ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My poor arms..

Foolowed the DIY guide and changed my oil today from magnatec that was put in at the 12000 mile service 7 months ago and with Mobil 1 w0-40. Perhaps its psychological, but it does seem to idle more quietly and generally run smoother, but either way Im glad I did it.

Everything was quick and easy except removing that bl00dy oil filter, F**k me it took me around 1 hour and painfully scraped arms and knuckles to get that off!! is there anything I can use to get this thing off easily in the future?

I did use a chain type oil filter wrench, but there isnt much space for leaverage in the front of the 172. Any one have any ideas what Renault garagea use?

I did think about using a screw driver but I thougt putting holes in it would leak the residue oil everywhere. As it turns out, as soon as the filter comes off, it spews the oil anyways!!!

Clio 1.6 16V

Secret I stumbled on after scraped and painfull arms was to detatch the metal pipe that is screwed into the rad fan (has flex hoses either side of it) then you can get your arm right in there (oh err!) and twist off that filter. BTW the 1.6 is in the same ball park ...... if not worse!!!:( Oh and yes ... I use Mobil 1 0W40 in all my cars .... tops! Disconcerting at the time cos its like pouring dirty beer slops into your engine!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS

use a filter STRAP, the chains aint much good

nice to see you got Mobil 1 in there now rather than Magnatec

2012 WRX Waggon

screwdrivers a crude but effective method......but remember the oil will pi$$ out the hole u just created, and if ur as lucky as me end up in ur mouth eyes and ears!!!

But you look like a real mechanic afterwards LOL.

Audi S3

lol yea i always make a right mess when i change my oil! both with the oil gettin everywhere and of my nuckles and arms!