ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new Macbook pro

clio 172/Fabia vRS
My macbook pro was delivered today by UPS. Nobody was in so I'll have to wait for it to be redelivered or collect it from the depo if I can.
Question is, what would be good to get for it to start with? Obviously it's not a games machine. I've seen you can get some games from steam for mac, and chrome runs on mac. Any good free/essential software or peripherals I should go and get over the weekend. It's not for anything too productive, just a general replacement computer and my first foray into the world of mac.

LY 182
Quite a few threads with cool s**t. There's loads of stuff but you need to be a bit more specific for what you're after really.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest with you, if it is as you say your first time with a mac, the included software will keep you occupied for a good while!
I remember when I got my MBP, couldn't stop playing with it!

clio 172/Fabia vRS
One thing I will ask (being more specific) Is there anything I can use instead of itunes? I've always used a combination of dbpoweramp and winamp/vlc for my music and videos. I don't have an ipod, i use a couple of iriver mp3 players with various sound formats. I also have a Nikon d50, but I'm guessing that'll just work.
Will msn work or is there an alternative I can add my friends to on the mac? Presumably it'll just play dvd's out of the box? I have a fair few dvd's ripped to an external terrabyte hard drive. Some are encoded and some are just the raw vob files. Is there anything that would play these (like vlc does in windows)?

Thanks

LY 182
IM = Adium
Video / music = VLC
DVD's - Handbrake I think is good don't use anything of that nature personally

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Answers for you:

1. There are other music programs yes, but iTunes is by far the best/easiest.
2. Nikon will work fine yes :) memory card slot makes it all easier.
3. MSN is available for mac yes!
4. Yes DVD's will play fine.
5. VLC is also available for mac!

:)

clio 172/Fabia vRS
Sweet, thanks eikoorb.

That's all brilliant, glad vlc and msn are on mac too. I'll not be using itunes though, it has just annoyed me too many times :)
I have always ripped my own cd's into wmv, mp3 or ogg and then dragged and dropped them onto my mp3 player. I don't want anything "easier" than that. Being a bit of a control freak with my music means itunes just doesnt suit me.