ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Phs1 172

Phs1 172
Hi - I am new to the forum and new to owning this Renault Clio.

Story behind me obtaining this is my friend who has owned it for the last 5 years had to move abroad for his job so he was basically going to scrap it or px for a newer car and get peanuts for it.

I thought its far to good a car to scrap, plus I have always liked these cars, I nearly bought a ph2 in 2005 but bought a new fiesta ST instead. Ive never really owned anything other than a Ford since driving so I thought I would buy this, it was dirt cheap.

As you can see it was filthy and generally just a little neglected in the presentation department. So far all I have done is give it a good deep clean, both inside and out. It currently has non standard alloy wheels which I would like to do away with in favour of the standard 15" OZ rims. The car seems to be remarkably genuine from what I can see. It still has an unused spare with what I think, or looks like an original tyre, Mitchelin pilot?? is this correct? It has the original warning triangle, medical kit, fire extinguisher and jack kit.

The car had a short MOT when I bought it but it has recently passed with only minor advisories. I love the way the car drives, really does give good feedback in the way an older car with no PAS does.

I don't really have any plans as such for it, bar regular maintenance and obtaining the standard wheels. The bonnet and pumper also need painting as they are shagged, bar that its a very presentable car.

Heres a few pics:
DSC_7398_zps9ebce321.jpg

DSC_7399_zps517b1ff2.jpg

DSC_7401_zpscd9a36db.jpg

As you can see was in a fair old neglected state so i started to deep clean it :
DSC_7402_zps5eb93b0a.jpg

DSC_7404_zps3a3f0ec1.jpg

DSC_7405_zps5fdee604.jpg

DSC_7407_zps72b1d95a.jpg

DSC_7410_zpsf1f0378c.jpg

DSC_7416_zps6f5404a8.jpg

DSC_7418_zpsb11f000f.jpg

DSC_7422_zps97444853.jpg

DSC_7429_zps6ab58257.jpg

DSC_7428_zps6fc57d93.jpg

DSC_7430_zps6f092c91.jpg

DSC_7436_zps99503401.jpg

DSC_7434_zps876863fc.jpg

IMG-20140413-WA0005_zpsad16e12c.jpg

DSC_7521_zpsf6509de1.jpg

DSC_7524_zpsc6bfd862.jpg

DSC_7526_zpsab638172.jpg

DSC_7539_zps82669812.jpg

DSC_7542_zps27be06aa.jpg

DSC_7548_zpsf7073c75.jpg

DSC_7549_zps8f56c635.jpg

DSC_7550_zpsbc8e04e5.jpg

DSC_7551_zps4f4dc3a9.jpg

DSC_7553_zpsd6b2ef0b.jpg

DSC_7555_zpse0e58513.jpg

DSC_7563_zps18698231.jpg

DSC_7564_zps312c43df.jpg

Comments welcome,

Gareth.

Phs1 172
Ahh cool, I didn't know that. I will need to get some paint for the front so at least now it will be the right colour, lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I saw the first pic and cried at the alloys (very emotional I know)

Read on and though what a top bloody job, love the PH1 in OB and especially with silver OZs. Headlights look fab, need to do a similar thing myself.

Phs1 172
Wheels are finished now, I took each one off and scrubbed them for hours! I will get some better pics of them, they came up really well considering how bad they were.

Phs1 172
Massive difference you have made already, shows what a good bit of TLC can do. Any plans for the car ?

Only plans are to use it and enjoy it , keep it maintained and I would like a set of standard wheels for it. I paid so little for the car, so basically anything I do will cost me more than i bought it for. It will be a daily driver, we need 2 daily cars so this one and ST. The mk5 will be sold.

Itching to start using it now! but waiting till the mk5 fiesta is gone.

Gareth.

Phs1 172
Looks like my Fiesta is sold so the clio will be on the road towards the end of this week!;)

Been reading up a bit on here and general internet regarding changing the cambelt and despite all of the threads saying its the worse job in the world ever I still feel inclined to do it myself.

I understand I need to obtain the camshaft locking tool (gear box end) and the crank locking pin, there seems to be confusion as to weather or not the cam shaft pulley locking tool is required, some people seem to say 100% yes, others say not needed if the pulley's are not being disturbed?

I have also read and seen links to a PDF guide, but the threads I have been looking at are old and the links don't work anymore, could anyone possibly PM me over the guide? as that would be a decent help at this stage.

regards, Gareth.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
If this is your first go at doing a cambelt on a renault sport, i would advise against it without someone watching over your shoulder.

Will likely do more harm than good. i know everyone wants to learn start from somewhere, just wouldn't without some help first.

Phs1 172
If this is your first go at doing a cambelt on a renault sport, i would advise against it without someone watching over your shoulder.

Will likely do more harm than good. i know everyone wants to learn start from somewhere, just wouldn't without some help first.

Ive done cambelts before but not on a clio sport. Would like to read the guide first of all and then decide what to do. From what ive read the thing that makes it such a hard job seems to be the lack of space rather than the complexiity of the cambelt configuration.

Gareth.

Phs1 172
Just a general update to this, I will get some more pics up soon but I am now using the car and I love it. Says on the trip its returning circa 33mpg at the moment, which is steadily increasing. What can you expect mile wise to a full tank of fuel? I filled it to the brim last night so i am hoping to get 300 plus from a tank, does this sound about right?

I will shortly be ordering a service kit to change filters, plugs and oil etc.

I have also now obtained a manual for changing the cambelt so I will start buying the parts for this soon as well. Just a point on this, as Im sure most of you know even buying the parts (Gen Renault) to do the job is not cheap!

Gareth.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Worth paying to become a full member mate. We get discount from Renault Wolverhampton. The £12 pays for itself it savings plus you get access to the whole site. Well wort it IMO.

With regards to the car, it's cleaned up nicely compared to when you started.

Phs1 172
Small update.

Noticed recently the handling had gone slightly odd and that the rear drivers side tyre would rub when the car compressed at the bottom of a hill (car is not lowered). Turns out the rear shocks were totally shot.

This clio sport (below) came up for braking so today I went and got the wheels and rear shocks off of it. Ive been looking out for a set of standard wheels for a while now, so i couldn’t resist them at a decent price, they need new tyres though so i wont be fitting them just yet.

I have put the fresh shocks onto today and the handling is great again, but its sitting like a monster truck at the rear now, the old ones were really shagged so it was sitting lower with the knackered ones on. Think I may have to lower it just a touch, maybe.

Oh does anyone know the silver phs 1 being broken? It had cliosport windows decals and tax disc holder, so its been on here at some point in its life. I asked why its being broken and it seems its just because it failed the mot on trivial stuff like emissions, hand brake etc – seems such a shame!

Few pics:

DSC_7692_zpsb6a0036c.jpg

DSC_7693_zpsa3d8a007.jpg

DSC_7694_zpscfa8c916.jpg

DSC_7695_zpsa1de4fbe.jpg

DSC_7696_zpsfe808a05.jpg

DSC_7697_zps77b466d0.jpg

Gareth.