ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Integra DC2

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
So, the track day.

Up at 5:30 and out for 6:15am to be up at Teeside before briefing at 8am.

As the street was quiet, I took a quick pic of my two cars together for perhaps the first time I think

EDED7176-623B-439A-832A-6C3C6B980E5E_zpspzqk8ftw.jpg

Anyway, got through the briefing etc and held off going on track for 30minutes or so. Let all the nutters get it out of their system I thought :lol:

So after checking all my fluid wheel nuts etc I headed out for my first lap. As I was coming down the pits ready to join, an RS6 flew past me. A good marker as any on a track like Teeside.. so I used him as a pace car for a bit.

The RS6 was bloody quick in a straight line, but on a small track like Teeside, he had no advantage on the DC2. I was a lot faster, and despite him knowing this, he wouldn't pull over to let me overtake. The car was all over the shop trying to shake the DC2 off. I've never seen an RS6 dance like that, imagine a fat lass after 10 pints of Stella, where the DC2 just stayed composed and smooth right on it's tail 8)

After 3 or so laps of being on his rear bumper and growing tired, I decided to take a cool down lap to let him get ahead enough of me that I could push into corners without fear of bumping him!

Anyway, half way through my cooling lap, I saw him in the wall. The circuit was red flagged and we all pulled into the pics. This was the result:

3FE8F424-39AC-46A5-874D-5CFB2271371F_zps4hzbl5xg.jpg

A932B7A9-3C0E-4B10-9FCD-718B790E7899_zpsfgjiepmz.jpg

Go easy out there! Especially if you're trying to outrun a DC2 in a car as large as that on a tight track. The lad was gutted obviously, I can't see that being a cheap or easy fix.

Anyway, after the aftermath of that had settled I headed back out for some more laps with my mate in passenger. We had 4 or 5 very fast laps, passing a VX220 and an Ibiza Cupra. He was videoing on his camera with a wide angle lens, so when it's uploaded I'll post it.

14328689051_1c3bcedcc4_c.jpg
Honda Integra DC2 by Kurt Blythman, on Flickr

Unfortunately then disaster struck. Pulling out of a tight right hander I felt severe wheel wobble, as if my wheel was about to drop off! I quickly pulled into the pits, and with a bit (lot) of help from various people we diagnosed the half shaft bearing was goosed. It had collapsed completely, and while in gear while lifted up was creating enough force to move the engine side to side slightly.

One of the lads got on the phone to a breaker in Bishop Auckland to see what he had, and we went across to pick up another shaft for a tenner. Got back and fitted the shaft for around 3pm.

14352213973_8a0c6f5cca_c.jpg
Honda Integra DC2 by Kurt Blythman, on Flickr

Unfortunately, although the bearing was obviously much better, it wasn't perfect, and I still have a slight vibration when cornering hard while accelerating, any more track time would have been stupid - so I called it a day there.

Limped the car home (80 miles ish) staying off the motorways, took around 2 hours but the car made it fine.

All that said, I'm still very happy with how the car performed on those first couple of sessions. All the time, money and more money have 'paid' off - emotionally at least.

Now just to get that shaft replaced properly. £186 for a brand new Yunaka OE replacement, which is apparently uprated. Although a breaker has messaged me saying he has a mint one for £30. Always tempting when something is 1/6th of the cost used. Might be worth a punt! Can the bearing not just be replaced? Now that I have a spare shaft at least!

418C905E-241B-4254-AFB3-5CD4A51AB98A_zps5esl62gi.jpg

Dan

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Epic update again mate, awesome!
Love the wheels, they look perfect tbh.

Regarding the shaft, personally, i'd buy the uprated replacement for piece of mind.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Also, what model/version of the DC2 would you recommend? :eek:
I'm looking at cars, looked at plenty of boosted stuff but the love for Honda's is too much.

Torn between a DC2 or DC5. S2000 is also a possibility! Hah!

Deffo used piece and not peace too, LOL!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a massive fan of the tat exterior but i'm into polishing with seamen.

Also did the guy use a spray gun at any point? Pure powder coat looks rather pure on it's own. Very coarse.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Epic update again mate, awesome!
Love the wheels, they look perfect tbh.

Regarding the shaft, personally, i'd buy the uprated replacement for piece of mind.

Also, what model/version of the DC2 would you recommend? :eek:
I'm looking at cars, looked at plenty of boosted stuff but the love for Honda's is too much.

Torn between a DC2 or DC5. S2000 is also a possibility! Hah!

Deffo used piece and not peace too, LOL!

Further investigation and it's probably the inner CV thats making the noise. There's a chance it was fitted dry, I bought it from a breakers and never thought to check. DO'H! Never mind.

The best DC2 is without a doubt a Type Rx 98 spec JDM. Although I'd take a good condition 96 spec over a tatty 98 spec.

UKDM are getting ever cheaper these days too. I saw one for under £3k the other day! UKDM are basically 98 spec with a restricted exhaust manifold, so replacing that and you've got a very good car for not a lot.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I'm not a massive fan of the tat exterior but i'm into polishing with seamen.

Also did the guy use a spray gun at any point? Pure powder coat looks rather pure on it's own. Very coarse.

Polishing with seamen? You've lost me there.

I'm not sure on his methods, but he works for a very reputable chain. Had I had that done through the books, it would have cost me double what I paid.

He didn't want me taking pictures of customer cars but some of the metal in there was awesome.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Further investigation and it's probably the inner CV thats making the noise. There's a chance it was fitted dry, I bought it from a breakers and never thought to check. DO'H! Never mind.

The best DC2 is without a doubt a Type Rx 98 spec JDM. Although I'd take a good condition 96 spec over a tatty 98 spec.

UKDM are getting ever cheaper these days too. I saw one for under £3k the other day! UKDM are basically 98 spec with a restricted exhaust manifold, so replacing that and you've got a very good car for not a lot.

Cheers mate, there's a few really cheap ones on PH, or they seem cheap anyway.
Think I want something a bit more raw next, so i'd probably favour a DC2 over a 5.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Cheers mate, there's a few really cheap ones on PH, or they seem cheap anyway.
Think I want something a bit more raw next, so i'd probably favour a DC2 over a 5.

DC5s are good, theres no doubting that - but the DC2 is in a different league as far as driving experience goes!