ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio 172 Ph1

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
As promised, some pics of my Clio 172 Ph1. Nothing anybody hasn't seen before but nevertheless here it is!

As I said in my intro post, I had to downgrade my car when I upgraded my house. Infact, I had to twice, went from a newish BMW 120d to a 53 reg Mini Cooper S then to the Clio. I was really pleased with it because I had looked at some drab, boring cars but then I saw this in about the same price bracket as I was looking (few hundred more).

Although it was a downgrade, I've had as much fun in this car as any of mine. It's also probably the fastest accelerating car I've owned and I've had quite a few, those include an E46 BMW 330Ci Sport, an MGZS180 (that was quick, at the time I remember it not being that far behind a clio sport), the Mini Cooper S (that was 198bhp and the Clio was still quicker) and the re-mapped 120D.

It never missed a beat until 2 weeks ago today when (I think, judging by advice from the experts on here) the crank pulley slipped, causing a piston / valve collision resulting in zero compression! I haven't confirmed yet whether the collision took place but the chances are it did.

My dilemma is, do I put a 2nd hand engine in and hope for the best (there's no point in me spending a lot of money on it, as it isn't worth a lot and it will probably sold within 6 months), or sell it as is, save myself a lot of work and buy something really drab for the wife to run around in for the next 6 months or so!

The 2nd option seems easier but at least I know the rest of the Clio is good. It's had a new exhaust, new (2nd hand all-be-it) suspension, new discs and pads all around, new wheel bearings, MOT'd until August etc etc. With another cheap car, I could still get a load of problems.

Anyway, enough waffle - I tend to do that. Here are the pics:

2010-08-2116-30-12_0029.jpg

2010-08-2116-29-52_0028.jpg

2010-03-2719-00-44_0006.jpg

2010-03-2718-59-11_0003.jpg

Last edited:
  FormulaFord Ecoboost
Nice, what wheels you got on that? Are they still 15s?

I think, if it happened to mine, I'd simply replace the engine as I know the rest of my car is well looked after

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Thanks guys, think I might, it just looks a nightmare with the air con and power steering! I'm used to working on older, simpler cars! The wheels are just some cheapo's that look vaguely similar to originals, shame they weren't on it! They are still 15" which is good imo because it keeps tyres cheap as chips! If I do keep it, think I'll get a cheap wheel & tyre package just to freshen it up as the ones on it are looking a bit tired now! A couple of people have said I might get 500-700 squid for it even with knackered engine which is what's tempting me. Cheers, Nick

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Na, that lip on the bumper is sort of warped from heat I think. You would have seen it better on front view but reg keep coming back for some reason even though I painted over is in ms paint!!!

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Woohoo, thanks to a great local guy on here (clio genius) sourcing and fitting a new engine for me, the little phase 1 is back on the road and sweeter than ever so can't thank him enough. Want to keep it more than ever now and vow to look after it more!

Nick

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Well, unfortunately the Clio has to make way now for my new toy - VX220. I don't really want to sell it, I was going to use it through the winter but don't think it'll do it the world of good sat outside for 6 months at a time so figured it's best to sell while it's still got some MOT and Tax on it. Myself and even the wife are quite sad, even she enjoyed driving it! :( Still, it will give someone else a vast amount of pleasure like it gave me but for a lot less money. I paid £2100 and spent about £1000 over the year I had it which has basically refreshed most of the mechanicals.

I'm looking for £1650 but would be willing to negotiate.

PM me if interested and I can give you all the details. It's advertised on piston head and ebay, if no luck there I might just pay my membership here and stick it in the for sale section. If I can't get decent money I will just keep it and try to keep it moving a little.

Thanks,

Nick