ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new daily. [Jap V8 Content]

Afternoon CS. Some of you may have been following my MX5 thread, and have read about what's gone on - recently my engine has started to burn a shed load of oil and I've been getting a little tired of doing long motorway journeys all cramped with my ears bleeding. So I decided to buy a new car for a while until I can be arsed fixing it.

I started out wanting a little Toyota Starlet, having had one previously to knock about in I knew they were reliable and silly cheap. However, with a little (really hardly any) persuasion from @sofaboy I began looking at some slightly more interesting options. I fancied a big 4x4 or a barge - it needed to be reliable, cheap to buy and comfortable on the motorway and since I don't exactly need to use it everyday fuel isn't an issue, although under £1 per litre helps!
Ideally I wanted a Toyota, not really sure why, but they just seem to be built like tanks - especially in the 90's. This got me onto Lexus and then, of course, LS400's.

So I went and looked at a couple of these, the first one being quite close to me in Leeds aaaaand it was a complete shed. Not to mention it was also gold. Not ideal.
The one I ended up buying was in London, around 240 miles away. It had been stood for about 2/3 years gathering dust, although it's been MOT'd yearly. With a bit of crap haggling (very awkward and strange people selling it I might add) I got it for £900 and got out of there as soon as possible.
It's a 1992 MK1 meaning it's got the retardedly over-specced engine - book figures are 250hp/260tq from a 4 litre V8, so it's barely working at all. It's done 147k, has electric leather everything and it all works other than the climate control screen - something which is very common on these. It's also got a blowy exhaust, but again they all do.

Kinda feel like a little bit of a dick driving it, but it's no worse than driving around in a stupid, noisy MX5 TBH!
Anyway, here's some pictures after a good wash. Enjoy!

24476739686_22f4f19435_c.jpg

23874758784_e97e3a4e15_c.jpg

24135182189_d6ccbc8827_c.jpg

24394650892_5c39a0abfb_c.jpg

24420562811_37eba2b0ac_c.jpg

23876136143_8dd409297d_c.jpg

24207382990_136288b19e_c.jpg

23874757604_2795c1899e_c.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Haha beast. Sadly all the young boys are starting to get them around my way.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Utter machine. Every time I start looking at sheds, I always consider these. Boring and ugly sure but they are V8's for pennies!

It's different for sure. Main reason for buying one over stuff like old jags, jeeps etc is that you see loads and loads on 2/300k miles. There's even one in America approaching 1,000,000 miles. So perhaps not as cool but they're built like tanks!
And I s**t you not, the noise inside the cabin is almost identical at 30mph and 80mph. It's unreal for a 24 year old car!

Oh and they're also non-interference engines up to 1994, so if the cambelt snaps it's just a case of re-setting the timing and slapping a new one on. Win!

Last edited:
  Monaco 172
My mate just picked one of theses up for pennies, removed both backboxes to free up the V8 a bit and it made literally no difference to the sound haha, probably due to the 400 catalytic converters.

Focus RS mk1
Think you need to remove all 4 boxes (lol!), then they sound pretty good.

I'd be happy with anything other than the blowy s**t I've got at the moment though. It's annoying because it was so quiet to start with... Must've had a shed load of exhaust paste that's just fallen off after after warming up properly.

Check the EGR pipe at the back of the engine they was very common for crackin and causing sh!tty blow, ive changed a few of these when i use to work at lexus few years back

It's a V8, it's awesome. I love it.

Where are those photos taken, I fancy a ride up.

Just outside of Diggle in Saddleworth. It's all nice round there tbh, wanting to move there in the next few years all being well. Rather pricey though...

24526065145_74c10ab415_c.jpg

Check the EGR pipe at the back of the engine they was very common for crackin and causing sh!tty blow, ive changed a few of these when i use to work at lexus few years back

Ah I've found where it is - between the left cat and the Y pipe. For whatever reason they decided to make the majority of the exhaust out of stainless steel and left the flanges mild steel so they just rot!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yes! BEAST! Always loved these, remember when they came out when my dad was in Saudi and all the Arabs got them. I'm over in Saddleworth on weekend too, will get some snaps!

A place called Tooting which is SW London if I'm not wrong? No idea, strange place!
I found it on Car and Classic, it wasn't advertised anywhere else which I thought was rather odd.. Didn't think anyone seriously looked on there to actually buy cars TBH.

Czech
Nice! Rediculous amount of car for the money.
Drove one years ago and struggled to hear if the engine was running at tickover.
That plate it's on is probably worth a few quid as well.

Yeah I thought it had cut out when I drove it to the petrol station after picking it up, it's really surreal how quiet/smooth they are!

Yeah did think that about the plate - it's been with the car for 10+ years though. Any idea what it reads? Can't make out a name or anything myself. Perhaps someone with an Audi A3 might like it...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Just get it valued and sold by one of those plate companies.
Will be someones initials and whatever you get for it is free money for new exhaust ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Subscribed. Ours was awesome, I especially loved the way the steering wheel moved out the way when you got in/out of it. Oh and the v8. The fact it was only £450 was the icing on the cake really. Miss it tbh, such an epic barge.

You complete hero. I need to see it!

Haha, knew you'd like this Chris. Right up your street!

Subscribed. Ours was awesome, I especially loved the way the steering wheel moved out the way when you got in/out of it. Oh and the v8. The fact it was only £450 was the icing on the cake really. Miss it tbh, such an epic barge.

I remember your Le Mans one - I went to look at one in the same colour, I'm just not brave enough to be seen in a Gold one! lol

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Had one years ago. Loved it and always think about getting another again just to run around in.