ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Dilemma...

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
After a little advice if possible please people.
I have a crappy little run around that has just gone wrong, and my plans were ultimatly to save for a V6 in the future. Me and the Mrs are getting married in July so we have been piling money in to that. SO..... thats now a no go...

Now the run around has died i need to get another car, and have a budget of around 4K. I really fancy a 172 Cup and have previously owned one.

Im thinking of going to have a look at a few and just need a few pointers as to what goes wrong, what to look out for etc. Im aware the cambelt aux and dephasers etc need to have been changed by now.

Also running wise i remember my old cup getting 38+ mpg or am i imagining that?? Plus just got a quote for insurance at around £300 so it looks pretty good at the moment....

Im right in thinking i could get a very good mint example for that money am i not??

Cheers:approve:

4k is enough to get you a decent example yes, as for what goes wrong, I find that this is usually dependant on the car and how its been taken care of, its possible, but with the budget you have I doubt you'd find one with a long repair list.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Youle be lucky to see 38mpg+ mate.

Mine ( 182 ) does about 23-26 around town and 36+ on the Mway...

Lead foot much :rasp:

I get 32 around town and yesterday on the motorway I got 39.

OP: I think your plan is very feasible

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
right i have found a lovely looking, genuine car, thats only got 30k on it and has had belts changed etc for a good price, only problem is its in the scottish highlands and im near milton keynes. Wondering if its worth the journey?? for the RIGHT car im sure it would be.... hhhhmmmmm

Oh and it would be a great drive back too lol

415 miles.....hmmmm

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
To be honest mate if it were the difference between getting a nice car and the car you really want, whats the difference between say a 4 hour drive and an 8 hour drive? Personally id go to lands end (from Glasgow) for the right car, they are pound for pound the best hot-hatches around in terms of mpg and performance.

To add, ive driven the road up there a few times and im pretty sure why i know why the guy bought the said Cup ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
See if a member from up there will take a gander at it for you before making the journey.

Or, get the owner to walk around the car while on the phone so you can ask him all about it, get loads of good pictures and if it sounds ok agree a price (based on it being as described) before the journey. Since if the seller knows how far you have come they wont be moving much on price once you get there, i know i wouldn't.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The 172's are better on fuel than the 182. My old standard 172 used to do 35-38mpg when I checked manually at each fill. I would be getting about 350 miles to a 6/8 of a tank (I know some people run it down to the light, I never do). I think if you drive like me on good roads with few start stops an indicated 38 is very likley. Mine used to sit about 37 ish on the guage and with the cup being lighter it may stretch it out ever so slightly.

I don't know why people worry so much about mpg, doesn't make a huge difference spread over 12,000 miles.

12,000 miles @ 38mpg x 119p = £1708.37
12,000 miles @ 35mpg x 119p = £1854.81
12,000 miles @ 30mpg x 119p = £2163.94

182+1.5DCI+S2000
I don't know why people worry so much about mpg, doesn't make a huge difference spread over 12,000 miles.

12,000 miles @ 38mpg x 119p = £1708.37
12,000 miles @ 35mpg x 119p = £1854.81
12,000 miles @ 30mpg x 119p = £2163.94

:( DCI FTW :rasp:

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
well been looking at flights, could get up there for about 90 quid which would probably be better than driving. Only problem is its bank holiday monday and i cant get the bloody cash out the bank... ggrrrr

Mini Cooper S sport
^^ doesn't look too bad fella, worth a look!

Or how about a Ferrari 458 Italia? ;)

Last edited: