ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my cars acceleration

ur megane r26
hiya i hope this is in the right thread, but i think i may have a problem with my car but not 100% sure as i cant remember what it was like when i first bought it, basicalli when i accelerate hard it takes a few seconds to react to it and then it jolts when it does pick up, after that it is fine but that is pretty annoyin as i cant just put my foot down i have to lower it u no any help will be much appreciated

Lots of Alfas
Check the spark plugs, it could be a fuel injection fault which can be a b**ch to find. How many miles has it done? Does it do it everytime?

ur megane r26
it has done 21000 miles roughly and yer obviousli i no it is going to be a bit worst from cold but even warm it is like it, but only when i put my foot flat down

ur megane r26
yer like i said it goes fine otherwise but it is quite annoyin, do the spark plugs and that get checked in a service?

audi a6 3.0tdi
check the plugs as said but also check your air filter it may need changing which will only cost a few quid.

Peugeot 306 HDi
is it worth upgrading the air filter??? i mayb/hopefulli selling the car in a few months so

Yes, it makes it a lot smoother. You'll get loads of arguments for and against upgraded filters from people, mainly about how they increase noise, not power, but my car is smoother and just a little bit throatier further up the rev range. A power increase, if there has been any, isn't obvious.

Dunno how much you know about them but mine is a K&N and cost £30 and should never need replacing, just cleaning (oh and I have the same engine).

audi a6 3.0tdi
even changing it to a new standard filter should help but if you want you could get an aftermarket one

Peugeot 306 HDi
Umm pretty easy. I know nowt about mechanics but managed it, with a friend who does overseeing just in case. You've just gotta take the top of the airbox off and slot it in. Try YB Filters (they have an ebay shop too). Umm K&N are good, and I've read about ITG(?) I think.

ur megane r26
sounds good thanks alot, 30 quid aint too bad either realli so is any cutting needed? and does it make it sound much better?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I dont think it is anything to do with the air filter, more ignition. Why dont you just take it to a garage and ask them to take a look? I would just get a full service either from a garage or do it yourself and save £30 and im sure that should sort it. Ps does it hunt, or die when you blip the throttle and let it the revs die?

Peugeot 306 HDi
sounds good thanks alot, 30 quid aint too bad either realli so is any cutting needed? and does it make it sound much better?
Nope, easy as slot in and out. Even if this isn't the problem you're having it is a worthwhile addition. Sounds a wee bit better when you rev it quite highly (I would say 3,3.5k rpm+). No problem, good luck with getting the problem sorted.

ur megane r26
Nope, easy as slot in and out. Even if this isn't the problem you're having it is a worthwhile addition. Sounds a wee bit better when you rev it quite highly (I would say 3,3.5k rpm+). No problem, good luck with getting the problem sorted.

thanks mate

Ps does it hunt, or die when you blip the throttle and let it the revs die?.

what you mean by this????

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Is the idle lumpy or smooth, does it sound like its struggaling. Does the idle remain constantly at 1k or move up and down? When you rev it then lift your foot off does it go straight back to 1k or move up and down a bit.

Just sounds like you need to change the ignition stuff, if you are this desperate take it to a garage as you cant really guide someone over the internet without seeing the car,

ur megane r26
ok right cheers well basicalli when i start the car it revs especialli when cold but then left the car will drop to like 500 revs i think it goes lower than 1000 revs, it seems smooth sometimes it cuts out, and sometimes it seems to cut out, i think it goes bk down again but never really tried revvin it to be honest, r u in portsmouth???? i live in swanage near poole

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
(172 FF Phase 2) I seem to have a similar problem to this - the idle seems to drop to 500 RPM (this seems to be normal to some) when the car is sat and this is when the engine is hot too. When I dip the clutch to pull away the revs seem to dip, I have a small period of rough acceleration, then when revs get past 1k RPM it seems ok. Have fitted a new set of NGK plugs (recommended) so far...........

Any suggestions please help - the problem is particularly worse when the car is uphill.

My 182 since i bought it (30k miles) it is slow to react to acceleration up to 5k revs then it's like it has a turbo boost and I'm shot from 5k revs to 8k revs in no time at all, incredible acceleration. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, it doesn't cut out or any other problems on revving

The sparks aren't included on your standard Renault service with a 182 if I'm correct as they cost way more than the standard ones.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I see.

When I first got the car it never did this so imagine something is sticking / needs replacing?

ur megane r26
My 182 since i bought it (30k miles) it is slow to react to acceleration up to 5k revs then it's like it has a turbo boost and I'm shot from 5k revs to 8k revs in no time at all, incredible acceleration. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, it doesn't cut out or any other problems on revving

The sparks aren't included on your standard Renault service with a 182 if I'm correct as they cost way more than the standard ones.

mate this is normal, although i wouldnt say mine is slow below 5k revs, but once you get to 5k revs the cams get into their correct timing or something, loads of threads on it, and it does boost off but there is no turbo strapped to your car lol

ur megane r26
(172 FF Phase 2) I seem to have a similar problem to this - the idle seems to drop to 500 RPM (this seems to be normal to some) when the car is sat and this is when the engine is hot too. When I dip the clutch to pull away the revs seem to dip, I have a small period of rough acceleration, then when revs get past 1k RPM it seems ok. Have fitted a new set of NGK plugs (recommended) so far...........

Any suggestions please help - the problem is particularly worse when the car is uphill.

hey mate, you said you have fitted a set of NGK plugs, did you fit them to try and solve the problem, or did you fit it before hand, because i swear i have read about the NGK plugs causing havock with the way the car idles

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
No mate, problems before I fitting the new plugs - when starting off I have to give it loads of revs to avoid stalling it, as soon as it gets going it is ok. I never had this problem when I first got the car so something cannot be right..........

I too have the fab NGK plugs and itg filter, and my old l reg 1.8 16v bad boy goes like s**t off a shovel!!

i think ur proplem could be related to the severe cold weather we been having, and having an air filter that allows even more cold air through could be causing probs with your air/fuel ratio, and all that other witch craft.

Lots of Alfas
Take it to Renault or a decent garage, I dont think you can fix this problem yourself as these issues are hard to diagnose.

200bhp 172 cup
cold air is more dense than warm air so it carries more oxygen into your cylinders thus creating more power! so i very much doubt your cars are loosing power because of the cold ;)

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I am getting a matchported inlet and thinking it may be worth getting the head reconditioned (whilst the cambelt is done too as overdue!).

When uprating the head, what the best options to go for? K-tec seem to have endless performance parts so wondering what is best to go for?

Thanks

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Please find the video of my problem:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObwaJKaplc

Seems that the revs slightly go up, then dip before moving up again. This often causes an almost stall (especially from standing start on hills, etc).

Anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause.

Sorry for the sideways video!

hiya i hope this is in the right thread, but i think i may have a problem with my car but not 100% sure as i cant remember what it was like when i first bought it, basicalli when i accelerate hard it takes a few seconds to react to it and then it jolts when it does pick up, after that it is fine but that is pretty annoyin as i cant just put my foot down i have to lower it u no any help will be much appreciated

Did you get this sorted mate?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine has same problem and very annoying. Had a good day mind as fitted external temp sensor and the lumbar support!

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Can someone please have a quick ganders at the video?

Just need some guidance before I start taking the engine apart!!

clio sport 182
cant really tell much from that short video tbh,throttle response is normal not to responsive in the newer sports due to the fact that the accelerator has no physical connection to the throttle body so its a lil sluggish to react,and acceleration does pick up at 5k revs people call it the 5k kick due to the engine being at its happiest and as for reving up to 8k i dont think so mine goes up to 7250 or there abouts with the rs tuner,get a better video and post it up mate

ur megane r26
Did you get this sorted mate?

na mate i didnt get it sorted in the end, i just chopped it in for a 182, seemed like the better choice lol, however i did talk to mike from rentech and he said it is very common and it was something to do with the loom, and that part of it needed to be replaced, however was going to be a couple of hundred quid. I am not 100% sure if it is common on all mark 2's or if it was something to do with non rs' or what.