ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My DCi 80 DieselSport....

DCi 80 DieselSport
Here we go again.....:cool:

Last weekend I drove the 300 mile round trip to St Ives to sway my MUCH loved 172 Cup for Tom (Wests Renault) and Zoe's equally loved DCi 80. As you may or may not know, over the course of 2 years Tom has built this car up to be a flawless Sport rep. Everything about this car is RenaultSport APART from the engine.As soon as I saw it I loved it. It was a lovely place to be inside and I was very impressed with the drive considering the come-down in power. I was worried the ride would be crashy with the VMAXX coilovers but I wouldn't say it was that much different to the Cup suspension day-to-day so that was another nice surprise. I was also worried about the practicalities of it being low....BUT the stance is PERFECT and it doesn't catch/bottom out/rub/NOTHING.

Both Tom and I then went out in the Cup and it's safe to say he was impressed too ;)

We did the deal and I drove it the 150 miles back to Harrogate with a big smile on my face. There's nothing like that first 'big drive' in a new car.....oh and the 80mpg I got :D

To see the full history of the car up to this point check out Tom's old thread here....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?511044-Wests-Widetracked-Flame-Red-DCI-80-Sport-Rep&highlight=flame+red+rep

And here's my old (Toms new) 172 Cup....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?542028-My-172-Cup&highlight=adamsmith

The ONLY bad points about the car (and they are VERY minor) concern the bodywork. I've always been hot on my bodywork having owned a couple of show-and-shine winning cars back in the Saxo days so I was keen to get it all sorted asap.On Tuesday I had a company called "Ace Dentura" come out and within 45 minutes they'd removed EVERY tiny dent in the doors and rear quarters (there were 6 in total). FYI they're a great service and do an immaculate job.

The only thing left is for me to spray the Diamonds Gloss Black to match the grill and wheels (they're currently wrapped in Carbon and look a bit faded) and get both bumpers resprayed (both have some cracking....again it's all very minor!).

I gave it its first proper clean today. I'll be detailing next weekend with a friend of mine but here's some finished shots after today's efforts....

S5003771.jpg

S5003773.jpg

S5003774.jpg

S5003776.jpg

S5003781.jpg

S5003782.jpg

S5003783.jpg

S5003784.jpg

After these pics were taken I removed the "DCi INSIDE" sticker on the rear screen and replaced the gash (sorry Tom) Wests Renault Tax Disc holder with a trusty Magnatax.

Short term plans are....

- New Foglight Bulb
- Detail
- Black Diamonds/De-carbon outside bits

Long term plans are....

- Respray Bumpers/Seat Splitter
..................................................THATS IT!

The idea was to get this, run it for pennies, and enjoy it :)

Cheers.

Adam:lolup:

RS6 C7
A good interior upgrade would be the steering wheel, Either go for a 172 steering wheel or personally i would pay a bit more and get a 197 / 200 wheel.

This car is so epic!

DCi 80 DieselSport
A good interior upgrade would be the steering wheel, Either go for a 172 steering wheel or personally i would pay a bit more and get a 197 / 200 wheel.

This car is so epic!

If it ain't broke.....;)

Might be worth mentioning the plate WILL be going back to Zoe. It's so girly I think I'm starting to grow a vagina....

Octavia VRS LE
glad to see the car stayed in the club, its probably one of the best reps ever done. good purchase/swap....

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Lovely car. Sounds like your going to treat it right.
Needs a sport steering wheel though, to finish it off. ;)

DCi 80 DieselSport
Another shameless pic of it in sunlight yesterday when I popped to halfrauds for a tax disc holder....

s5003785.jpg

:)

DCi 80 DieselSport
Update....

This weekend I took the car to a friend of mine who's always done detailing on the side. He's worked on all my previous cars; and is a bit of a genius!

I won't bore you with specific products/processes we used BUT one thing I will say is IRON-X is INCREDIBLE. The stuff it removes is amazing, and it removes the need to clay your paint which in itself causes swirling/micro-marring. Can't recommend it enough....although it's not the nicest smelling stuff! Certainly not Bilberry....

'Nuff chat, here's the pics....

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

The bay came up really nice. The engine cover is some sort of stiff foam/plastic material. I wanted to spray it before I discovered this. Even though it's in good condition I'll be on the hunt for a brand spanking immaculate un-faded one at some point....

IMG_3921.jpg

And the rest....

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

And finished....

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

And here's all the imperfections that are getting sorted next weekend when it goes into the bodyshop on Friday morning....

Drivers side skirt needs re-seating....

IMG_3957.jpg

I'm binning the repaired Cup splitter and replacing it with a new Ibiza equivalent....

IMG_3958.jpg

Full front bumper respray (mainly because of this)....

IMG_3961.jpg

And this....

IMG_3962.jpg

Rear bumper is also getting new paint.

And finally....

IMG_3963.jpg

So, the bodyshop list so far is....

- Front Bumper respray/new splitter fitting
- Rear Bumper respray
- Sort the Drivers side skirt
- MAYBE get the Diamonds/Clio badge finished in Gloss Black.

With regards to the Gloss Black Diamonds/Clio badge; I'm wanting to de-carbon the exterior bits BUT not sure if I should take the whole red/black thing all the way by spraying all the accent bits Gloss Black, or just leave them standard silver.

Thoughts?

Thanks for looking :clap:

DCi 80 DieselSport
Just had a nice delivery from i4detailing too....

S5003846.jpg

Just a top up to my weekly cleaning stuff to keep it at a high standard between details (2-3 a year).

Also the new plates ready to go on once XX02ZOX has been transferred back to Tom....

S5003831.jpg

:cheers:

DCi 80 DieselSport
Less than 24Hrs after ordering it....the Fabia Splitter has arrived :)

S5003853.jpg

All ready for the Bodyshop now. I'll order some front bumper insert stickers from N2GRAFIX once the car is out.

Then.....that's it! Time to just enjoy it and keep it clean/maintained.

Until I think of something else....:p

:race:

DCi 80 DieselSport
Update....

The car went into the Bodyshop early yesterday (Friday) morning for the following work....

- Front Bumper respray
- Rear Bumper respray
- Fitting of Fabia Splitter
- De-carbon wrapping the exterior bits
- Re-seating of O/S sideskirt

In 24 hrs the shop turned it around and I can't stress just how good the overall finish/workmanship is of the guy who did it (BTW if anyone wants any work doing in the Yorkshire area PM me for his number).

I got sent some in-process pics....

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

And after I picked it up; same final (washed!) pics....

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

And some close-ups of what were the problem areas (looks back in this thread for the before shots)....

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

I was also on the verge of doing the front/rear Diamonds satin black; however I really like the chrome finish and I think I'll leave them be. Also thinking of de-badging it for the 'cleaner' look.

Also, at last minute (and after a lot of um-ing and arr-ing) I've left the Engine cover there for some special treatment :)

I also stuck this in today too (I did it in the Cup and think it's a nice touch)....

IMG_1135.jpg

So....

Exterior wise; with the possibility of ditching the 'Clio' badge it's all done.

Jobs left are....

- Transfer Reg
- Paint Calipers Black
- Headlight correction
- De-badge???
- One-off engine cover

And then that's it.

Cheers :drunk:

Discounted 1*2 parts
There are holes in the tailgate for the Clio badge ;)

Looks great though glad you've given the paintwork what it deserved :)

Z4
I haven't read the full thread, but why did you swap a cup for a dci?!
I wouldn't of thought you'd save any money as cups are pretty frugal and you've spunked cash on this getting jobs done!

Certainly looks the part, looks genuinely awesome! Best 172 colour, shame its not got the engine

DCi 80 DieselSport
I haven't read the full thread, but why did you swap a cup for a dci?!
I wouldn't of thought you'd save any money as cups are pretty frugal and you've spunked cash on this getting jobs done!

Certainly looks the part, looks genuinely awesome! Best 172 colour, shame its not got the engine

Ill admit I've spent more initially on this, but now it's up to my standards I can enjoy it and in the long term it will cost much less to run. I've already seen a big saving in fuel costs compared to the Cup; and it's certainly not slow. I won't bore you with the other areas in which it works out cheaper but I don't regret the swap at all. Love the DCi!

where abouts in yorkshire is the gent that did the paintwork and how much does he charge roughly? as i live in yorkshire and need a bit of body work doing and a full spray but i aint loaded :/

DCi 80 DieselSport
Update....

The car is now back on its original reg which meant I could fit some fresh plates complete with 3/4 front plate :)

I also fitted some bumper insert stickers thanks to Ady @ N2GRAFIX

Over the coming weeks I've still got the following to do....

- Paint Calipers Black
- Headlight correction
- Pick up custom engine cover
- Fit new foglight bulb

Also, I've just got back from a 500 mile round trip down south for Easter and averaged 75MPG. Makes it all worth while!

Pics from when I cleaned it just before we left....

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

Another thing is I (and some others) have noticed it the rear coilovers are at slightly different heights. The O/S is sat ever-so-slightly lower than the N/S. I'll be getting that sorted ASAP.

Cheers.

:sleepy:

DCi 80 DieselSport
Update....

I think I've come up with the final design for the engine cover. It's been at the Bodyshop since the bumpers were done; and it was a last minute decision to get it done.

Pictures say 1000 words....

dci80.jpg

That's what I've come up with; however the slits at the top will stay Black (not Red).

I do think it's Marmite; however I think it'll work when it's done.

I'll be honest....it's a risk.

:slap:

DCi 80 DieselSport
Cleaned the car today and played with some apps on my 4S....

46619810150940653712059.jpg

46168210150940655117059.jpg

41177110150940660112059.jpg

Still waiting for the engine cover to be finished.

:cool:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That's really nice.

I loved my dCi. Youtube told me I could migrate my Google videos to it and I found a load of old Nürburgring videos from the first time I went. It really is a sensible car and as you say definitely don't notice 100hp missing day to day.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
that engine cover is going to have the lads at the body shop swearing. i tried doing mine similar with tvr purple and it went tits up. desided to piant it all purple in the end and lacquared the hell out of it.