ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 'new' 172 Flamer - WARNING - AUSTRALIAN CONTENT!!

172 sport
G'day CS guys and gals! Greetings from Adelaide SA. Just thought id put up a post of my little 2003 172 which I picked up a week or so ago. These cars arent really a common sight over here so its nice to have something a bit different (+ it has good sleeper value :)) Its pretty clean and the previous owner did not skimp on looking after it so I think it will be a good car for me. It has just gone 100K kms (62,000 miles) and has just had timing/acc belts etc and full service earlier this year (which cost him a bomb on the reciept).. We dont have the winters like you guys so I think the cars have a nicer life here - (my other car is a 1965 ford falcon :))
The car is pretty stock but came with some tasty little extras which I quite like personally - I think he did well and now I dont have to shell out for them!

-new koni adjustable dampers
-new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's
-RS tuner running latest 172 map
-slotted front rotors (unsure of brand but the thing stops on a dime..)
-stainless braided lines
-2 sets of new mintex pads - when I got the car it had the 'extreme' pads but I have already swapped them out for the 'sports' pads. I found the extremes were too grabby around town and squealed like a b**ch on light applications. Sports pads are much nicer with a more modulated feel. Keep the others for track days if that ever happens!
-K&N panel filter
-ipod integration - nice and neat with stalk control
-upgraded speakers
-nice premium tint for the harsh Aussie sun!
-nice Rs floor matting throughout
-Ktec enigine/gearbox mounts
-new exhaust hanger, RHF driveshaft, clutch cable, plugs, leads and other bits and bobs.
-FSH with thousands of dollars of receipts - nice. Nothing s**t has been done to the car IMO. Underneath its very clean.

Plans are - not much! Maintain and enjoy, im prob a bit old to be faffing around modding cars these days lol. Been there done that and I think these cars are already a pretty good package as is.
Having said that Ive already chucked a ally footrest, silver bulbs, clear repeaters and am tempted possibly to put some spacers and sportlines in it... although I am over having a s**t ride just for the sake of looks - opinions welcome!
You may or not be aware that our 172's came with the 15' wheels as standard here. I guess the frogs thinking was that we all just drive on dirt roads over here lol. It wasnt untill I joined this site that I found out you guys have the same wheel but in 16' - love to get some of those but shipping would be a b**ch! Anyone know how much they weigh w/out tyres? Car prob is suited to 15's more tbh dynamically.

Impressions of the car are good so far now that I am getting used to the oddball driving position. This thing is on rails compare to my 90 cressida that I just sold! Have'nt noticed any of the rattling problems people seem to bang on about - slight vibes through the wheel on idle but I put this down to the ktec mounts I rekon. Good power for the size of the car - my wife has a subaru forester turbo which has been tricked up a bit and its not all that quicker in a straight line than the clio tbh!

Anyhoo thanks for looking! Sorry if the pics come up small - photobucket has gone retarded and wouldnt let me sign up...

From this.. 2012 asia 006.jpg To this :)newones 002.jpg2012 asia 001.jpg2012 asia 002.jpg2012 asia 003.jpg2012 asia 004.jpg2012 asia 005.jpg

Attachments

• newones 001.jpg
    newones 001.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 88
  172 sport
newones 005.jpgnewones 001.jpgnewones 002.jpgnewones 003.jpgnewones 004.jpg
couple more shots - whats yours guys opinions on the stripes? Certainly nothing I would put on myself but they are kinda growing on me.. The ones on the roof are a bit faded and need replacing - maybe go black? Or clean?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Welcome along, pics of Falcon? Out of interest what tyre ratio came from factory on the 15s? 185/55 or 195/50?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome mate.

I like the flamer (i'd loose the stripes but its your car do what you want!). My ph2 172 drove a lot better on 15" wheels so I wouldn't bother changing, tyres are a lot cheaper than 16s aswel.

Love that old Ford!