ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first attempt at Motorsport photography( Pic heavy)

Clio 172 Ph2
Hi all,

Was at Brands last weekend for Britcar into the night. As my friend has many cameras he allowed me to have a go with his Cannon 40D c/w 300mm lense.

This is only the second time i have used an SLR. The camera functions were set up for me starting at ISO 400 and working up to 800 as it got darker.

I was taught to pan and had free rein on my shutter speed. I started with a safe 1/800 and worked down to 1/10! :eek:

The images are cropped only and were taken in JPEG not RAW.

Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Be gently with me as i am an absolute beginner!

This is my favorite! 1/40 shutter speed.
SWP_000048039.jpg

I tried 1/10 and quite like the effect.
SWP_000046536.jpg

Some varied
SWP_000046765.jpg

SWP_000046752.jpg

SWP_000046551.jpg

SWP_000048080.jpg

SWP_000048165.jpg

SWP_000047707.jpg

SWP_000048052.jpg

A still i tried at lunch.I love this shot, reminds me of GT5 :D
SWP_000046991.jpg

Thanks for looking.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Wish i knew how to do propper photography i just point and shoot

The pic with bmw , ferrari and seat reminds me of the bmw topgear had

Clio 172 Ph2
What set up should i use for focus?...i had it on spot focus i think. I agree that quite a few were out of focus.

Oil Burner
Great first effort. Most of the pans are spot on. Although the 1/10th one doesn't do much for me.

The portrait shot of the 3 cars is as mentioned out of focus. On a Canon you want to be using AI Servo with a single AF point (centre will give greater accuracy). At Night AF becomes very difficult for the cameras, particularly head on where the lights blind the AF. This is one of the reasons you rarely see head on shots at night. Usually pans or rear facing shots.

Practice makes perfect, and this set is certainly a good way to start!