ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

= My Hillpower 2.0 Convertion Completed =

Well boys and girls, today was the day i picked up my much missed 2.0ltr 16v from Hillpower!! After being without her for over a week and driving a 1.1 Micra hire car every where! You can imagine my eagerness to get behind the wheel of my valver!!

Got to the workshop this morning, saw my baby sitting out side (which nick had kindly washed for me) knocked on the workshop doors like a mad man waiting for the keys to the beast! After alittle chat i was able to hear the roar of my new 2ltr williams 3 + Stage 1 super chipd clio!!! Started her... and my face light up! :) Although not much different to my std 1.8 in sound, when revd a deeper sounding tune from the zorst told me i was in for a good ride!

finished my deeds with Nick Hill - shook his hand and took off! instantly i could tell the cars behaviour had changed completely - with the instant pick up & pull from little revs!! Nick had suggested i run it alittle before flooring her so i took his advice.

Got home - left her parked out side after a 140mile steady 70MPH trip back to Essex. However looking @ her from the window was to much temptation - i had to take her out to see what the convertion was all about,

First gear from a 5-6mph rolling start - foot to the floor the wheels just span! (maybe due to the damp outside) but the gain in torque was noticable from word go:eek:! Once traction was reached and hitting 6750RPM!! changed into 2nd - this is where the power really gets noticable!! felt like i was pinned in my seat for a few moments! after the sudden rush of blood to my head i eased off and took it easy round town getting used to it. Wasnt long before i was upagainst the new shape cooper s... not sure what happend to him after a few corners... Then a BMW 325i - blitzed !! Power from 70MPH - 100MPH is fecking amazing!!! It pulls and pulls like a freight train!!!

i havent had enough time with her to form a full verdict yet, so ill report back after a weeks driving! As for my first impressions, all i can say is "all clio 16vs" should have been made this way! For anyone thinking of going for a williams or 2.0ltr convertion...... DO IT! The difference is amazing! i dont know how much the stage 1 helps things out?! But all i know is that this thing shifts!!! A13 drvers - watch out! :devilish:

Over and out,

James.

clio 20v

hehe the rush u get wen a valver comes on cam at 4k is mint but the 2l is just mucho impressive u jus cant believe it

adi

You got it then mate!!:D Am well jealous!!:( Just wish i could afford to go down that route!!

How much did it cost ya in the end? If ya dont mind me asking!!

Have you told your insurance? If so did it make much difference??

Nice one chav - might give you a bell 2morrow - u might stand a chance against my monster now! I recon with the cold weather shes running at least 57bhp! That and the James Bond style smoke screen... u will still stuggle! ;)

Personnally I thought the Micra suited u - but if this new lump will stop ur whining then so be it! ;)

I expect a guided (high speed) tour monday if I dont see u sooner m8!

Cool - I look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Got my wheels back from the refurbishers today and so I took my Willy out - Im still learning how to handle it after coming from the old 16V. Id been driving my Volvo S40 2.0 for the past few weeks and was taken back by how the Willy feels after that. Just feathering the accelerator pushes you back intop the seat.

I agree about the wheel spinning thing: you can never really get the power down in 1st and 2nd is over in a flash. The quoted 0-62 on these things is really misleading as youre changing to 3rd when you hit about 57mph, so the times are never going to be representative.

Along my local village road today I mullerred a SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2.0. Ive never overtaken a car on the local roads as my old Valver could never quite manage it, but the mid-range punch the Willy gives is phenomenal and I managed to clear him (he was on full throttle) by the time the corner came up. This car deserves respect! Oh, and yes, I did make sure that he couldnt catch up in the corners! ;)

Nice one James....glad you are happy mate, you just wait til you get used to it......more fun for you on the way. Stage one will make a marked difference. To be honest I couldnt now imagine my Willy2 without the chip, Exhaust and decat. Enjoy my friend !!!!

Bill

Quote: Originally posted by ReNWiLL on 02 November 2003

Nice one James....glad you are happy mate, you just wait til you get used to it......more fun for you on the way. Stage one will make a marked difference. To be honest I couldnt now imagine my Willy2 without the chip, Exhaust and decat. Enjoy my friend !!!!

Bill

Has it made any difference to you fuel econany Bill?

C

chip16v

i can remember when i first gave mine a blast after having the conversion done and it was just like you described. i also had to drive a 1.1 for a week and the car felt so fast. but enjoy it while you can because like in any car you will soon get use to the speed and be wanting more

Well the convertion cost me £1350, this included the engine and fitting. So allnall not too bad. I had alot of other stuff done aswell tho, like news parts inc clutch, water pump, uprated dogbone, stage 1 chip, 2 wheel bearings, new heat sheild... loads of stuff. Worked out about £1850. I think its worth the rest of mind driving around knowing that most things that can go wrong - have been replaced. So for the rest of mind i think its worth it. We all know French cars are not cheap to work on.

I know N.D Hills work is not cheap - but the quality of his work is spot on! hes a blinding bloke too.

FUNNY NICKS PRICES SEEM TO VARY FROM CALLER TO CALLER! HE QUOTED ME NEARLY £3000 FOR A BASIC 2.0i CONVERSION + VAT!! SOUNDS TO ME LIKE HE CHARGES LESS TO SOME PEOPLE THAN OTHERS BUT FAIR PLAY ON THE CONVERSION , i AM WAITING FOR MY WILLY ENGINE AND BOX TO BE DELIVERED,I WENT ELSEWHERE AS HILLPOWER SEEMED TOO EXPENSIVE BUT IT ONLY ADDS UP TO THE SAME REALLY AS YOU HAVE PAID.I WOULD RATHER HAVE HAD NICK DO IT TOO!! WISH HE HAD QUOTED ME THE SAME AS YOU!! ANY IDEAS WHY HE QUOTED NEARLY £3000????

HOPE I AINT SEEMING TO BAD MOUTH HILLPOWER COS THAT AINT THE INTENTION!! I CAN ONLY COMPLIMENT NICK ON HIS WORK AND HIS SERVICE AS LOTS OF CLOSE BUDDIES ONLY USE HIM AS HE KNOWS HIS S#&T!!

well you will have to list exactley what u asked for...........????

and list exactley what nick was going to sell you.............????

was there a gearbox involved to start with??

was it a willy tansplant or a 2,0l conversion, built around your 1.8 head??

remember Ratty, my engine was not fully rebuilt. It was taken straight from a willy 3 -> into mine. The actual INTERNALS have not changed. Maybe this is why?

Im also using my own manifold and gearbox.

I know his work isnt cheap - but remeber he has overheads and a living to be made. You pay for what u get.

Revels Mum & Sister

Wish i had stuck a 2.0 lump when I had to replace my Engine in my valver

But cost prohibited. Wish I had tried to find the extra cash now. Oh well never mind!

it works out that a second hand one - no warranty was quoted at £1890 inc vat and £2600 plus vat for a rebuilt conversion using the 16v box in both cases these were the prices quoted with a chip and fitting. As i said Nick has got a very good reputation and it shows in all cars I have been in (of his work) drive excellently and have never heard a complaint. The only thing that shocks me is when you hear so many different prices fling around for the costs of his work.I am fairly ne into the modifying scene of clios so please excuse me if i seem to knock Hill power.Its not the case!!!

My car will be heading to Nick for the chip and an air induction kit shortly after the fitting has been sorted I just found a cheaper way of doing the conversion initially.

Does anyone know much about K-Tec exhausts? Are they much cop? they look very nice!!

wow, id love a williams...just nowhere to put it. theres one for £4500 at our local garage in excellent condition. How the hell do you guys get insured on monsters like them?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

yeah nicks a top fella, although i did have £2k in my bank with his name on it, and never got a phone call or email back every time i called or mailed :-(

a tuned 16v lump will be on par with a williams, but is a fair bit more expensive than a straight engine swap! if i could have found one when my cam belt snapped it would have been straight in, but i needed the car back on the road asap, so the tuning began lol

Adams - I used to have a tuned 16V and although it wasnt the 170bhp car Id been led to believe, it would make 128bhp on the rollers ATW and pull on standard 16Vs quite well. Ive now had my Williams for a month, so I think I can start to make some comparisions between the two cars.

First of all, I would not say that my old16V was faster in any situation. It felt it because of the revs, ace powerband and amazing noise - and I was even slightly disappointed with my standard Williams to start off. The 16V had head and cams treatment, as well as various other little bits like a full exhaust system, lowering and breathing/fuel pressure mods. Basically, it improved things from about 5000-7000rpm.

Meanwhile, the Willy makes 85% of its torque at 2500rpm and never has less than 100% of torque from 4500-6500rpm. It pulls like a train at any revs! The other issue is that practically all Willys that get put on the rollers at RRs make more than 150bhp: it seems that about 140bhp ATW is the norm.

In a straight line, my Willy will accelerate better than my 16V did - but it doesnt feel or sound like it because its standard through and through. The only way I can tell is by looking at the speedo and the passing trees! Show a corner though, and the difference is amazing. Ignoring the suspension differences, that extra torque advantage makes itself very obvious down B-roads and coming from roundabouts. On twisty roads the difference is amazing and you can see now how the Group A rally Clio (powered by the Willy engine) was 1.5 seconds per mile quicker than its 350bhp Maxi 5 Turbo predecessor!

The Valver was an amazing car and I think you could justify keeping both in your garage because they drive so differently. I hated and still hate the ignorance that surrounds the Valver - it was a Group A homologation car like the Willy, but it just wasnt a limited edition. It certainly deserves the classic status that the Willy probably already has.

Ben - get it chipped !!! This lump of mine revs just as high as my 16v did (well almost 6,750k! Im in love with my valver at the moment, i was having doubts before hand that the money wasnt going to justify the improvments - but since leaving Nick Hill workshop ive never looked back!

Its only been a few days, and it brings a smile to my face every time my big toe hits the gas ped! I cant wait to get it RRd as i know its packing some decent hp..

What kinda figures do u think im looking at for 2.0 willy with a stage one (filter, chip, zorst, decat) ?

A full report will follow when i get more used to drving her ;)

Not really, the cost would have worked out the same. £4k for my valver 2yrs ago + £1300 for the engine work. So £5300 and its mint! as anyone who has seen my valver will tell u.

In any case - its a "sin" to mod a williams! A williams should be left factory standard. A williams in a 16v makes it ok. No offence to williams owners but id sooner have a 2.0ltr in a metalic black valver then a williams to see the shock factor when i drive past them!! :D

and to add - for insurrance reaons too! There is no way of telling the 2 part visually, im sure if i bought a williams id be paying alot more then what i am with my mods declared.

Quote: Originally posted by VoRN-182 on 05 November 2003

Wouldnt it have been cheaper to sell your 16v and put the money towards a Williams?
I would never ever ever want to own a williams!!

I love my 16v and 16vs in general and i would far rather have a 2.0d 16v than a williams!!! :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

ever ever ever ever ever ever ever?? Have you a phobia or something? The Williams is more than just a 16v with a 2ltr engine.

Quote: Originally posted by G16NNN on 05 November 2003
Quote: Originally posted by VoRN-182 on 05 November 2003Wouldnt it have been cheaper to sell your 16v and put the money towards a Williams?[/QUOTE]I would never ever ever want to own a williams!! I love my 16v and 16vs in general and i would far rather have a 2.0d 16v than a williams!!! :)

I loved my Valver and its still giving me very fond memories. But the fact is that I couldnt afford to buy or insure a Willy back when I bought my old 16V. Had I been given the choice Id probably have taken the Willy and I think there are still loads of people who would buy a Willy if it werent for the price premium. The 16V is a fantastic car in its own right though, so I always felt a bit smug that I had 90% of a Willy for much less cash.

Fortunately, I now have the use of another car and can afford to own something thats special to me and wont be racking up all my annual mileage. Id be kidding myself if I said anything else than a Williams has always been my dream car. Like Rockport says, its best to keep them factory standard and thats the way mine is. I even got a new rear wiper blade today from Renault because the existing one is not a Renault one!!

I almost did the 2.0 conversion myself and would have it now if I hadnt have been messed around by the breakers. Id say its not worth selling a Valver you love to get a Willy of the same condition, but I had the cash left from the doomed 2.0 project and suddenly another car to use. I wanted to get a classic to pamper and thats what I did! :D

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by ben_ren19.16v on 05 November 2003

Rockport - Engine numbers are fairly visible to insurance companies matey...
the engine number and engine code is on a plate riveted to the block easily swapped over i kno the plate on mine had been swapped cos it says f7p on it

adi