ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Car! - Naples Red Clio 1.4

MK1 Clio 1.4
So i started out with this:

20140207_153805_zps416fdb2c.jpg

It was a good first car but after being so basic and not great condition, i eventually grew to dislike it, so after it helped me acheive my 1st years NCB i set about moving on.

Initial attempts to sell fell futile....

...Not long after, it decided to break.

I tried some cheap fixes but these did not work so i cheaply got rid.

So i had some cash and wanted a new car, i initially viewed some peugeot 306's but both of these seemed to have been stolen so i stayed well clear, one more week passed and i had found nothing until i spotted a lovely red '98 clio 1.4 with only 54k mileage and full service history. Initially i needed convincing by my gf that i would like it (i had planned to go slightly bigger this time).

After a quick viewing and a rapid fall that concluded with my head over my heels, i took the plunge!

I then drove this beauty home:

2014-06-14181402_zps0a59e734.jpg

Initial plans are to fix a few problems and get it looking spiffy clean! not bad for a reasonable £475 if i say so myself.

Future plans include:

• Lowered 40-60mm
  • nice sounding zorst setup
  • new wheels

I have more plans but they have yet to solidify in my mind, i will try to remember to keep this updated, but for now..

Thanks for Reading!

MK1 Clio 1.4
So today i set about cleaning the car up and a few other bits and bobs ;)

20140615_093910_zpsf6a21a97.jpg

I let my gf do the majority of the washing, waxing and drying, to which she did an excellent job:

20140615_112904_zps6335ac6e.jpg

20140615_112913_zpsb284b940.jpg

20140615_112930_zpsa229a5a9.jpg

20140615_112837_zpsd9ba00d0.jpg

20140615_112938_zps59a230d0.jpg

However
whilst she was working on that i was up to a few other things...

The door speakers received an upgrade:

20140615_112820_zpscb74957e.jpg

20140615_112805_zpsb7a52210.jpg

(This placement is only temporary, i plan to remove the entire door card soon so that i can modify it accordingly, the speakers will fit nicely in the door with the standard covers over them for much OEM look. such wow.)

Now for the serious bidness:

20140615_094820_zpsb54c2ec6.jpg

20140615_094815_zps97c59428.jpg

Managed to strip 15kg out of the car, hopefully this will help negate the additional weight of the speakers and soon to be fitted sub 'N amp. Removing the spare wheel was a doddle as well as the cage holding it up. plans are to leave them out for daily use but put them back in for any unfamiliar or long journeys.

On the way in the next week:
- I have ordered a new driver's side electric wing mirror to fit, either in the week or next weekend. will need to find a naples red back plastic that fits on the back of the mirror.
- Ordered a Renault Clio tax disc holder so i can rep the French surrender monkeys.
- Ordered some half decent wheel trims to keep me going until i can afford new wheels, also repping renault.

once again thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

BG DCI
Looks fresh this!!

I remember my friends one of these being a wicked car, comfiest front seats ive ever been in!!

MK1 Clio 1.4
QUICK UPDATE

Got a few little things done over the last few days.

- New tax disc holder (nothing special but is branded with "renault clio" which is nice)
- Wheel trims, now before people say "ewww" they are only temporary until i can afford a nice set of wheels or decide to refurbish and paint my steelies white (once again nothing special but they are renault branded so they dont just look like cheap halfords s**t)
- component speakers (BassFace SPL6C.2 - I can't recommend this setup enough for £50 i got excellent build quality and can't forget the 900w max power output!)
- Sub & amp (Sony Xplod 12" something and the amp i've forgotten (although its not the amp i ordered...funny story, well not so funny)

I will take some pics of the holder and trims, shan't bother with snapping the audio system, you've seen it all before.

Pics will hopefully be up tomorrow, if not soonish ;)

Once again thanks for reading!

MK1 Clio 1.4
Time for an update as i have been busy this week (i know it's been ages but i've been busy with starting a new job and my apprenticeship assignments)

In This week's episode (in order of appearance):

- Yellow headlight bulbs (Bonus surrender monkey points +1)
- New flat wiper blades (for a more lightweight look, plus my old ones smeared & streaked badly)
- New driver's side electric mirror to replace the old bodge up, manual, broken, spray painted one that was on the car when i bought it!
- A pair of aftermarket wind deflectors to reduce buffeting on fast roads (As i have my window down almost all year round and in most conditions, these work a treat)
- Last but not least..... De-cat Pipe! For under £30 this has been by far the best mod i've ever done, it has unleashed some throttle response and a spiffing good grunt (not to mention the cheeky little popping every now and again ;))

On that last note however the car does now produce an awfully strong amount of fumes, i take it this is just a mixture of non catalysed exhaust gases and the prehistoris SPI system overfuelling and causing the car to run rich (would explain the less than pleasing mpg for a 1.4 engine)

Few pics and a video below (headlight pics will be coming later when it is dark)

20140903_171855_zps060d96bd.jpg
(Damn that plastic needs more BLACK)

20140903_171859_zps092d0474.jpg
(In need of plastic trim cover)

20140903_171910_zps78665b4d.jpg
(The deflectors don't protrude too much, lovely)

20140903_171924_zpse320069b.jpg
(they do a pretty decent job tbh)

Within the next month or so i hope to get a few things checked off my list:

- Lower the car 60mm (i actually already have the springs and i am just awaiting uprated shocks, this should have been done months ago but i was severely messed around by a useless company, Motorspeed Ltd.
- Pipercross Induction kit, whilst you are all screaming HEATSOAK! i must explain that it cannot get any more than it did on the standard setup (which included an air feed coming off the exhaust manifold into the air box, whilst i've been told this is to prevent the "carburettor" from icing up i answered back with "It doesn't have a carburettor")
- Refurb my steelies and 'Dip them matte white
- Yellow film for front fogs OR remove front fogs
- Small boot build A.K.A a box the width of my boot and about 1/3 the depth to house my sub, 2x speakers and amplifier (They piss me off when they roll over and disconnect due to 'enthusiatic' driving, velcro tape is doing the job temporarily) i aim to also add no more weight to the car than i took off previously if at all possible.

Thanks for reading! Watch this space :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I love a mk1, but I can't say I agree with your weight saving, you've basically s**t yourself up if you get a flat, for the sake of 15 kg's in a 1.4? Madness!

Looks very nice and clean though, and I don't see much rust? Very rare!

Get some trim restorer on the panel where the wipers are, really very grey at the moment!