ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My homemade Oil Catch Tank - pics inside

Focus RS Mk1
Hi all, since my ITB's were put on the breather hose at the rear of the cam cover has been venting into atmosphere and everynow n then a tiny drop of oil will drip out into the engine bay.

So i decided that i should make my own oil catch tank, Ihad thse before in Mocal form and ive seen some on ebay for sale but i thought id save myself some cash n make one from scratch using material from work:

This is the end result, complete with filteration on the top, fill tube on the side, drain plug on the bottom and inlet boss from the breather hose. I made it but i got a guy at work to weld, i can mig weld and basic tig but not to this level.

Its not 100% perfect because i had to work with metal offcuts here at work, using brand new stuff is a bit cheeky!

anyway, only two pics but you get the idea!

P4300025.jpg

Sorry this one is wonky, photobucket is throwing a wobbly!
P4300026.jpg

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Heres mine that i whipped up the other day!

The old man hasnt noticed i chopped his hose pipe up yet though..

IMG_0869.gif

Focus RS Mk1
where did you get those socks from, i need a new set and those look better then the P/X ones

Focus RS Mk1
What do you work as? Looks a tidy job!

i work as a prototype engine builder for jag, but have just moved departments and now i run a test cell running the engines that i used to build. trying to get a full set of skills. been here 7years now. Fabrication is a skill we use all the time so knocking this up was fairly simple...im lucky i have all the material and equipment that allows this kinda thing.

Does having an oil catch tank have any negative points to it? Was speaking to a friend a while ago who used to be a mechanic (old skool one though) and he said having one like that without the pressure of the air going through the airbox/inlet would break seals on the engine? Plus he also said having a little bit of oil as its just really a mist helps the pistons for when they come back up? Im not very clued up about it tbh so if anyone could shed a bit of light that would be nice.

On a side note, looks very nice and neat!

Nick

Focus RS Mk1
i agree, cant run the breather to itb's!

Still got the cold air feed in because i cant be bothered to remove it! perhaps ones day! i guess it keeps the bay a bit cooler, but probably not. next time im doing something on the car i'll pull it out

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
i work as a prototype engine builder for jag, but have just moved departments and now i run a test cell running the engines that i used to build. trying to get a full set of skills. been here 7years now. Fabrication is a skill we use all the time so knocking this up was fairly simple...im lucky i have all the material and equipment that allows this kinda thing.

Sounds like an awesome job mate! does sound really interesting!

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Got them from Merlins the other day mate. Wanted a box but doesnt look like theres enough room really.

They were bwt £11 quid each i think.