ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my clio 182 is quicker than my previous corsa vxrs

RB Clio 182
Really quick these little things... i love it, everyone on corsa d and vxr online thinks the corsa vxr would be quicker but it isnt(from experience).

Ive owned a corsa vxr for 4 years so i have a good idea of how they perform.

s**t thread but maybe useful to some.

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
my friend had an arctic corsa vxr meaning 208bhp or something like that, i had a trophy at the time and it kept up with it no problem.

SQ5
I've got a 201bhp VXR and a standard Clio 172. There isn't anything in it, one day the Corsa feels quicker the next the Clio. Can do the same speeds at certain points on certain roads.

RB Clio 182
How do you come to this conclusion out of interest? I've never driven a Vxr corsa.

I owned a corsa vxr stage 3(stage 3 for around 1 year) and a corsa vxr nurburgring edition for 1 year, when these clios are rolling and in their power band, nothing in the same league comes close imo.

He owned one.

As above, i did many miles in my vxrs, but for pure power the vxr just doesnt come close if you are a good driver imo.

RB Clio 182
Thats not a true conclusion, they need to be side by side imo i bet the clio would go by. The vxr owners think they are unbeatable tho ,lol.

SQ5
Side by side with my missus driving the Corsa she managed to keep up. There really is nothing in it.

When hers was rolling roaded at 201 mine was at 231 and I would absolutely annihilate it. Now in this standard one running circa 165 I'd guess there is nothing in it, side by side, measuring times or speeds to certain places.

It's just the same Type R argument from 5 years ago.

SQ5
On a track the Clio would run circles around a Corsa VXR, but straight line the Corsa is all about power.

RB Clio 182
On a track the Clio would run circles around a Corsa VXR, but straight line the Corsa is all about power.

You would be suprised mate, same driver in a clio 182 and a corsa vxr, same day, same place both satandard, id say the clio would win, even up the strip.(same driver)

You know when you own a car 4 years plus(corsa vxr) you get to know it inside out) the clio ive owned destroys it in every possile way.

SQ5
It would be even, as one time the Clio would get a better start, the next the Corsa. Too many variables on two cars that are so similar in a straight line.

I've been driving 172's for years now and the fact is they're too similar speed wise in a straight line to even compare.

And you need to make up your mind how you would like a test done as same driver can't drive side by side with themselves ;)

182 Turbo
RS Clios always punch above they're weight. Cracking cars, and can't really get better value for money. However they are even when the VXR is standard, and only a clown would keep a VXR standard, it's a turbo, tune it!
Then.. Bye bye clio.

RB Clio 182
RS Clios always punch above they're weight. Cracking cars, and can't really get better value for money. However they are even when the VXR is standard, and only a clown would keep a VXR standard, it's a turbo, tune it!
Then.. Bye bye clio.

My arden vxr was stage 3, 242 bhp, my corsa burg was standard, up the strip i got a better time in my burg.

Its not all about power, the corsa has too much torque bottom/mid range, then its like a 1.2 after 5k.

Trust me, the clio is quicker.

182 Turbo
I'd have to disagree a 242bhp VXR puts it at 197.3bhp per tonne (1223kg curb weight)
whereas a clio 182 with roughly 170 bhp because that's what they make equates to around 155bhp per tonne.
a clio is not quicker.

SG boost'd 200
Bhp is not everything! Don't be fooled into thinking that it is...the key to maximise any power is the delivery of it, because anyone can do a burnout off the lights ;)

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd have to disagree a 242bhp VXR puts it at 197.3bhp per tonne (1223kg curb weight)
whereas a clio 182 with roughly 170 bhp because that's what they make equates to around 155bhp per tonne.
a clio is not quicker.
My daughter has modified her vxr turbo, it makes the clutch slip and has fractured an a/c pipe also her front tyres are now bald and 235 35 18,s are hard to find and expensive, i would rather have a 182 anyday.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Ok mate, im just so happy that im not paying over 300 pound a month for my car(vxr burg corsa anymore) and i am having much more fun. Its unbeleivable :)

Testimony that a good second hand buy is not only better on the wallet, but better for the soul!

I could never bring myself to buy brand new, knowing the types of cars I could have for the identical money that may be 5/7 years old. Yes you dont get a warranty, but that car has already gone through its teething stage and most, if not all, of the from-new niggles and recalls will be done. So spend a grand or two less on that second hand buy than you would have the brand new car, if you buy well, you won't even need that 2k for repairs.

And with manufacturing standards being so good in the last circa 10 years I think anyone would be daft to think otherwise.

182 Turbo
Bhp is not everything! Don't be fooled into thinking that it is...the key to maximise any power is the delivery of it, because anyone can do a burnout off the lights ;)

Bhp per tonne, peak bhp, torque figures , any way you look at it the VXR will be faster straight line, what are you gunna tell me next? Clio's more aero-dynamic making it faster?
ill agree in this case the clio would maybe have an advantage round track. But CS members get way too ahead of themselves about clio handling. They're could be a car with a slight handling disadvantage over the clio but with 150bhp and 150 lbft more and all CS members jump on the "Clios faster on a track" band wagon. I'm sorry but I don't give a f**k if yours handles better 150bhp more makes me not give a f**k if you can go round the corner at 40 and me at 35. Your still gunna get owned pulling out that corner and up the next straight

SQ5
I'm a massive Clio fan and they are even. As I said to many different variations that would cause one to get ahead in one drag and the other the next.

They're even.

Just search Clio Sport vs Type R on here, look at the posts from 5 years ago and change the word Type R to VXR and its the same argument, the VXR Just doesn't handle as well!

182 Turbo
Definitely , in standard forms they are pretty much even, look on torque stats or Parkers, pretty much same 0-60, 60-100 and 1/4 mile they're pretty much the same (VXR) being very slightly faster , but a 242bhp VXR is a different matter.

320d
Funnily enough yesterday I had a brand new VXR Corsa sit right on my back bumper on a roundabout, I pulled about 2 car lengths through 2nd and 3rd on an uphill stretch of DC.

Certainly wiped the smile off the VXR drivers face. When I slowed down a little as I caught up with traffic he stereotypically undertook two cars including myself.

Swift Sport
I've owned several quick cars but that doesn't mean I could accurately tell you which is the quickest, I could only tell you what felt ​quick.

SQ5
Definitely , in standard forms they are pretty much even, look on torque stats or Parkers, pretty much same 0-60, 60-100 and 1/4 mile they're pretty much the same (VXR) being very slightly faster , but a 242bhp VXR is a different matter.

I own both now and drive both on a daily basis so have direct comparison and they are even. Book figures don't mean anything!

The problem with going from one car to another that is so similar is you'll usually see the new one through rose tinted glasses.

182 Turbo
I've owned several quick cars but that doesn't mean I could accurately tell you which is the quickest, I could only tell you what felt ​quick.

+1

A clio is going to feel quicker than a VXR because its more redefined.
my mates saxo vts always "felt" quick but when I had my scirocco tdi I was pulling on him from rolling 30 mph which was epic funny because I'm accelerating so smooth and not even feeling the road with its ultra smooth suspension , and ultra quiet Eco blue engine and he's beside me decat screaming off the limiter pops and bangs and I'm pulling on him lmao.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Exactly this^

this Is where the argument starts about the 1*2's being a better car than the 197/200

It's not, the new cars are smoother and more refined.

MCS R56
Bhp per tonne, peak bhp, torque figures , any way you look at it the VXR will be faster straight line, what are you gunna tell me next? Clio's more aero-dynamic making it faster?
ill agree in this case the clio would maybe have an advantage round track. But CS members get way too ahead of themselves about clio handling. They're could be a car with a slight handling disadvantage over the clio but with 150bhp and 150 lbft more and all CS members jump on the "Clios faster on a track" band wagon. I'm sorry but I don't give a f**k if yours handles better 150bhp more makes me not give a f**k if you can go round the corner at 40 and me at 35. Your still gunna get owned pulling out that corner and up the next straight

Most sense I've read on here for a while.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
View attachment 90308
Most sense I've read on here for a while.
I expect i would get a similar response if i posted how good my 200 was on the vxr forum, all i can say is that we have two renaults a rb 197 and my nimbus 200 and we enjoy driving both and the cs club is something special, weve had ford rs 2000s, golf gti 16v, lancia intergralle evo2, porsche 944 turbo, audi quattro and we are both eligible for ford discount and we both love our clios, the renault customer service are good vauxhall are not.

Last edited:
  FF Racing Blue 182
nothing like shooting down a guy whos only showing some passion for his motor...loads of factors can decide the outcome of these duals like getting into gear on time who got the better line are the two cars taking off at same speed and so on

but you know what i mean

SQ5
nothing like shooting down a guy whos only showing some passion for his motor...loads of factors can decide the outcome of these duals like getting into gear on time who got the better line are the two cars taking off at same speed and so on

but you know what i mean

I've said all that and it fell on deaf ears