ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk4 Golf Progress.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Im not going for any particular look im just doing whatever i want with the car, I could go out and raise it up in 10minutes, but i dont want to.

Bare with me, it will look good when it's finished.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Im not going for any particular look im just doing whatever i want with the car, I could go out and raise it up in 10minutes, but i dont want to.

Bare with me, it will look good when it's finished.

That, I do not doubt, but my point still stands.

I'd just make it a bit higher so that it isn't a pain until you get decent wheels, that's all.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Surely if the car passes a mot then it's deemed road worthy so all your arguments about being unsafe in a crash are void? It is afterall an mot's purpose. A lot worse things have been cut and welded on cars tbh.

Surely if the car passes a mot then it's deemed road worthy so all your arguments about being unsafe in a crash are void? It is afterall an mot's purpose. A lot worse things have been cut and welded on cars tbh.

Because some rough arsed greasy c**t in a backstreet garage understands material/weld behaviours/chassis construction etc etc etc. MOTs in reality are a crock of s**t.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Alot of people who have shoddy notches fail mot's. Sadly its just a case of going to the next testing stating and trying. Vosa can also write them off if they see. Its not a case of "oh well people dont see it".

Would you buy a CAT D/C car with a pigeon s**t welded chassis?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Agreed on the MOT bit. My last car passed with so many things loose/broke AND with illegal plates.

The notch is done so no point going on about it now, im happy with it.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Alot of people who have shoddy notches fail mot's. Sadly its just a case of going to the next testing stating and trying. Vosa can also write them off if they see. Its not a case of "oh well people dont see it".

Would you buy a CAT D/C car with a pigeon s**t welded chassis?

I wouldn't buy any cat car but if a car passes a properly done MOT it is deemed safe for you and the road.

Do you think a caterham has the same protection as a golf? No so by having a few notches doesn't make him burst into flames the first corner he enters. FACT

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't buy any cat car but if a car passes a properly done MOT it is deemed safe for you and the road.

Do you think a caterham has the same protection as a golf? No so by having a few notches doesn't make him burst into flames the first corner he enters. FACT

What are you on about?! haha! Lost the plot.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A small notch on a MK4 chassis will make little difference in the strength. That things made of thick as f**k steel, hence why the mk4 also weighs about 100 billion tonnes.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Yeah it is fairly heavy for it's size. I've seen far worse notches done. Cut hole, weld steel pipe in, job done.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Wow, Kev going on yet another of his massive off the point rants!

WTF have I said what's off topic exactly? I made the point that a MOT deems a car safe. Fact. You tried to dispute it amongst others with weak arguments. Also fact.

All regarding the safety of the notch.

LOL, an MOT does not make a car safe! It just makes it ROAD LEGAL at that point in time.

Your ranting about Caterham vs Golf chassis' and MOTs is totally off point to the other arguments about the altered structural strength of the chassis rail.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
LOL, an MOT does not make a car safe! It just makes it ROAD LEGAL at that point in time.

Your ranting about Caterham vs Golf chassis' and MOTs is totally off point to the other arguments about the altered structural strength of the chassis rail.

Does it deem a car safe to use on the road?

Is it in place for the safety of the owner and other road users?

My point about the caterham was to amplify the fact that taking away 1% strength away from the golfs chasis made no difference to required standards as other lesser cars make it through.

Or was that too hard to follow for you?

1% strength?

Jeezoooo. Get a kitchen roll tube...its kinda strong....now cut a wedge out it and see how strong it is now....

Does it deem a car safe to use on the road?

Is it in place for the safety of the owner and other road users?

My point about the caterham was to amplify the fact that taking away 1% strength away from the golfs chasis made no difference to required standards as other lesser cars make it through.

Or was that too hard to follow for you?

In the sense of a chassis notch, no. Stringent crash tests deem a car safe to use on the road in the terms people were talking. You just chucked MOTs in. As long as a tester thinks the weld is fine then that's all that matters for the MOT. Doesn't mean it's actually safe.

Caterham vs Golf was a stupid comparison anyway, one is a tubular frame, one is formed from sheets of metal.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
In the sense of a chassis notch, no. Stringent crash tests deem a car safe to use on the road in the terms people were talking. You just chucked MOTs in. As long as a tester thinks the weld is fine then that's all that matters for the MOT. Doesn't mean it's actually safe.

Caterham vs Golf was a stupid comparison anyway, one is a tubular frame, one is formed from sheets of metal.

i used an mot as that is the only test there is for a cars road worthyness. so my point is the cars road worthy. which i said originally.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'm blessed to have so many randomers care so much about my well-being in a RTA.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
So the car is going in the next couple of weeks.

Next car wont be having any notches ;) Starlet GT Turbo, ek9 Civic or if I can get a quote less than £3,800, a UK DC2 Integra.

Or if anything else catches my eye, something either boosted or with VTEC.

Although my Sub&Amp will be took out and put in the next car, can't drive without bass :eek:

That is all.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Civic or a Starlet? Two very different cars.

You'll hate a starlet after the golf unless its a crazy spec. Trust..;) haha

CBR1000RR Fireblade
So the car is going in the next couple of weeks.

Next car wont be having any notches ;) Starlet GT Turbo, ek9 Civic or if I can get a quote less than £3,800, a UK DC2 Integra.

Or if anything else catches my eye, something either boosted or with VTEC.

Although my Sub&Amp will be took out and put in the next car, can't drive without bass :eek:

That is all.

you did this a few weeks back and decided to keep the car because you couldnt get insured on anything else.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
LIL B - Roffle.

Things have changed financially, and FYI the Civic I was going to buy was £700 a year to insure, so it wasn't insurance that stopped the sale ;)

A mate of mine has 2 ep3's for sale and a UK DC2 Integra @ 221bhp. Quote came out at £3,800 for the Integra, only used s**tty compairson sites though, a quote anywhere near 3k and it's mine. Accord wheels on it though :dead:

I'm aware that the Civic and Starlet are different cars, but if it's not boosted it has to be VTEC as I'll just get disappointed if it's N/A. I love both so it's a win win situation.

Last edited:
  172/1.2/E30
LIL B - Roffle.

Things have changed financially, and FYI the Civic I was going to buy was £700 a year to insure, so it wasn't insurance that stopped the sale ;)

A mate of mine has 2 ep3's for sale and a UK DC2 Integra @ 221bhp. Quote came out at £3,800 for the Integra, only used s**tty compairson sites though, a quote anywhere near 3k and it's mine. Accord wheels on it though :dead:

I'm aware that the Civic and Starlet are different cars, but if it's not boosted it has to be VTEC as I'll just get disappointed if it's N/A. I love both so it's a win win situation.

Vtec Hondas are still NA fyi.