ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My day with Clio 4

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
All that shiny black plastic on the centre console and streering wheel looks like it's going to scratch really easily and show lots of swirls :(

Renault Clio MK4 RS
That is the tackiest interior iv'e seen in a long time!

Looks so cheap and crap. It really doesn't pull the gloss black look off at all :(

I quite like the outside though & I think it will grow on a lot of people!.

It will appeal to old people and first time drivers and maybe some "funky" women. Not really a proper car though to me and i just couldn't own one. RS possibly but we will have to wait and see ;)

Agree with you on the interior! the colour on it is horrible. if they had done the dash in red and kept it just black it would change the interior for me i think, dont mind the seats and door cards as much but that red dash would do my head in. The exterior i think looks good at the back and side. But the front looks horrendous, all because of that big badge! it ruins the front end :(

Clio 200
Exterior – Oh so many doors! Highly questionable styling details (large banana shape on sides – why?) RS doesn't look different enough to base models.
Interior – Chavtastic!

Clio 200
I clocked that right away too!! Nothing wrong with it I suppose but still amusing how old parts like that are still in use 12 years down the line on an ultra modern car.

Also amusing they use the old matt finish switchgear within a high-gloss surround. It just shouts cost-cutting compromise!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It's quite an interesting contrast reading your thoughts in here. I knew not everyone would like it, that's a given. But some of your comments are quite surprising actually. Despite this, I hope (and know tbh) it will do really well, and with the other new models coming in 2013, the only way is up really!

Titanium 182
Every time a "new" model of car has come out in the past 3/4 years I've liked it less and less. They're all starting to look so similar and so boring. This is easily the worst.

I was trying to work out what it resembled and it came to me this morning, it looks like a Kia Proceed from the side on angles.

SG boost'd 200
Is this not the car that Renault were showing the public at showrooms as it looks identical to the one i had a nosey at.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not keen on the interior to be honest.

I'll make my mind up once I've seen an RS version in the flesh. For the moment I'm not keen at all.

Looks like Renault are gunning for a different market.

SG boost'd 200
After sitting in the car at the VIP event, I felt as if the screen was too low to where you are sitting, very odd!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
8B9C0B14-8256-475A-A4B3-E9315D109052-862-000000D9028935A2.gif

Looks better in white.
D0AF13542AAB165420B689F0DAEEBA.jpg

Oh, wait, that's a Seat Leon. Oops.

Easy mistake to make?

Looks suspiciously like Flame red to me? Have the brought it back?

I don't think it look that bad from the outside, coloured dash looks terrible though, I'm sure you could spec one that looks not too bad.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's quite an interesting contrast reading your thoughts in here. I knew not everyone would like it, that's a given. But some of your comments are quite surprising actually. Despite this, I hope (and know tbh) it will do really well, and with the other new models coming in 2013, the only way is up really!

That's just because Renault are at the lowest they've been for decades. ;)

Luke, I appreciate you work for Renault so have to wear your Renault hat when talking about their products, but this week I went to look at a 60 plate clio 1.2 imusic for a customer of mine. It was a private sale, covered 4,000 miles and had just been serviced by renault in preperation for the sale. I drove the car for less than a mile and it felt old, proper old. The gearbox (I detest that cable shift 5 speed!!) was awful, the car had no useable power, the seats offer zero in the way of support and the drivers seat edge was bobbling... after 4,000 miles!

I appreciate Renault sport are a different breed, hence why i've owned so many, I love them! but IMO, renault have a long way to go to be able to compare to the likes of the fiesta and Corsa.

The Dynamique 1.2 16v mk2 ph2 was the last decent 'shopping car' they made. Everything since then has been cack. Then after a few years, they fit loads of pointless crap onto it (This i music had bluetooth, the target audience are pensioners ffs!) and call it a special edition...

There's a reason Renault aren't doing well!!

I would agree to an extent what Daniel has said. I owned a mk3 Dynamique TCE. While the enginwas decent, the suspension crashed around and the driving position was useless. I sold it after a year and now have a Megane Coupe dCi Dynamique which is an excellent car to drive IMO.

My Y reg 172 has a better driving position that my old Mk3 did, with far more supportive seats.

I hope the Mk4 Clio does well, it looks good and is a huge improvement. I think spec'd properly it could be a really good car, will be great to see how it drives, but I'll stick with my Megane for now as my daily.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yup i'd go with that. Why anyone would want a MK3 phase 2 Clio over a Fiesta or Corsa is beyond me!

Yup i'd go with that. Why anyone would want a MK3 phase 2 Clio over a Fiesta or Corsa is beyond me!

To be fair the level of standard equipment is tempting. If you compare the Mk3 Dynamique Tom Tom with the Fiesta Zetec, the Clio has far more kit - sat nav, auto lights etc. The Fiesta is better to drive though and look at (my Mum has one) but I find the equipment levels almost rubbish in comparison.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
To be fair the level of standard equipment is tempting. If you compare the Mk3 Dynamique Tom Tom with the Fiesta Zetec, the Clio has far more kit - sat nav, auto lights etc. The Fiesta is better to drive though and look at (my Mum has one) but I find the equipment levels almost rubbish in comparison.

I like my cars to drive well, after all, that's what they're for! lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Being honest, I hate that. It looks terrible (imo). Something about the outside screams "I'm a KIA" until you realise it's got a meter sq renault badge on the front. The Clio has always been desirable to younger people and that just looks like something my nan would have wanted.

Then you get to the inside, the colour scheme in that one (I realise it can be changed) looks fresh out of a KIA or any people carrier trying to be equally "cooki" for a school mum trying to hold onto her youth.

Then there's the re-used parts. Quite frankly depressing, it's not just enthusiasts who'll see this, it's anyone that's had a Renault in the last 20 years, they'll go to move the mirrors and think "f**k me, I recognise that, no, surely, it can't be?". The gearstick makes me sad, the start/stop makes me sad... the RS looks better, but we'll see.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wow. Fugly.

Doesn't really work inside or out for me. Looks utterly generic styling wise, apart from the first 6 inches which with a droopy nose and a bloody great badge on the front look awful. Looks like a cartoon rat :S

Stalks from the 90s aren't going to win anyone over either. I know how much it costs to change things like that so I can understand why they've done it, but Renault aren't going to be lopping 20% off the last model's RRP are they ? I'd eat my hat if they are.

Is it going to be lighter / faster / more economical / cheaper ? What's the selling point over the last model !?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Good write up.

I like the front, not sure on the back. Interior does look better but the red is awful!

Overall I really want to like it but struggling, somehow I think the RS is going to get some great reviews and will be a great car to drive.

Don't think we will ever see new window/mirror switches lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

mk3 ph2 was nice to drive and a nice place to be if it was a GT Spec dci 106 but cost a bomb, mine drove night and day better than my 200 did! but as daniel says, the pish 5 speed box thats horrible to use and 4000rpm or what ever it does at 70mph, lack of support in the seats, soft rolley poley suspension even in dynamique S TCE spec!

Clio 200
The gearstick makes me sad, the start/stop makes me sad... the RS looks better, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath.

SG boost'd 200
I do believe the sales guy at the VIP night said that the diesels will do 86mpg if I remember rightly....I do have the brochure somewhere, I'll dig it out and take a look at prices too!

I saw one in Renault Antwerp a few months ago and was really impressed with the looks. Dark red too - looked brilliant!

I think it look ok. Too tall though.

Not sure why people are raving over the Corsa though. I hired one last summer, brand new with just 5 miles on the clock. 1.4 16v. It was the most guttless car i have ever driven. It did not cope with the hills of north Devon at all.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Had a nose round a clio 4 the other day, the interior finish wasn't as good as I would have expected.

The gloss finish plastics were already very marked and the wing mirror controls just look plain out of place.

It also looks far to much like other manufacturers models on the market, it seems gone are the days of the 'French design flair' in favour of 'safe repetition'.

Still interested in seeing what the RS is going to be like buy I really can't see the clio 4 being Renaults saving grace, they have a lot to claw back with their sales being 40% down last year.

i had a look around the clio i was quite surprised it felt very well thought out seemed nicely put together :D

although the madness is still present
im not convinced the cup holders are big enough for actual cup
the r link is smart although having the usb socket on the right hand side is fine for LHD i can see this being problem on RHD

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Looks ok, front is still a bit meh but the rest is ok for a non Renaultsport. It's a shame the RS won't be getting any flared arches ala 1*2 as they'd help the odd front end out!
Interior seems nice and colourful!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
4F1F9973-1FBB-41BF-8C3C-C5A277DBA1BB-862-000000D8E3E890E6.gif

That dashboard looks like it was formed in one of those plastic moulding machines we used to use in GCSE DT, in 1997.

Truly horrific interior imho, just looks soooo cheap & nasty. I do expect the RS version to be quite good though, lets be honest, the boggo clio mk3's are sh1te, its only the 197/200's that anyone would actually apsire to owning.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Its the fact its Gloss... Aint nobody want gloss plastics in their interior.