ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my clio wont start 172

172 CUP
So ive had a funky problem starting the 172 recently

put the key in all light on but then on the final turn of the key nothing not even trying to turn over. o get it to start you have to get out lock it (it then beeps) get back in and it might start if no keep repeting till it does. this only happens every now and again. I thought it was the little wire to the starter motor but cant seem to find it.

I thought if its imboliser it at least turns over but not fire. mine dose apsolouty zip. some times turning the key a few times will get it to start.

Any ideas?

Anyone??

steve

BG 182
General rule of thumb is that if there's no noise at all when turning the key, it's your battery or alternator. Might be worth getting them checked out first matey.

172 CUP
Defo not either of those as it works fine most of the time. And to mend it you get out lock it, unlock it and get back in. I've just read a post about wires from the ecu which I will look at shortly. It's not imboliser as the light inside dose not flash it's stays on to say it has picked up the key

172 CUP
So the cup's been sitting on the drive for a week now not starting. The fact it sometimes starts is ok but i wont know when i fixed it so im leaving it broken until i fix it. Ive tried earth wires, wiggling the white wire to the starter motor but as it disappears behind the heatshild i cant get to it.

The big fuse on the battery is ok i am now pretty sure its the white wire to the starter motor. How do i get to the end were it i connected onto the motor its self. I looked underneath and cant see it. Can i get from the drivers side wheel arch? I want to put a multimeter onto the end of it to make sure there is 12v when the key is turned.

There are loads of threads on here about the problem but none seem to say which is easiest to get to. i find by leaning over the top of the engine i can wiggle the wire but not the spade connector.

Can I undo the manifold bolts is the a gasket when doing them back up or simply a case of undo them and do them up when done.

Steve

Ex-User (36231)

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a similar problem, replacing key fob battery worked for a while. Other than that get it on a CLIP to save yourself time and effort.

172 CUP
would love a spare key but at £150 I haven't got one yet. It has only not been starting every now and again. Imob light on dash is on then goes off like normal so i believe the key is ok. Im going to grab a key battery tomorrow and try that and look for the other end of the little white wire. I might even cut what i can see of the white wire and join it back together after testing for 12v but that's a little extreme. Its just so cold outside and dark in the evenings at the moment.

RacingBlue + IceBurg
Mine did this just last week. Cut out as I was driving. Managed to pull over, and the car did nothing as i turned the key. Then when i opened the door it started beeping.

AA came out, and the connector at the end of the wire joined to the Altenator had corroded and broke off. The guy crimped on a new connector, started first time and has been fine since

172 CUP
I can't see it being the altinator as that is just a tool to charge the battery up and provide power when running etc. I'm under the impression the car would work without one for as long as the battery had some juice. It's got to be something to do with the starting system.

Renault 5 16v
would love a spare key but at £150 I haven't got one yet. It has only not been starting every now and again. Imob light on dash is on then goes off like normal so i believe the key is ok. Im going to grab a key battery tomorrow and try that and look for the other end of the little white wire. I might even cut what i can see of the white wire and join it back together after testing for 12v but that's a little extreme. Its just so cold outside and dark in the evenings at the moment.

U R on the right lines,u need to check this supply feed first.
If u have the 12v feed on crank then the starter is at fault.If u don't have the feed then check the starter relay in the fuse box to the right of the battery,relay should be small black one.

172 CUP
I finally have a working Clio again, I was really not keen on digging around with the starter motor for the main reason I cant get to it. I started to take the relays out and check there fitting (not there operation) and try the car after each one. I then noticed this yellow wire so gave it a wiggle, oh yea now the car starts. The problem has to be to-do with either a loose connection with what ever is under this tape. Im not sure why 2 wires are joined together and it looks like a very after market join right there in the middle of the wire. If it dosn't start again I now know to wiggle this area and then ill investigate it when the weather warms up.

clio wires (Small).JPG