ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Car, Bright Red MPS Content!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Thought id start a little project thread, somewhee to add all the little bits i have done, and will do to the car. I have no major plans at the moment, but i didnt with my last car and it ended up like this...

b1860ace.jpg

So my car as i picked her up!
105998b1.jpg

f9aa89d0.jpg

797876ca.jpg

9327e7a0.jpg

In great condition, with just over 50k on the clock, 1 owner from new and full Mazda main dealer service history.

I managed to get a forge valve from a lad on MPSowners.co.uk for £40, so fitted that too.

Before:
d9be9ce4.jpg

After:
08f13b1c.jpg

05d6ab6b.jpg

To be honest, other than being shiny i cant feel any real difference and the sound is still the same as it was. The only time I've noticed a slight noise from it is if i build boost in 4th, and then let off and its gives a "ping" type noise. But i guess its serviceable and more reliable.

And after a play around with my mate in his 05' STI, i fitted this!

8f692827.jpg

I have ordered a few bits too, one of which arrived today from the USA, i ordered it on monday, delivered today, immense!

3be457e8.jpg

For use with the Versa-tuner software once it is released, allowing me to map the car as and when i choose, also has downloadable maps published by other users so quite cool!

The final part Im waiting for from the USA is a Grimmspeed BCS, that i will initially use in two port mode, and then get the car mapped in interrupt mode to reduce waste gate duty cycles, and get the boost on faster!

057027l.jpg

Cheers and sorry for the essay!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Awesome, apart from £400 road tax ofcourse :eek:

IIRC alot of these read higher BHP figures than the quoted 256bhp factory? Sure i read that on a forum somewhere?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
As you've always said Dave Sssssshhhhhhh > Brrwwwaaaaap ;)

Recirc valve will help more once car is mapped. On the Megane it supposedly helps improve throttle response with Stage 2.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
allowing me to map the car as and when i choose, also has downloadable maps published by other users so quite cool!

That just sounds dangerous, purely as people, like me, would just wind the boost right up. Then. BANG. Just like the 90's with bleed valves on R5 GTT & ERST/FRST's lol ...

Looks nice though, not the best looker though ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I didn't realise you'd got rid of the 182 mate! Really like the MPS's, almost have a Q-Car quality to them. Nice one!

Mk5 golf gti
Totally love that :) what's the handling like?

Interested in buying one at some point

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
handling's good to be honest, handles the power well, just. i think it will be more interesting wih 300+ bhp, the LSD helps. Its essentially a focus anyway, just faster. (cue Munson lol)

That just sounds dangerous, purely as people, like me, would just wind the boost right up. Then. BANG. Just like the 90's with bleed valves on R5 GTT & ERST/FRST's lol ...

The software won allow any dangerous, or potentially dangerous settings to be used, it still keeps the factory over boost parameters etc, and monitors the AFR to ensure you don't do anything too stupid! The most dangerous bit would be to fit the boost controller i have bought in interrupt mode with no tuning, would kill its self and over boost massively!

Once i have the software, ill be having a word with Matt @ TDF, see if he will have a go at mapping the car using it for me, as i said with the clio, i wont let anyone else map my cars from now on. epic skillz!

if only i could get higher than 23.7 mpg!!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i have lead lined shoes though! i will behave for a tank and see how it does. i have confirmed it is def speed limited to 155 too lol

Megane 225 F1
That looks awesome. Don't know f**k all about them but I always look at them when I see them on the road.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
been for a little blat with my mate in his R32 again, hehehe, upsets him a lot lol

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Looking good Dave. Do you think you'll manage to stay sensible with this one, or do you envisage some tasty Cobb parts getting delivered in the post.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
lol intercooler from cobb is a work of art.......

$1000, but $350 postage!! may settle for a forge one!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
yeah, but need upgraded fuel pump internals for that too..... i wont lie, ill prob do it lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Do you? What did Stoddie do to his! His would be a good benchmark. Cobb DP, Map, Intake, blowoff valve...350bhp.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Do you? What did Stoddie do to his! His would be a good benchmark. Cobb DP, Map, Intake, blowoff valve...350bhp.
+fmic iirc

They look seriously tame without the aero kit.

Interested on how the versatune thingy works..

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
To be honest I do prefer it with out the aero kit, though if a set of aero springs come up I'll snap em up.

I'm hopefully going to get the software as a beta tester for the UK for free on the condition I get before / after figures on the dyno. Gives me an excuse to take the car to matt to be fiddled with!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
What are you looking at spending for ~350bhp on these? What did Stoddie spend, Ali? £2k ish?

They need to be quick though, they're not exactly a looker. :eek:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I really like these cars.

I'm even a fan of the looks for some reason. Although I am due an eye tesr.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
For 350bhp

Induction kit & Turbo inlet pipe - £220ish
Forge Recirc valve - £119
3" downpipe and de-cat - £400
3" Exhaust - £600
Front mounted intercooler - £550ish
Map - £500ish

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Subtle filth, these cars - just like their larger '6' sibling too. A rare, but welcome sight on the roads.

As bad as the fuel consumption appears to be, I wonder how they would fare if Mazda shoved a rotary in there along with a pair of hefty turbos instead? ;)

D.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
What are you looking at spending for ~350bhp on these? What did Stoddie spend, Ali? £2k ish?

They need to be quick though, they're not exactly a looker. :eek:

Exactly that mate. 2k i think. He bought disks and other trick bits too i think.

I think they need the aero kit. Awesome cars. SO fast it actually shocked me and sounded nice too!