ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Magnex marathon!!!!

I've recently been trying to track down a Magnex centre section to match up to the back box my car's currently fitted with. Now I already knew it wasn't going to be an off the shelf job as you can only buy back boxes or full systems retail. I did however think that if I rung up Magnex and explain my problem that they might be able to sort something out for me, lets face it the centre section is one half of their cat back kits so they must be making them every day.

My first phone call drew a blank, the person on the other end of the phone telling me there was no part no. for a centre section so there was no way I could get one. I decided to retreat and regroup, then phoned again a week or so later and this time got a guy who was much more forthcoming. He told me all the usual about it not being a retail part on its own but continued to say it shouldn't be a problem getting one for me and people had done it in the past, should be about £130 to £150ish. He told me he couldn't sort it for me over the phone and said I should to go to my local Magnex retailer and give them the details so they can order it for me. Then I made my mistake, I didn't ask for his name for future use before putting the phone down Doh!

I checked the list of approved dealers on their website, saw Euro car parts and thought there's one in Norwich. Got on the phone, gave all the details and was told they'd ring magnex for me and let me know when it was sorted. Three days went by and nothing so rang again, nobody even remembers me calling or can find any of my details, no problem tho apparently and we go through it all again and was told they would ring me back that day. I'm still waiting for that phone call.....

So I thought i'll give Halfords a try it's only 5 mins down the road and I can argue it all face to face. Got there, went through all the usual, told no can do etc. Said look, ring Magnex it was them who told me they could do it. He rings them, talks for a bit then I hear him say "so he's definitely got to buy the full system?" "and it's £357, ok i'll tell him". He tells me it's impossible etc etc so I gave up and left.

Please see my post in the wanted section.... lol

Really though, you'd think they would be able to sort something out for you, for the sake of a good reputation and some old fashioned customer service. I mean they must be manufacturing centre sections everyday. Say they had a batch of 50 cat back systems in their current batch on the shopfloor, surely they could have made 51 centre sections and let me have one?!

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Wouldn't it be easier to just go to Powerflow or somewhere or as a Last Resort SCA as they sell Magnex Exhausts

Megane 225
I had the same problem, tho when I emailed Magnex, they gave me a price etc and 6 weeks later, the centre section arrived!

I have been thinking of going to Powerflow, probably will be the plan...

I'd forgotten SCA sell Magnex, although I'd prefer not to try there after some reports. A friend of mine ended up late for work because they kept him waiting there for his car for hours when doing what was sposed to be a 30min job. I get the impression you're ok if your one of their mates. Only going on hear say tho really.

I had the same problem, tho when I emailed Magnex, they gave me a price etc and 6 weeks later, the centre section arrived!

Thanks for letting me know. Might just try a last gasp sob story email to them to see if it works for me too.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Yeah I'd avoid SCA TBH, I had my Magnex 182 Exhaust Fitted there and the Guys there know my Brother-In-Law so made a Gap in there Day to fit it for me BUT from the Word go it was trouble, Buy Parts from them Yes but get them to fit them Hell No!

I know a Guy in Norwich who sorted mine out and does all proper TIG Welding who may be able to manufacture something for you if you can't get a result any other way

LY 182
so you have a magnex backbox designed to fit a standard 172 mid section? if so it wont fit the magnex center section as its larger bore.

so it would need custom welding together anyway.

thats why they dont do them seperate as they wouldnt fit together,

and, magnex center sections are awful.

i had to cut, bend and reweld mine in two places just to get the thing to fit

The back box's are the same, mine does have a 2.5" dia pipe into it. When you buy the back box only they come with a reducer sleeve to get them on to the end of the standard 2".

I'm keeping my options open at the moment tho now, thanks for the advice.