ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cars just been diagnosed with suspected chain tensioner fault

clio sport 172
What a sad day it is my little clio sport 172 03 has had so many new bits these past few months and now it's officially dead since the chains now just broken .. What do I do now take it to the scrap heap ?? Booo [emoji24]I'm heart broken it's been my car for as long as I can remember and I feel totally attached to it lol

Chain tensioner?......chain tensioner? is that what they told you? if so, a second opinion is required LOL.....it doesnt have a chain, its a belt.....

As those lot above have said, it's belt driven and not a chain. I'd take it to another garage that knows what they're on about.

clio sport 172
I called out my recovery people and this local company are who work for all the breakdown company's, I've tried swapping breakdown firms but they all send the same firm to recover my car. And this is what they wrote on my piece of paper "suspected chain tensioner fault "said it wasn't drivable and I was told they would send the truck to me to take it to my garage in the next village , but when the truck came just now he drove it over the road to his truck and no loud noise could be heard! I was trying to ask him stuff and said the noise isn't even there now when u took it over the road so he made a high rev an said oh it doesn't sound right and wouldn't say no more to me . He then got out an walked round my car to inspect it and says "oh it's nice tidy little car this isn't it ! " I've had trouble off this recovery garage b4 they tried to claim over a year ago that the car was not fixable and it would cost me to much to fix and why don't I think of taking some Peugeot car off them instead ! I said no thanks I want MY car back and got them to tow it back home were I got someone else to look at it and all it turned out to be was an injector costing me roughly £100 compared to what they said it would of been something like £800 for a new ecu and after doing it they couldn't guarantee it would fix the car basically saying I couldn't win and trying to push me into a corner about swapping for one of there cars they had ! I think someone In that garage wanted my car an was trying to rip me off with some piece of s**t to swap ! An now this has happened so il see what my garage have to say about it

Do a bit of reading and gather info and advice / second opinion. Go along with their belt story. Speak to their manager.. slap down the proof its belt not chain driven etc. Watch thier stupid faces drop and tell them to **** off. Hate people like this! Tried charging me a fortune a few years back.. fiesta was crunching into gears.. the garage said it could be anything.. but apparently it eould cost me on ave. £60 odd for 'parts' and £120 labour.. a quick google, a trip to out, £2.50 and about 5 mins of my time she was sorted!

clio sport 172
I changed the belt when I first owned the car about 6 years ago so it probs was due to get re done only I didn't realise , and banther why call me a r****d ?! If you have nothing nice to say then please just keep your opinions to your self . I am a single woman I pay for breakdown to help me if my car gets stuck as I have no man to help me. I've tried changing break down company 3 times , but every one of them use this same firm to come to the rescue so no I am not a r****d, like sideways said ( I had no choice!! ) the garage were they have taken the car to is honest and decent, it's nothing to do with the recovery's garage I'd never send my car to there ever again. I shall find out when my mechanic calls me later exactly what's what, and I'm living in hope them recovery blokes where wrong

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I failed to see your distinction through a fairly jumbled post #7 between the breakdown recovery business and your local garage. My apologies. Had you knowingly returned your car to a dodgy garage that would have been retarded,

I wouldnt listen to anything a recovery firm say anyway, especially if he revved a car with a suspected snapped 'chain'.

Surely there is no problem if you can just get them to take it to your garage? If you trust them they should give you a good diagnosis. Lets hope its not terminal.

How fast were you going when the belt snapped?

172 Turbo
As above, where do you live. A single woman with a broken Clio should have some of the members running to your aid

PH2 172
I called out my recovery people and this local company are who work for all the breakdown company's, I've tried swapping breakdown firms but they all send the same firm to recover my car. And this is what they wrote on my piece of paper "suspected chain tensioner fault "said it wasn't drivable and I was told they would send the truck to me to take it to my garage in the next village , but when the truck came just now he drove it over the road to his truck and no loud noise could be heard! I was trying to ask him stuff and said the noise isn't even there now when u took it over the road so he made a high rev an said oh it doesn't sound right and wouldn't say no more to me . He then got out an walked round my car to inspect it and says "oh it's nice tidy little car this isn't it ! " I've had trouble off this recovery garage b4 they tried to claim over a year ago that the car was not fixable and it would cost me to much to fix and why don't I think of taking some Peugeot car off them instead ! I said no thanks I want MY car back and got them to tow it back home were I got someone else to look at it and all it turned out to be was an injector costing me roughly £100 compared to what they said it would of been something like £800 for a new ecu and after doing it they couldn't guarantee it would fix the car basically saying I couldn't win and trying to push me into a corner about swapping for one of there cars they had ! I think someone In that garage wanted my car an was trying to rip me off with some piece of s**t to swap ! An now this has happened so il see what my garage have to say about it

IF IT STARTS AND RUNS,THE BELT IS NOT BROKEN.

I struggled to read the walls of text, so just read the other comments.

Sadly, that garage/recovery/person has NO clue what they're on about, the engine is belt driven, not chain driven, and also it wouldn't start if it was knackered.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
for help please answer these questions as short and as simply as possible.

where abouts the country are you?
why did you call the recovery truck?
where is the car now?
does it still start/run/drive?

with these questions answered CS will be more than able to guide you in the right direction :)

BG Clio 182 FF
for help please answer these questions as short and as simply as possible.

where abouts the country are you?
why did you call the recovery truck?
where is the car now?
does it still start/run/drive?

with these questions answered CS will be more than able to guide you in the right direction :)

And pics :quiet:

Clio 1.6 16v
Hasn't anybody picked up on the OP saying the guy drove it and the noise had gone?
Doesn't sound very cam belt related to me?

Clio 1.6 16v

Here: but when the truck came just now he drove it over the road to his truck and no loud noise could be heard!