ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio just cost me £400 for M.O.T :(

Lionel Richie
i think their MOT testers are deliberately out to find problems with cars so they can pray on people and rip them off, not saying that's the case everywhere, but it goes on, bmw quoted john over the road £300 for wheel alignment on a mini!

A ANIMAL
Not even solid gold pads should cost that much. Plus quikshit will not use genuine renault parts - so they probably cost about £12 to buy

Renault Clio 1.4 Sport
I might have looked around but i hadnt noticed my Mot was running out, it actally got moted 2 days after it ran out because thats the only time could get it down there. And i needed it back asap.

fiesta 1.25
RBT Front Brake Imbalance 27%
Anti-roll bar linkage fractured.
All 4 coil springs fractured.

Rear springs 45.60 each
Front 49.30 each
wheel alignment 26.95
brake disc 43.90 each
pads 64
stabiliser link 20

OMG!

£49.30 for one spring?I have a full set in the garage you could have had also got front pads you could have bought for £20

ouch!

Lesson well and truly learned!

I got front dics and pads for the 172 (mintex) for less then your 1 disc!

Are you still allowed to take your car away (if it fails MOT) get the work done privately/independantly and take it back for re-MOT within 7 or 10 days (or whatever the time period was) ??

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
A couple of things you should always do, ask for the bill to be explained and check what there saying is true, i.e speak to the tech and look at the parts that need replacing. i don't know whether you paid too much, although seems odd you paid more for your pads then discs and even paid £20 for them then i did for a set on a meg coupe from a main dealer!, its a case of what you see fit, i mean i only ever use a main dealer, the prices to other seem inflated but i am comfortable paying them as its ideal location for me, never ripped me off in the past with work that did not need doing- prime example was took the cup in as the brakes were squeaking, tech looked over, showed me the pads, discs told me about a notice issued by renault about the newer pads which fixed this problem, could have insisted on me having this done at £150 but said pads and discs were good- plus i could see that for myself, in all walked out of there without charge having wasted 20min of the techs time.

Citroen DS3 White
Always ask for the broken/worn out parts.

Never heard of cracked springs, they are either broken or not broken.

172 clio ph1
Are you still allowed to take your car away (if it fails MOT) get the work done privately/independantly and take it back for re-MOT within 7 or 10 days (or whatever the time period was) ??
yes you are still allowed to.

Ph1
I don't think at the time some people think to question a garage and certainly not one with such a well known name.

Yeah but its nothing really to do with reputation, just in general its kinda normal practice to ask how much somethings going to cost before letting someone do the work - If you dont ask this is what happens

Defo get a letter written to Kwik Fit HQ. Whats the worst that can happen?

Ph1
Dont forget this is a garage doing the work. To comapre how much of a con this is you have to calculate it from other garage(s) prices not how much you can buy the stuff off ebay and fit it yourself lol

182 FF Inferno
Feel your pain mate. I've just paid £263 to get my 182 through. (needed a new spring which was £123 genuine renault)

Yes, yes I know I could've got after market prolines or whatever but, like the OP, I needed the car back that day as the MOT was out.

Lesson learnt for next time though!! Put the car in for MOT a bit earlier, giving more time to source parts/ mates labour!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Luckily for Kwik Fit, Renault, and alot of garages in general, most car owners don't tend to question the prices they get quoted for work done as most only use the car as a way of getting from A to B...end of.

So...to us this sounds horrendous, and it is, but alot of people don't see it that way.
This is the reason why Renault dealers DESPISE Renaultsport customers.
We are too fussy, too picky, too well informed.

This is the reason why Renault dealers DESPISE Renaultsport customers.
We are too fussy, too picky, too well informed.

We give Renaultsport owners parts and labour discount so they come back to us all the time, we've done two 182 cambelts in the last week.
Depends on the dealer I guess...

ITB'd MK1
no way in hell that all 4 springs were cracked, so that's b****cks, and they're about £25 each anyway. Brake discs should have been about £50 for the pair, not each.

End of the day, Kwikfit can charge what they like, and you took the car there and agreed for them to do the work, so there's not a lot you can do.

Lionel Richie
below are the retail prices from renault for a mk2 phs1 clio 1.4S (X reg)

front discs pair £115.50+vat
front pad set £32.23+vat
front spring £81.75+vat
rear spring £81.75+vat