ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Late 2011 MacBook Pro

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Slight MacBook Virgin. Only used the newer ones back and forth. Bought this for my daughter a few years back.

I know it's the classic. All the ports. Fixable etc and will always be worth a few quid. I want to get it specced and set up properly to start.

So I've attached pics of the spec and want to do a clean install also. I will be googling and also you tubing but lots of tech help on here!

Attachments

• 20200507_204602.jpg
    20200507_204602.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • 20200507_204510.jpg
    20200507_204510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
  • 20200507_204416.jpg
    20200507_204416.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You ‘might’ find the memory amount soldered onto the motherboard - though with a 2011 model, you might get away with it.

Reformatting the MAC couldn’t be easier. Have you got an existing Apple ID already? I can talk it through with you tomorrow if that helps? :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to make a fresh one I think as I'm Google eco system daft! We had one on our old old iPad!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
My MacBook is pretty much exactly the same base spec, late 2011 i5 but I’ve upgraded the RAM to 16 GB and put a SSD in there and to this day it’s perfect, the only downside is the battery is poor now but this can be upgraded quite easily.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely. I'm guessing this is a 500hard drive. Ssd first then ram upgrade. Best place to buy the SSD. I don't need space just want to tart it up!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Same as mine as well, I've got 16gb ram in mine as well.

SSD in the primary slot and the old HDD in the optical drive for extra storage

Is getting on a bit now so looking to upgrade, although it'll be to a windows machine as MBP prices now are stupid

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The new air started at 999 which is really good. It will be a fantastic machine. Some great Windows laptops now though. The new surface laptops are fantastic quaility and avoid alcanatara.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I used to get my memory from Crucial. Were always good on price and a trusted seller. My dad used these when he owned a computer shop years ago.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
All the recommendations were crucial for the average user. Found the one recommend by Mac users. Wi go 512 even just for resale! Going to have to make sure I'm confident with the changeover!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lol wut. Crucial just for the average user?
My dad used to build pro spec systems using Crucial memory. I've got mine in my Dell and it's not missed a beat in 5 years.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
As above my RAM and SSD are both from Crucial but I think the Samsung EVO SSD’s are highly regarded. If you install an SSD there is a little set up of installing the OS on it, it’s pretty straight forward though I just followed a YouTube video and used a USB drive.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Same as mine as well, I've got 16gb ram in mine as well.

SSD in the primary slot and the old HDD in the optical drive for extra storage

Is getting on a bit now so looking to upgrade, although it'll be to a windows machine as MBP prices now are stupid

I switched to windows because of the price and it was a mistake I hate it,
I’m going back to Mac the price seems worth it not to have to deal with ridiculous faults.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I switched to windows because of the price and it was a mistake I hate it,
I’m going back to Mac the price seems worth it not to have to deal with ridiculous faults.
Tbf I think I'll stick with it

Almost bought a 16" MBP this morning but seen sense lol. Think I'll get a decent spec Windows laptop for doing editing and the odd game as you can pick up a decent spec machine for like a third of what the new MBP is and stick with the old macbook for the rest

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lol wut. Crucial just for the average user?
My dad used to build pro spec systems using Crucial memory. I've got mine in my Dell and it's not missed a beat in 5 years.
Sorry, I think comapred with the sandisk and samsung ones that had crazy speeds etc it was a more straigth forward product than going nuts.

Well the one listed was anyway. It was like £60 maybe? I am sure crucial do crazy specced ones also.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I put 16gb of crucial RAM in my old MacBook because at the time they were cheapest. It also had a Samsung SSD.

Used it for 5 years with no issues before selling last year.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the posts guys. Will do both the ram and ssd at the same time, save f**king around.

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying? Or anyone link botht he crucial ram and SSD save my ineptness getting it wrong!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Go onto the website. You put your model in and it'll give you all the options that will work. Both Ram and SSD.

Reactions: Ben

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah perfect, assumed amazon etc would be the best place. I sound like a noob, I have replaced ram a number of times just never been modding a macbook.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I assume it's the same process for replacing RAM on a MacBook as it is to a Windows laptop. I done mine and the SSD and it was simple. I got Acronis software to mirror my old HD content over to the SSD before installing it. Can't see it being much different to iOS tbh.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got an early 2011 upgraded with a crucial SSD and 16GB RAM, still fine for most things but struggles a little now on and processor heavy stuff (but then I Have other machines for that stuff).

Crucial will be fine performance wise, I’d take a Crucial drive over Sandisk anyday.

And it’s only really he pricier Samsung Pro drives that will really offer increased performance, but even then when talking SSDs you’re unlikely to notice the difference.

It’s when you go up to nvme drives when things get silly speeds, but that’s irrelevant here.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If you get something to plug the SSD into the MacBook externally then you can make a backup before putting it inside. They make it much easier than windows.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'll do some research on that one. Essentially it sounds like I'm copying the whole machine on a memory drive which is weird. So I'll make sure I'm happy with that process and everything else first.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Any must haves in the apps/software department?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Any must haves in the apps/software department?
What are you using it for?
You could possibly get a deal with Adobe. Think they have offers on their monthly subscriptions depending what you want it for (they offer a photography and a full package for video etc. I've just got Photoshop and Lightroom and it's £10 per month. Can get it cheaper now though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I watched Austin's video a while back, in fairness I had the idea about a year ago. Just didn't need one!

I'll give a video edit a go probably once the SSD and ram are in. Not for any reason except I'd like to learn more about it! iMovie acceptable enough for free?

I currently edit on mobile so anything is an improvement.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Having a bit of an issue with external display.

Mini display port to hdmi. Have 2 cables. Both work.

Both can find an external display when I hit the mirror display button but the TV nor the monitor will recognise the signal going out of the MacBook.

More frustratingly... Both worked fine when they arrived. Was only once turned off this issue happened with both.

Just don't get it. The signal is there because the screen flickers etc but the external display just isn't recognising it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What brand cables are they? I had a belkin one for my old MacBook and that worked perfectly.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have just went for a 2011 MacBook Pro to a 2012 MacBook Pro.

My 2011 is a i5 and it was now no longer updating so I went for a 2012 i7 2.9ghz.

My 2011 i5 worked perfect with a 500SSD from crucial along with crucial 16gb of ram.

I have since done some messing about and now have the following.

MacBook Pro 2012.
Catalina 10.15.4
i7 2.9GHZ
16GB Ram crucial
500 SSD crucial
750 HHD

@gally if you are wanting anything changed on the MacBook or it wiped and started again then give me a shout and will have it done in a few hours for you.

The best thing you can do is buy a SSD (crucial) and upgrade the RAM to 16gb on a fresh MacBook and you are good for a while yet and if you are looking for Lightroom I have it here for you if needed FOC.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What brand cables are they? I had a belkin one for my old MacBook and that worked perfectly.
Can't remember. Can you nuke one but it still partially work. The MacBook can find all the info on the displays connected. I can move primary window etc no problem at all. It's like it working.

Yet no external display (dell monitor and 2 Samsung TVs.) Can find the Mac signal.

The Mac finds all 3. It's the opposite of what the usual issues are (Mac can't find display)

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If they’re cheap no name cables then they may have stopped working already, it’s not unheard of.

Definitely try the above link first though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If they stopped working would only the output stop? And both in the space of a day? Both brand new. One is of pretty good quality.

Input is fine...

20200519_211815.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Might just be Apple and cheap(?) leads?
I had issues with my work iPhone screen mirroring to the TV with a cheap lead. Bought an Apple one and it was flawless. Could be as simple as that?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It could be. Definitely considered that. If I could guarantee it was I'd buy one.

Is there anyway it can be output? Graphics card etc being poor or is that impossible? Just can't understand why it's sending a clear signal and reading it but won't send it back to the monitor.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I would buy either Apple or Belkin as they usually do a lot of third party bits for them.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Timely thread, last week I dug out my old mid-2009 MBP and put a new battery in it, £36 quid later it's back to almost like new. Won't run the latest version of OSX but for my needs (surfing p**n sites) it'll do grand :D

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Update - now my 2009 MBP is running Catalina (Using the patcher) - happy days

Interested to see how it goes mate. I wasn't sure whether to update it or not. What are the upsides and downsides?

My one runs perfectly. My missus is using a large dell external monitor which works with vga to thunderbolt without issue now and it runs perfect, just leaving the lid shut and suing mouse and keyboard.

I use it most nights and doesn't miss a beat.