ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cup feels really restrictive!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
As the title, my cup feels really restrictive from about 2k rpm to just past 4k rpm on full throttle in any gear really?.

At first i put it down to the stupid k&n it had fitted to it, but today i fitted a pipercross viper and it does feel better but still has a massive FLAT spot! Is there any reason for this?

my car is on 45K miles BTW

200sx s14a
viper ftl, best off with standard air box and uprated filter really. and to be honest cliosports dont really pull hard till after 5k, go on lad give it some welly :)

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
But it is really flat mate, sometimes it feels normal and will pull a little but most of the time it is very flat below 4k rpm.

Will an oil change and plugs be better? Also do they have iradium plugs??

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Vipers are w**k. They induce flatspots, i fooked mine off after a few months. The opening to the filter is very small, its actually smaller than the two entries on the standard airbox..... Standard airbox and replacement ITG filter is the best set up on a budget

Ph1
Your sucking more air in with a IK so of course theres the potential for a flat spot. Thats why folk map cars to iron out dips and flat spots, set up and match fueling etc

Re-set the ecu (disconnect the battery) for half a hour.

clio 182 turbo
But it is really flat mate, sometimes it feels normal and will pull a little but most of the time it is very flat below 4k rpm.

please try and bear in mind you are in a 2.0 clio you're not going to feel any real pull at any rpm. even at 5000rpm it's still pretty poor in the grand scheme of things!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph

please try and bear in mind you are in a 2.0 clio you're not going to feel any real pull at any rpm. even at 5000rpm it's still pretty poor in the grand scheme of things!

I'm not expecting warp speeds, but there is defintly something not right between 2-4 rpm. Like said some times it is fine, but the majorty of the time it just doesnt pull at all like the car has no torque??

Any more suggestions, please

Monaco Blue 172
Standard airbox and replacement ITG filter is the best set up on a budget
werd.

as has been said u do need to rag it around 4k to feel like it's shifting, below that i generally find it's quite sluggish and more of a gradual increase. i've had mine for a couple of years now and it still catches me out sometimes :eek:

i've been reasonably impressed with the torque from mine from low revs - i think it pulls well for a relatively peaky engine. can you drive another car to be sure it's not just your perception? have you checked your plugs for colour?

172 cup

lmao what are you on mate? mine pulls everywhere.. just much more noticeable after 5k. By 'in the grand scheme of things' do you mean comparing it to cars 3/4/5/6x the price?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

lmao what are you on mate? mine pulls everywhere.. just much more noticeable after 5k. By 'in the grand scheme of things' do you mean comparing it to cars 3/4/5/6x the price?

Yeah!? Compared to a Ferrari it's a snail lol, but compared to the 206s/Fiestas out there it's pretty nippy for what it is!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
I shall try changing the plugs to see if it makes a diffrence.

What plugs are recomended, are the super 4 any good?

172 CUP!
Are there any test results to prove which method is better? The reason I ask is because I have been playing around with both the ITG filter and a viper IK and cant find much difference between the two on the road, other than the fact that the viper sounds that more throaty (obviously!).

I cant say I have noticed any flat spots or degrade in performance compared to the ITG though?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Are there any test results to prove which method is better? The reason I ask is because I have been playing around with both the ITG filter and a viper IK and cant find much difference between the two on the road, other than the fact that the viper sounds that more throaty (obviously!).

I cant say I have noticed any flat spots or degrade in performance compared to the ITG though?

Cheers mate, just what i needed to read

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There was a Cup that Fred saw make a very big gain on the RR with a viper and a remap. 13hp is the figure I have in my mind, but I could be wrong. Either way it was doing sub 15 second 1/4 miles.

172 CUP!
Thats a pretty good gain. The reason I asked was because I know from experience that word can get around a forum and before you know it a product has a bad reputation when not many people have much experience of it. I am sure there are some people on here who have used a viper and had a bad experience but it would be great to get some dyno results of IK's!

Astra van,Mk1 nova
imo my cup doesnt come alive until after 5k and its running fine and normal power, go and drive a 1.2-1.6 car for a couple of days and then drive the cup again, it will feel normal:)

and if your still not happy go and get a rolling road done, see what the figures tell you.

ClioSport 172 Cup
I messed around for months with air filter setups, eventually I relocated my battery to the boot and removed my airbox altogether, put a BMC CDA straight off the throttle body with a cold feed pipe down to the wheel well. It pulls like a b*****d at the 4k mark and it pulls and feels more responsive in the lower rpms too!

ZX6R B1H
My 172 in std form with a itg filter and std airbox was aweful, even worse with the standard exhaust. So as with sammy i binned the std airbox moved the battery to the boot and now have a halfords £25 filter with a feed direct from the foglight.

I also binned the backbox for a few weeks and it made the car a whole lot more responsive and it certainly shifted over the standard setup. The system was fooked anyways and the box was blowing so rather than it fall off mid corner i took it off :D

Same with chris's 172 his backbox fell off on the road and it turned it into a beast again, he also runs an open induction system.

ha ha ha ha, Just looked a the date as well... back to 2008 we go :D

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Did u get the problem sorted Kev?

As im interested in the engine for my ph1...

MCS R56

What kind of bs are you talking? No real pull above 5000rpm?

It's actually quite good in the grand scheme of things. What are you comparing it to?