ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My day with Clio 4

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I was lucky enough to borrow a new Clio 4 from work for the day yesterday. I gave it back this afternoon and thought i'd post up my initial thoughts of it, along with some photographs I have taken of it.

So first off i'll start with the outside:

B2AD2857-69F8-4726-B422-2BD7D20A2DFB-862-000000D91C3B5D8A.gif

A31B35E4-E120-4C09-8700-44337A4768D9-862-000000D915B0B415.gif

41B81621-C7E2-4E29-B524-4A72232A3BC9-862-000000D909F3494A.gif

8B9C0B14-8256-475A-A4B3-E9315D109052-862-000000D9028935A2.gif

From a personal point of view I think it looks fantastic. The day time running lights, the big badge at the front and the squatted rear end. I really like it. The wheels on this particular model are not the ones I would spec, but they don't look too bad. Aside from my own opinion, it got a lot of looks on the road as I was driving it, with people slowing down having a good look at it. When I parked it up it got a lot of positive comments as well (in fact i'm sure I sold a few! The public appeared to love it). It's not neccesarily going to appeal to everyone on here, but like it or not their is a market for it.

Onto the interior, it's a definite improvement on the current Mk3 (as you would expect).

5159360F-1653-4F55-A1EE-6B61BB1BB656-862-000000D8F9F51A5B.gif

E7ECDEA3-2E81-4F87-84B7-C3FBD90F89CA-862-000000D8F26D484A.gif

80264617-E2A5-4EA8-88C4-804B56371C45-862-000000D8EAE88C8A.gif

4F1F9973-1FBB-41BF-8C3C-C5A277DBA1BB-862-000000D8E3E890E6.gif

E0FFE80C-A051-4251-96C9-E16410068735-862-000000D8DCC4DB59.gif

9B2197EA-680C-47DE-8E77-0C5A41A2E766-862-000000D8D57EA7D5.gif

Now I wasn't a huge fan of the red dashboard, but I have to say it grew on me during the short time I had with it and I really like it. If it was my money I would probably chose the black dash. Quality is noticably better, with lots of little improvements. The heating controls have LED's above them that follow the temperature/bowers as you turn them up and down. The dials are noticibly better, as is the sound system. I generally really like the new cabin and it's a great place to sit. This model had the R-link and reverse camera - Again a great system and really slick. What made me laugh was it marks your driving out of 100 on the eco version when you switch the car off. It marks you on accleration/braking/mpg etc in terms of eco friendlyness. It's quite a good little game!

The engine in this one was the 1.5 dCi. It's a new engine I believe and grunt has much imrpoved. I seems to have more torque than my current 1.5 and it flies along in 5th gear. What surprised me the most was the handling - It's a 5 door car but I goes around corners better than my current mk3 does.

I'm really excited to see what Renaultsport have done to it, and after driving this thing I think it will be fantastic. No doubting it will be different to the current 200, but it will be class leader in it's own right I think.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
That interior is fcuking horrible. Looks a bit chavved up to me and those seats look like they offer no lateral support whatsoever. Hope the RS is a massive improvement.

107 Track Car & C4
I really like that, not sold of the body coloured interior, but not awful. I do like the way the DRL's are in the front grill, looks good.

Like you said, will be interesting to see what the Renaultsport one looks like when it's out and about on the road :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Really good thread on it i like it aswell i was rather impressed with it when i see it in paris

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I think they look cool (wish they did a 3 door though). You should have parked it next to you current car to see how much its dated it.

RS6 C7
That is the tackiest interior iv'e seen in a long time!

Looks so cheap and crap. It really doesn't pull the gloss black look off at all :(

I quite like the outside though & I think it will grow on a lot of people!.

It will appeal to old people and first time drivers and maybe some "funky" women. Not really a proper car though to me and i just couldn't own one. RS possibly but we will have to wait and see ;)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I think they look brilliant. Love the exterior. The interior does look a bit odd but i can see it looking good if it was all in black with a big set of recaros and a nice RS badge on the steering wheel.

People will hate it, but then they will all love it. Its the way it goes.

Sam!

Clio 200
Good write-up. I'm keen to have a go in one. If it drives as well as you say it does then the 200T might be something special after all.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Still can't make my mind up, think its one to definitely see in the flesh.

In some photos I like it and in others I don't. The first shop from a distance it looks horrible, but the close up shot I really like it.

Not sure on the gloss black interior bits either, I like how its trying to be modern but somehow I can't help thinking someone has rattle canned them lol.

Although it doesn't take much for it to be an improvement over mk2 and mk3 interior.

The dials look funky! Got a picture of them lit up?

Petrol Blue 182.
Its a shame they still use interior switches from the parts bin. Wing mirror adjuster looks identical to my 12 year old ph1's.

No doubt what so ever that it will sell. But it's not for me, and the styling is all wrong IMO.

225 Cup & Williams
Its a shame they still use interior switches from the parts bin. Wing mirror adjuster looks identical to my 12 year old ph1's.

No doubt what so ever that it will sell. But it's not for me, and the styling is all wrong IMO.

I was thinking the same thing. They could have at least changed little bits like that.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No need though. They're functional and work well enough.

If they had changed all those little items like everyone wants them to have done, it would probably add another £1k to the list price.

Considering how irrelevant a door mirror switch is to the whole ownership and driving experience I'm amazed they cause so much friction.

Actually, I'm not. It's a new Renault, it's sh*t until a few CS members have got them and then everyone will love them too.

Jap Box
Like the rear of it but hate everything else, why are cars looking more like 4x4's everyday! Interior looks horrid too and the gloss plastic would make me go insane with any fingerprints on it and the chrome :dead:

DRL requirement is piss too, amount of people now who go around in fog and rain with just them on is silly, they don't take into account the rear has no light at all so you can't f**king see them.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Nice little preview Luke :)

TBF this is the dci model so it's hardly going to appeal to many people here anyway. I'm sure there weren't many here intersted in the diesel mk2 or mk3.

Seems this sector of the market has become very competitive over recent years, so although i'm sure it'll sell, i doubt Renault will be able to shift as many of these as they did the mk2s.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
What bhp dci and what mpg will it do in the real world Luke not the fantasy of brochure world?

I like it tbh. Your first interior shot leaves a lot to be desired Boosh ;) :cool:

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Nice.

If you're this this positive about a derv version, your head will explode when you try the RS one!

You didn't say what your score out of a 100 was - bad?

Petrol Blue 182.
No need though. They're functional and work well enough.

If they had changed all those little items like everyone wants them to have done, it would probably add another £1k to the list price.

Considering how irrelevant a door mirror switch is to the whole ownership and driving experience I'm amazed they cause so much friction.

Actually, I'm not. It's a new Renault, it's sh*t until a few CS members have got them and then everyone will love them too.

lol ok then. :rolleyes:

Renaultsport 220T
I doubt they will change the offset centre dash console for the UK version. Car looks heavy.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
seeing this makes me realise that the mk3 isnt all that bad! i hope the gloss black interior is an option you can choose not to have.

its alright i guess, but i would choose a fiesta over it at the moment

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
What bhp dci and what mpg will it do in the real world Luke not the fantasy of brochure world?

I like it tbh. Your first interior shot leaves a lot to be desired Boosh ;) :cool:

About 60mpg mate2

Nice.

If you're this this positive about a derv version, your head will explode when you try the RS one!

You didn't say what your score out of a 100 was - bad?

51!

I doubt they will change the offset centre dash console for the UK version. Car looks heavy.

It's lighter than the mk3!

seeing this makes me realise that the mk3 isnt all that bad! i hope the gloss black interior is an option you can choose not to have.

its alright i guess, but i would choose a fiesta over it at the moment

You can customise the interior quite substantially tbh. You can change all the glossy back bits to various different colours.

Clio 172 cup
I actually lol'd at the fact they are STILL using the same wing mirror toggle switch that they used in every other clio for the last 20 years

FFS Renault......really????

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not that bad. I've seen a basic mk3. It's s**t.

Thanks for posting Luke. The exterior suits that colour quite a lot.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Same gearstick idea as the poor mk3 also which is a shame. Felt too "tall" in the Mk3.

120d M Sport
I was thinking the same thing. They could have at least changed little bits like that.

I clocked that right away too!! Nothing wrong with it I suppose but still amusing how old parts like that are still in use 12 years down the line on an ultra modern car.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
How was the rear visibility?
Usable rear screen looks small and C pillars quite big with tiny back quarter lights. Seems like a bad combo for seeing out the 3/4.

[/boring]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm genuinely gutted looking at that.

I was all up for ordering a RS as soon as I could but looking at that, it's fcuking dreadful. Still got the electric mirror switches from a 1994 laguna I see.... Top work! The same (god awful!) gearknob from the mk3 too. Windy windows in the back as well, nice touch. The start button is the same as a 2001 Laguna and the gloss finish on the dash will be scratched by the time the valeter at the dealers has prep'd it for the first owner... Awful.

Interior plastics are cheap, seats are cheap, the rear bumper is about 6 inches too high off the ground and it looks jacked up...

Honestly i'm gutted. I had such high hopes seeing as the 197 and the 200 were so good.

ffs.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm genuinely gutted looking at that.

I was all up for ordering a RS as soon as I could but looking at that, it's fcuking dreadful. Still got the electric mirror switches from a 1994 laguna I see.... Top work!

Interior plastics are cheap, seats are cheap, the rear bumper is about 6 inches too high off the ground and it looks jacked up...

Honestly i'm gutted. I had such high hopes seeing as the 197 and the 200 were so good.

ffs.

I agree with you (apart from me ordering one) but to be honest it is a base spec one, so I think the RS still has potential...as long as it's something vastly different in most areas!
I hope they make some RHD ones too...... ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Interior looks pretty nasty to me, and i can't believe they are still using parts from the 90's! I like the front though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with you (apart from me ordering one) but to be honest it is a base spec one, so I think the RS still has potential...as long as it's something vastly different in most areas!
I hope they make some RHD ones too...... ;)

How is it basic?? It's got alloys, climate, some sort of funky screen and key card...

That is not an entry level clio!! The entry level one will be an awfulthentique. No doubt with the same 60hp 1.2 8v engine they've been using since 1944.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
How is it basic?? It's got alloys, climate, some sort of funky screen and key card...

That is not an entry level clio!! The entry level one will be an awfulthentique. No doubt with the same 60hp 1.2 8v engine they've been using since 1944.

I meant basic loosely, its got a couple of options ticked but its still a daily runner for your gran. A 200 is a lot different to the DCi with a couple of options, that was more my point.
I don't want to like it as it looks massive and has 4 doors, but I guess you've got to give it a chance to please with the RS.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I meant basic loosely, its got a couple of options ticked but its still a daily runner for your gran. A 200 is a lot different to the DCi with a couple of options, that was more my point.
I don't want to like it as it looks massive and has 4 doors, but I guess you've got to give it a chance to please with the RS.

I want it purely for the fact I want a hot hatch with 5 doors.

But I refuse to sign up to £16k's worth of lease/pcp for a car that's been put together using leftover parts from the disused 1994 Laguna section of the factory.

Can someone photoshop the 3rd pic down, lower with mk3 speedlines and a black 200 diffuser and exhaust lol :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I want it purely for the fact I want a hot hatch with 5 doors.

But I refuse to sign up to £16k's worth of lease/pcp for a car that's been put together using leftover parts from the disused 1994 Laguna section of the factory.

You'll still buy one, I'll put a tenner on it ;)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I can't help but think that Renault are going down hill with this mk4.

I don't mind the looks too much but the interior just seems like loads of old tat thrown together to make one car. Nothing worse than when an interior tries to look modern with a load of old tacky plastics.

Who knows I'm still excited to see the first RS in flesh.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
even if the RS has a bit under the steering collum that sucks you off i wont be going near one after my last experiance with a new renault. not even interested in driving it, never mind driving a million miles to try and find a dealer worth hading over my cash to