ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my race battery struggling in this weather...

due to the coldness i'm having to start the meg everyday, even then she whirs twice and then starts up...

now i have the Oddessy25 fitted and its cold as hell at the mo, does this make the battery lose its charge alot quicker so to speak? (i know burp,kevo and a good few others run them so just wondering on their experiences...)

i have heard about trickle chargers and seen as the megs not getting used now and wont for most of jan i imagine, is it worth investing in one?

the other thing is that it could be my starter motor being a b**ch? or my alternator?

but wouldnt this affect every startup? if i run her for five then start her again she seems fine... and as far as i can remember she was fine in the milder days of old (its been cold for so long ive forgotten)

excuse my ignorance but batteries/alternator/electrical are my achilles heel so to speak...

thanks ya'll

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
Sorry to invade, but what's a race battery? And what advantages to do you get over standard?

Cheers fella

172 Race Car
Worth getting an optimiser if your not using the car regular. They can be left dissconected and not need charging but only if stored above a certain temperature

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Take it out and use a normal battery, put the race one in when you need it.

Worth getting an optimiser if your not using the car regular. They can be left dissconected and not need charging but only if stored above a certain temperature

yeh taking it out of the car might have to be the next step as she's needing daily attention and i cant take her out and drive her :(

i'd put the old battery in but it is no more, when the old one was on its way out i simply changed, and dont currently have access to CS funds to splash on another.

burp you have any links to the aforementioned chargers? or kits that optimise the battery? again sorry as its a real weak spot for me

also im thinking of wrapping the battery, or will the minimal change in temp not be worth it?

172 Race Car
Its like a smart charger. Its doesnt charge the battery constantly but monitors the charge level and mintains it at a fully charged state. As long as the mains power isnt interupted it can be left for years and the battery will be fine

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
my only issue would be a small pikey wire out of the back door to the car lol, spose i could tape the bugger down

Can't you take the battery out and leave it on charge in the garage?

Jay, if they go flat, can they be jump started like a normal car or with a booster pack?

(There's no destructions in my box and I can't find anything on line)

u gettin one ben?

i will be next week but until then i'm gonna have to keep starting her up.

if i get one come and see if its suitable, if u get one, i'll come to you innnnit

cole, i could yeh, and tbh i suppose i will, its just usually (not when its snow covered) i might just wanna jump in and go for a boost, the battery being in the garage would be a ballache, i know kevo has had his in for near on a year with no issues, his is a redtop, not that it matters i imagine

AFAIK they cant be jumped like normal ones either, but i may be (as usual) wrong

172 Race Car
Burp, any links to a suitable optimiser for the Odysseys?

For everyone's info, an optimiser like this would do the job nicely

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...ampid=5337597098&icep_uq=ctek+battery+charger

Can't you take the battery out and leave it on charge in the garage?

Jay, if they go flat, can they be jump started like a normal car or with a booster pack?

(There's no destructions in my box and I can't find anything on line)
Best get some charge into it first mate, you can use jump leads to do it but leave them on the car for a good 30mins before trying to start it, that way you willgat a decent amount of charge in before.

To look after it properly tho an optimiser is the best way

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok cool.

I probably won't need to as I take the battery out completely while its going to sit there for a long time. Just handy to know.

Vee 6
Race batts don't have a high cold cranking output (CCA) In this weather i think most will be toiling to deliver the amps needed.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
1. I dont have RAC cover at the mo
2. I aint changing no f-in starter motor or alternator ;)

Fair enough! I've bought one of those optomisers Burp linked now, not that I've got round to sorting fitting the battery mind. But at least it will be charged by the time I pull my finger out!

1. I dont have RAC cover at the mo
2. I aint changing no f-in starter motor or alternator ;)

Fair enough! I've bought one of those optomisers Burp linked now, not that I've got round to sorting fitting the battery mind. But at least it will be charged by the time I pull my finger out!

oh so ur still alive are you parker? ;)

aye im only messing gaz, ill be getting that charger asap, the CCA is hugely different, no wonder the megs struggling in the -425755 degrees temps

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I'd think about buyin a standard battery for this weather mate
they only take a few minutes to change