ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first go at some night shots..

Well my parents offered to buy me a tripod for Christmas....since I wanted to choose it, rather than leave it to my parents to select, I ended up ordering it, paying for it, and picking it up! With all this in mind I thought it would be rude not to try it out before asking my parents to buy it for me :)

Anyway, I plumped for a Manfrotto 728b (with integrated head) which seems like a nice sturdy starter tripod. Popped out tonight into Bristol for a few photos. I've posted some of the better ones below.

Aside from correcting the white balance and mapping out a couple of dreaded hot pixels, the post processing is minimal. All comments appreciated.

3122902779_0137c17ddc_o.jpg

3122902891_b7308659ab_o.jpg

3122902513_1a094611dc_o.jpg

3122902251_ea42fd3d2c_o.jpg

3122901945_10baeafa96_o.jpg

Cheers

Paul

106 GTI
Cheers all.

The hot pixels I was referring to were two bright red dots appearing in an identicial place (x: y: co-ords) on every photo - essentially stuck or hot pixels. I cloned them out in DPP.

What would cause this? a spec of dirt on the lens maybe?

What camera/setting did you use?

I was using a Canon EOS 40D with Sigma 10-20mm attached, shooting in Manual at f11, ISO 100 and varying the shutter speed as necessary. I think the shutter speed varied from anything around 7 seconds up to about 25 seconds.

What would cause this? a spec of dirt on the lens maybe?

No it's not dirt on the lens, it is in fact a pixel on the camera sensor not working properly. The majority of camera sensors are imperfect and will have one or two hot / stuck pixels, but they only tend to show themselves on long exposures and against dark backgrounds. One or two hot / stuck pixels isn't really a problem as you can clone them out, plus it's one or two of 10 million.

Good stuff, I've only ever experienced hot pixels with a Olympus DSLR that I had to shoot Venice with, the night pictures were covered in them, red, blue and yellow specs everywhere! I'm guessing that was a result of the tiny sensor they use.

Been lucky never to notice a single one with either of my D50s or my D90 so maybe Nikons in general stay a bit cooler.