ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new wheels have been ordered...........

GR7

Shiny red R32

I have just ordered my new wheels, and after giving it much thought, have decided on OZ Super Ts, with Toyos, 16" the same size as the ones on the car.

I am getting them from Demon Tweeks, as John Harris gave me what I thought was a good price, but you lot might not agree! The price delivered/balanced etc is £650 which I think is OK. I asked him about discounts for Cliosport members and he said it really is at their discretion, but he always gives people I know, a discount, and I am certain that you would all get it too!

GR7

Shiny red R32

PS, John was telling me that he has a customer in Scotland with a 172 which has been modified (mentioned throttle bodies?) and now has 220bhp. Sounds quick!

Seriously though - fair play it will look mint and handling etc wont suffer but please girlracer lower it just a little bit and then your car will have a real mean look!!!

when Ive saved up for some new wheels I agree with your choice of 16". Top of my list are the OZ superlgeras,

Performace comes 1st

GR7

Shiny red R32

PS. I forgot to say that as well as my wheels, I have also ordered smoke coloured side repeaters, so I hope they will look OK, must be tons better than orange ones!

yeah, smoked reapeaters will look as if there not there. And of all the postings (which must be well over 100) on what wheels you should have, and all the views and opinions....you stick with the 1st choice you had,......hahaha.
Well, at least we know what everybody likes.....posta pic, or send one to me to put up......i wanna see!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Ben, the guys at Demon Tweeks also contributed to my decision! They didnt like the Super Leggerras as much as the Super Turismos, and said that they were getting too common, judging by the huge numbers of them that they sell! What do you think about their price of £650 with Toyo Proxes T1-S fitted, and including delivery? Sounded OK to me!

BMW 320d Sport

£650 sounds ok, good move cos the SuperT are a quality wheel. Get it lowered as well though, theres nothing worse than a car on big alloys which has been left with factory suspension, it actually looks even higher off the ground than before!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Nick, the new wheels will be the same size as the standard 16" so I hope it will look OK, if not I have mechanic friends who will soon drop it for me!

Lionel Richie

sorry chaps, but a 16inch OZ super T weighs loads more than a 17inch SuperL. Jamie has got a MK2 172 with 17inch superts looks mint!!! but he says cos they weigh so much it knackers the performance. The only problem with 16inch super ls is that theyll look like 15s, i think mine look too small and theyre 17s, oh well itll have to go lower!!!!!!!!

Im getting my 17" SuperLs delivered today!! (Dont say their common already!! ()

And i just got some smoked indicators too! Good taste Girlracer! I too have a black clio (although earlier) and they look tops!

its a myth about the clio running sh*t on big alloys. its only if the car aint got the power to turn them anyway.
17s look a million times better too. im running 17 on std ride height and its fine. i found that people who lowered there find harsher rider and more skitish on the limit
ill be replacing with std springs and shock and just lowere the torsion bar to match the front.

lowered 16v on 17 do look the absolute nuts though

wongy

Silver Fabia vRS

Im thinking of going for either standard 16" alloys, 17" alloys with 40 profile tyres or 18" with 35 profile tyres but dont really want to start messing around with the suspension too much as I think it handles well now!

super ts are still very loght wheels, thats why some racing teams use them, they are stong too. Unlike the super Ls which will break under large loads. But compared to the super L, the super T is about twice the weight at 17" fitment.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Agree with you Ben, I think the Leggerras look slightly fragile compared to the Super Ts. You dont see Colin McRae with Leggerras! The way he bounces about, they look as though they would buckle as he lands back on the track!

Glad youve come to a descision GR.
Anyway, I want to change my side repeaters too, do you reckon I should get clear or smoked? Its a silver 172 - clear i think.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Tony, like you, I think that clear might be best, unless you can get a light smoked, which might blend in with the silver.

Lionel Richie

The Prodrive boys are always in the pub i work at every friday, and ive been told by them the Scooby WRC runs the SuperL cos the alloy is about the same weight, but much stronger than magnesium

Lionel Richie

By the way Ben, Scooby use about 7 different wheels anyway(gravel,mud,tarmac,ice etc), your probably right about the magnesium thingy, ill find out on Friday

GR7

Shiny red R32

Simon, I have sent this guy with the 172 with extra bhp an e-mail, inviting him to this website, but he hasnt replied.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Can someone please let me know why so many of you want me to get 17" and not 16" Super Ts?

BenR, why do you think that I should stick to my original 16" decision? Thanks guys.

Lionel Richie

16s just dont look quite right!! I bet i can guess what Bens going to say!!! If youve got the cash, get 17s

Skoda Fabia vRS

they will look smaller than the standard 172 rims

if you know the guys at demon tweeks why not get em to order em in and compare em in the garage bit

Girlracer - get 16"s. That was what the car was designed to take and IMHO I think that oversized wheels look silly. Especially if the car has also been lowered. I reckon that the old 172s 15"s looked a little small for it but the 16"s are just right on the MK2s.

Still, whatever floats yer boat.....

B.

GR7

Shiny red R32

BRUN, how would the guys at Demon Tweeks be able to compare them in the garage bit without my car being there? I am hardly going to drive down to Wrexham am I? Obviously one wheel would be 1" wider in diameter than the other!

Please explain BRUN! Thanks.

GR7

Shiny red R32

No6, I think like you do, that Renault chose the wheel size to suit the car, and having put 15" on the Mk1, they maybe thought after a while that they were slightly too small.

The V6 comes with 17" and they look just right because that car looks so chunky.

I am waiting for Ben Rs opinion as well, because he always seems to be so knowledgable. Thanks guys.

Lionel Richie

Ive seen a V6 with 19s on, and it looks even better than standard!!! Sod performance, a 172 is still stupidly rapid 17s look far far better than 16s, sorry, thats just my opinion. "Whatever floats your boat" is ture cos everyoe has different opinions on what looks good, as long as your happy wwith the way your car looks, sod what everyone else says!!!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

A friend with a yellow 106 GTi has just had his car lowered and has now got Super Leggeras, which he is going to show me tomorrow, as I havent seen them in the flesh yet. Maybe they would have suited my car (I might change my mind if I like them)!

Skoda Fabia vRS

GR i assumed you lived near there if you knew the guys well

i would make the trip if they were willing to do that for me

but im already set on 16s an mines a smaller car that cant get 17s on