ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk4 Golf Progress.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Lol shhhhh. Tbh i'm not worried, even if it does go it's only replacing the cams isn't it

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lol shhhhh. Tbh i'm not worried, even if it does go it's only replacing the cams isn't it

"Only"..haha! Thats if you catch it early. Cost my mate over 1k. He had AA cover so they paid £500.00 towards it..

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Thats nothing - i saw this yesterday.

getlow.jpg
pencil.png

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
"Only"..haha! Thats if you catch it early. Cost my mate over 1k. He had AA cover so they paid £500.00 towards it..

I havn't read into it alot but now i'm worrying lol Cams isn't a big problem, but what does it damge further down the line then?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Don't VW/Seat fix that for free though? What year is your Toledo?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I was told VW fix the Golfs for free, others haven't been so lucky, at least you wont have to pay the full bill.

The cam issues are nothing to do with poor servicing/bad oil choice. Mind was fully serviced by VW on time and to spec, its just down to poor cam material. When my cam went they gave me 85% goodwill on a total bill of nearly £2k and they would not let me take the old cam for my own anaylsis.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Its a bit of myth that they pay tbh. Try it and see what they say..

Scrooge, cam swarf into the block. Can kill turbo's, bottom end failure..

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Its a bit of myth that they pay tbh. Try it and see what they say..

Scrooge, cam swarf into the block. Can kill turbo's, bottom end failure..

Very true, servicing every 6 months with the correct oil should do the trick I think

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Lol. If im honest I never get any bad comments about the car really, mainly only compliments. The only people that say it looks broke seem to be the older guys, (not aimed at anyone) one of my tutors came up to me today and asked when I installed the air suspension LOL Doesn't bother me in the slightest, everyone has their own opinion, I love it this low.

It will look 100x better when I get colour coded splitters and them 16s on, which I should have got agessss ago.

Ph2 1.2, Ph1 172
What had you done to it for it to reach that kind of power?

mod wise it had 3" decat and exhaust, custom remap, egr delete, intake mods, cleaned inlet (yes this does make a difference) and a proper FMIC as the VW FMIC wasn't all that good. I had started to save for a hybrid conversion and sachs paddle clutch but the great road conditions killed it :(

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Agree with the inlet.... when I had my EGR blanked/inlet cleaned out and an ITG panel filter fitted there was a big difference in power and a small increase in MPG too. Last week I got 74MPG.

Ph2 1.2, Ph1 172
mine was fantastic, even with the remap on the motorway i was averaging 60-70 mpg and on the back roads and general commute getting 45-55mpg... I'd deffo have another but maybe just settle for a tdi130 and go down the hybrid route with that.

Although i have been looking at Jetta's and the extra room could be handy with all the bike kit i carry around.

Good to see people getting these low, but it's just a pain having to navigate round areas with speed bumps etc

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Chassis notched.

During:

255000_10150638273720296_861300295_18900467_3821560_n.jpg

After:

254915_10150638275185296_861300295_18900486_6862120_n.jpg

Worked out well, no knocks anymore! Love it.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Whats wrong with it lol Doesnt have to look good as long as it does its job and passes MOT.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Regain any lost power and an increase in MPG. In the newer TDIs it throws on the EML light, but yours is 2003 i think? It should be ok.

Deffo worth doing.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Regain any lost power and an increase in MPG. In the newer TDIs it throws on the EML light, but yours is 2003 i think? It should be ok.

Deffo worth doing.

I have a vagcom, its an old one but it should still do the job of deleting the Egr off the system. Just looked they are only £50 from allards so a bargain.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I took mine to a local mechanic and he made me one up for a fiver, wouldnt pay £50 for 2 plates of metal lol

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Weld is very thin on that. Mine looks very similar to my mates notch and he got his done by the same person who installed his air suspension so its not a bad job for a 1st go IMO. No ones ever going to see it anyway so its not important.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
We had originally used a holesaw (can see the teeth marks in 1st pic) but it was off centre and was becoming loose very easily, so out came the grinder :D lol

Would have worked fine with the holesaw had it of stayed on for longer than 2seconds.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Finally remapped.

153BHP & 275lb/ft.

Had 3 runs, first at standard where I got 126bhp, second was with the map, 151bhp & 286 lb/ft, he said he'd never seen a 115 pull that amount of torque, way into the 130 territory, but the torque was in all one surge so had it mapped again to smooth out the line and again the last map came out at 153bhp & 275lb/ft.

£210 well spent, pulls like a train! I'll whack up a pic of the graph soon as im waiting on a mate to upload the photo. :D

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL at calling it pikey notching, thats a LOT better than my notch and about 80% of notches.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Lol... I thought it was a decent notch, like to see anyone here do a better job as their first time :p No one but the MOT man will see it anyway so I dont understand what looks has anything to do with it. No more knocks so thats all I care about! lol

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
On the mk4 Golfs, Boras, Toledos etc, when you lower the car the driver side driveshaft can hit the chassis rail, therefore needing a notch. Fails MOT without a notch and passes with a notch.

Just basically making more room for it.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I bet that lights the wheels up easily, with that much torque in such a narrow rev band!