ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first clio sport - clio r27/ Review and pictures

Hello all,

Picked my R27 up yesterday - almost 300 miles done now.

This car is truely amazing. It blows my cooper s away in nearly every department. I strongly recommend anyone buys one of these or the cup 197 when it comes out.

Heres a few reasons why.

1- Brakes..... They are simply astonishing - I have never felt anything brake like this car does. Before I came back home I exited the motorway at my normal exit -- Its a downhill breaking zone to traffic lights. I was going fairly quick and I started braking from my normal spot leaving a fair bit of room to the junction. The car just stopped. It was instant - I didnt even brake hard- I had to change up a gear to get to the junction I stopped so early.

2-Seats....... They are utter class - The steering wheel has some serious adjustment on it and the driving position is superb.

3-Suspension -- Its not bad over bumps but round corners it is so flat its untrue..... I went round a couple of corners that I know well at fairly decent speed and the car just laughed at me -- I dread to think how fast you could go round some corners on a track.

I can see evos point of view when they say it will get annoying if you do lots of motorway driving. Above 80mph there is a serious amount of noise going on. Dont get me wrong- its a nice noise - but everyday on a motorway commute would be heavy going. It is also not great in heavy traffic. All the gears feel stuttery at low revs. With the atc,esp on 1st gear can be jumpy - turning all the driving aids off seems to sort all these problems out though. It could also do with going on a weight loss programme but at the end of the day it is not a track car and the air con and other mod cons are worth a bit more weight imo.

There is a clear reason why they have the gears like this......when you put your foot down, especially round twisty bits with straights inbetween - you are flying through the gears and the car is permanantly in the power band... as you fly through the gears the revs drop to 5k then hammer up to seven and its time to change. It just seems to keep on gathering pace and each gear change seems to propel you into next one. It is so easy to keep it in the power band. On a twisty a or b road I seriously dont think there would be many cars for up to £40k that could stay with this. The engine/exhaust noise is also bang on - its not intrusive but it sounds class when you accelerate and makes a hell of a noise when the revs are getting up -- people are turning to look whats coming from a long way in front of me so it must be pretty loud outside the car.

I thought it was going to be good but I didnt think i would be this amazed by it.

For 15k its got to be one of the biggest performance bargains around if your looking for a new car ... 2l engine, big brembo brake kit, recaro buckets, air con, tints, alarm, keyless entry, cruise control, speed limiter, renaultsport suspension, cd, push start -- the spec is amazing for the money.

Over the last couple of years I have test driven most of the hot hatch/ sports cars on the market for under £30k - this is definately the best one to drive out of all of them -- The dash is uninspiring, the back end is slightly ugly and the gearing will annoy some people but if you have to get from point a to point b as fast and as safely as possible this car would take some beating- especially on 'a' roads - their are obviously many cars that would destroy it on a motorway.

I also decided that I have bought the best colour and that I absolutely love the f1 graphics - especially the roof one - It looks so good in the flesh especially at night.

Very well done Mr renault - if it doesnt break down constantly or fall apart - I really think this is potentially the best car I will own in my life.
thumbs.gif
thumbs.gif
thumbs.gif

Heres a few pics - you will have to excuse the quality- they are off the camera phone and I didnt get chance to wash it before I took them.

DSC00075.gif

DSC00072.gif

DSC00071-1.gif

DSC00063.gif

DSC00065.gif

DSC00068.gif

DSC00066.gif

DSC00059.gif

DSC00056.gif

DSC00054.gif

DSC00053.gif

DSC00052.gif

DSC00051.gif

DSC00069.gif

DSC00057.gif

DSC00058.gif

DSC00062.gif

Clio
nearly 300 miles and its only a 57 plate!! Rich's 05 182 has probs only done about 300 miles haha! Anyway very tidy motor, enjoy it :D!!

A red missile
Looks tasty, good to see an un-biased 'everythings perfect' review as well, as for the handling, owning a Trophy as I do i'd expect it to handle brilliantly being a newer model, sounds like they got it right :) As you say I've chucked mine into bends that I know well at speeds that I felt on the limit at before and its just brushed them off like they're nothing - good to see thats still the case with the R27.

Glad your liking it mate, enjoy ;)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Gd read, luv those seats, only thing i would say is that i saw a 197 at donny park a couple weeks ago & on the ren sport stand they had a very tasty looking spoiler for the 197, think they said was around £200 notes, but! it did finnish the rear end off very nicley & being a ren original part ( so i belive ) it didn't hav that cheap chavy look

Clio 197
Gutted they didnt reduce the price of them before i got my 197 now, might see if they will do a deal if they have lying around.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mint, but i'd have a red one thanks. I'm debating if i should save up for one of these, was gonna wait for a cup, but i'd spec it the same as the R27 anyway.

M

mini-valver

Exactly what I did and did'nt want to hear. I want one so bad but can't afford it. Really wanted someone to hate it, lol :(

Snotter's
Good review,my brother went from a ctr to a 197 and the handling and braking was amazing plus stupid amounts of grip for a fwd. The big let down is the engine and gear ratios, its to noisy on the motorway and the engine just doesnt feel punchy enough and boring in its delivery hence why it went after 2 months.Awesome looking car though

Put another couple of hundred miles on today -- I have done more miles in the last two days than I did in total last month:eek:

Its still great - Had someone come up to me at three different places today and start talking about the car.

Couple of questions for people though.......

1- Is there an ashtray avaliable from renault for the 197? Where does it go in the car if there is-- im guessing there must be one to fit in either the rear or front drink holders.

2-Anyone recommend somewhere to get some custom car mats from - dont mind spending about £30-60. Would like some f1 graphics or stitching on them.

is there a rear spoiler option for one of these.

Yeah- Im considering it..... I will try and find the photos of one. I have pretty much decided that I dont like the spoiler much- really like the line of the roof without it. The front splitter is very tempting though - I really like that.

Here we go...

spoiler009.gif

spoiler002.gif

Im also considering this as well
197splitter.jpg

197splitter1.jpg

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Looks lush, but when EVO did a group test didn't the 197 get left behind (for pace) by the Cooper S, Corsa VXR, and even the old Ibiza Cupra?

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Agreed the top gear is daft, BUT I WISH I'd had one of these late last night when I made a ten mile bumpy & narrow cross country dash to pick someone up

I still covered the B road 10 miles in 10 mins dead, but 70 in 3rd don't sound the same in a D :-(

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Great read, i wish more people would go into detail like this. Reviews like this are much more interesting than reading in a magazine.

I know what your saying about the breaks, I have read some jornalists describing it on super car levels of stopping power! wow.

Great car, great review, thanks for this. I want one now! :p