ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My detailing dilemma.... removing swirl marks....

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
Hope someone can help. I've been meaning to sort the swirl marks on my R32 for ages now, and I'm going to actually do it now.

Here's what I've got to try and sort the problem out:
  • PC polisher with green, blue and orange pads
  • Meguiars 83
  • Meguiars 80
  • Meguiars 16 wax
I've had these ages, and am not sure if the Meguiars is going to be harsh enough to tackle the swirl marks. Do I need a different grade polish? If so, what one do I need to buy?

Also, can someone remind me the order I use them in? Isn't it highest number first? (I'll have to dig out the guide to detailing I got with them :) )

Also, how long do I need to do the 2 polishes and the layer of wax? Is a weekend enough?

Any help appreciated.

Better than yours. C*nt.
On the R32's paint, you'll need to put in some work with what I assume is the 6" pads and Megs 83. Start with the 83 on the Orange pads and follow with 80 on the Green, and then the Wax you can apply by hand or using the Blue pad.

106 GTi
I look after an R32 for a neighbour and the paint is fairly hard. I Don't use 83 myself but on the light cut pad it should correct the defects. I have managed to with Poorboys SSR 2.5 and Menzerna Intensive Polish which are of an equivilent cut.

No need to wait, the two polishes and then wax can all be done straight after each other. Megs 16 is best applied by machine with a 4 inch Finishing pad to get a nice thin coat.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
Cheers for your advice everyone.

Roughly how long does it take to apply and remove 1 layer of polish/wax? for a newby to a PC polisher.

106 GTi
The polishing stages applying both the 83/80 and can take anything from a couple of hours to a whole day depending on the defects.

A coat of wax will take 20 odd mins to apply.