ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My road to racing (E30 content)

E30 318iS x2
A while back on here, I posted a thread about a super charger build that I was doing on my E30 318iS. I got this far with it:

IMG_8121Large.jpg

But I needed to spend a pretty penny more on it to get it running. After much thought and really wondering what racing it could be used for running FI I decided in the end to remove all the parts I had been carefuly planning, making and building and put it up for sale. With the funds from the sale of the 'kit' I started a rebuild programme....

Some of the parts were fitted previously so I won't go into much detail with them.

The first thing I did was make a panel for my extinguisher pull cable and interior battery cut off switch to sit between the dash and the tunnel. Then a blanking panel for the radio slot with a 12v socket and electric fan switch:

IMG_0014Large.jpg

And a bracket to hold the external extinguisher pull and battery pull cables:

IMG_0009Large.jpg

I previously had a Halfords battery in the boot. I came accross a well priced Odyssey 25 battery so I moved the cables and mounted it on the passenger side. I mounted it far enough back so I can still fit a passenger seat in.

IMG_8418Large.jpg

To help getting in and out I bought a quick release steering boss off eBay. There is some play in it so I will be sending it back in due course for a replacement!

IMG_8429Large.jpg

Next up was some weight saving in the shape of a glass fibre boot lid and bonnet. Will. helped me with vinyl wrapping them and I then fixed them down with Aero catches. A good ~20kg saved there!

IMG_8507Large.jpg

IMG_8456Large.jpg

To help further with weight loss, and to give the Wilwood 4pots (with 280mm Audi discs) I have fitted some room, I bought some TD1.2's and fitted them with a set of Dunlop 02G's I had sitting in the workshop. They're ET15 which will also give more clearance in for the coilovers. People have problems with standard offset wheels because of where the adjuster colar sits on most coil over kits, it causes it to rub on the tyre!

IMG_8491Large.jpg

IMG_8520Large.jpg

I then turned my attention to removing the engine as it had a head gasket problem, along with the front suspension and subframe assembly:

IMG_8568Large.jpg

IMG_8573Large.jpg

I gave the sub frame, ARB and wishbones a good clean and a few coats of black paint. Once they were done, I rebuilt the subframe with new Powerflex bushes, drop links and fitted an E46 3 turn LTL steering rack:

IMG_8649Large.jpg

IMG_0153Large.jpg

While I was there tarted up the servo and brake master cylinder:

IMG_8547Large.jpg

Aaaand got some nice shiney poly and aluminium engine mounts for an absolute steel from the USA:

IMG_0198Large.jpg

Then on to the rear to refresh the rear subframe and brake lines:

IMG_0159Large.jpg

IMG_0163Large.jpg

IMG_0182Large.jpg

More hammerite and Powerflex purpleness:

IMG_0150Large.jpg

Rebuilt with my 4.1 LSD:

IMG_0156Large.jpg

And back on again:

IMG_0172Large.jpg

I've got a set of rear calipers from a touring which are maginaly bigger to rebuild and fit.

Lastly I bought a new TRS harness and a seat cross member kit to weld in to mount my Suzuka pro a bit more betterer. Need to get some one in to weld them as I don't possess the skillz.

IMG_8674Large.jpg

IMG_8670Large.jpg

IMG_0165Large.jpg

Once they're done I'll be ready to get some testing in once I decide what I'm doing engine wise! I also have a set of AST Sportline II's on order but I've been waiting for them since Christmas :dapprove: Been a problem in Holland with the powder coating, should be here soon though!

On the getting race ready front. I did my ARDS at Combe a few weeks ago now and got my lisence through really quick from the MSA:

0ffc7e64.jpg

And I got all my kit together as well the other day. The team I work for (Generation AMR) are a Sparco dealer and have an epic offer on at the moment on the top spec 3 layer X-light suits so I picked up one of them with a pair of the X-light top spec gloves and an entry pair of boots. The helmet I got else where and is a Bell RS3 pro (kevlar shell, noticably lighter than the normal ones too). Just need to club some cash together for some fireproof under wear and thats that!

f09c3153.jpg

Thats me broke now!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cracking work! And I am so jealous of the workshop you have available... So jealous it makes me hurt inside. :(

A friend of a friend is doing the E30 series, MAtt Parkes? Doing quite well so I gather.

Good luck anyway, the car looks bloody brilliant. :)

Awesome, what power do you expect to see from the SC kit onto the 1.8is?

Does any other work need doing to the engine or is the SC kit pretty much a 'bolt on' item and you're ready to go after a map?

Megane 225 F1
Looks s**t x

Not bad vinyl wrapping skills for my first proper attempt :)

FYI I want your seat.

E30 318iS x2
And I'd like to introduce my co-driver....when he gets his arse in gear ;)

I have been looking at the CSCC championships Tony, they seem very good value! Was also looking at the Toyo Tyres Racing Saloons as they'll accept the car with spec I'm running (LSD, big brakes, 16v engine).

Awesome, what power do you expect to see from the SC kit onto the 1.8is?

Does any other work need doing to the engine or is the SC kit pretty much a 'bolt on' item and you're ready to go after a map?

I personaly didn't get that far but a friend of mine who built a slightly uprated kit with a bigger Rotrex and a rebuilt low comp engine saw 285bhp from his. The M42 engine running an Eaton M45 Mini super charger gets a touch over 200bhp, so it should easily do that. The M42 have forged crank and rods from standard so they're a good base, they are fairly high on the compression ratio side of things though.

There was a reasonable amount of fabrication and engineering what with moving components and making special bits but in essence once those bits are drawn, it's pretty 'bolt on'. More info can be found here www.visionracingdevelopments.co.uk/project-bmw.php

Looks s**t x

Not bad vinyl wrapping skills for my first proper attempt :)

FYI I want your seat.

So's your face!

Got a shiney Monaco pro to go in the passenger side ;)

Thanks for the comments people!

Some external shots:

IMG_8530Large.jpg

IMG_8533Large.jpg

I personaly didn't get that far but a friend of mine who built a slightly uprated kit with a bigger Rotrex and a rebuilt low comp engine saw 285bhp from his. The M42 engine running an Eaton M45 Mini super charger gets a touch over 200bhp, so it should easily do that. The M42 have forged crank and rods from standard so they're a good base, they are fairly high on the compression ratio side of things though.

There was a reasonable amount of fabrication and engineering what with moving components and making special bits but in essence once those bits are drawn, it's pretty 'bolt on'. More info can be found here www.visionracingdevelopments.co.uk/project-bmw.php

Cheers, Going to have a look now. I properly love e30's and will eventually get one to play with. Forced Induction was always a pipe dream with one though as its a 20+ year old car and building one might be a little out of my depth.

53 Clio's & counting
And I'd like to introduce my co-driver....when he gets his arse in gear ;)

:eek: Will be sorted asap, promise , will explain in private x

On a side note, I'm very exited to be racing with Rich - The car is coming along fantastic and the level of work he has put in so far is just brilliant! Im very happy to get involved and we fitted the rear diff back on the car a few weeks ago - looking forward to the next bit ;) Plus Rich is a great bloke and very trusting to let me out in his pride and joy!

Cheers, Going to have a look now. I properly love e30's and will eventually get one to play with. Forced Induction was always a pipe dream with one though as its a 20+ year old car and building one might be a little out of my depth.

A mate of mine has a internally standard E36 318is with an eaton bolted on, and is running circa 185bhp and goes really well :)

Im lost, so its NOT charged anymore?

Correct Jay, Rich had made all brackets, and sorted most of the pipework, but with the remaining cost with management included, that money (Plus the money from selling all the charged associated bits) will and are going on more bits the car needs to be race ready - the suspension for one which is very nice :)

172 Race Car
Ah ok. That helps with the racing you'd be eligable for. As Tony said Deutchse Marques(sp) would be ideal. Class B i think

Turbos.
Surely a supercharged one would not be eligible for the two big E30 championships anyway? I'd certainly be building it to the regs of one of those rather than building what you want to compete in a crappy series of a handful of cars...

I can't remember what series was supporting us at Silverstone last year but it looked like literally a billion cars.

53 Clio's & counting
Ah ok. That helps with the racing you'd be eligable for. As Tony said Deutchse Marques(sp) would be ideal. Class B i think

It does look a good shout Jay, looks a close series :)

Surely a supercharged one would not be eligible for the two big E30 championships anyway? I'd certainly be building it to the regs of one of those rather than building what you want to compete in a crappy series of a handful of cars...

I can't remember what series was supporting us at Silverstone last year but it looked like literally a billion cars.

Rich wasn't planning on racing the car to start with Rob,, it was a fast road/track car until fairly recently, when he decided he wanted to go racing - that is when the supercharger bits were sold, as there was not many championships that was elegable for the car being supercharged :)

E30 318iS x2
After much thought and really wondering what racing it could be used for running FI I decided in the end to remove all the parts I had been carefuly planning, making and building and put it up for sale. With the funds from the sale of the 'kit' I started a rebuild programme....

I guess I should have added a bit more information about what I was wanting to race it in. But I did say I'd shifted it.

I wasn't planning on racing it when I was doing the super charger stuff, it was supposed to be a something different track car. But I decided after a few years of working on and running other peoples race cars, I wanted to give it a go myself :cheers: hence selling it and the U-turn. Plus Appleby wouldn't let me drive the AMV8 (hope he reads this ;) )

PBMW (which I can't do) and TTRS always have pretty full grids :)

Thanks Russ for filling in as my PA :rasp:

Thats exactly what I said 4 years ago... best way to learn is to do it yourself and go in at the deep end, glad I did.

Saw your thread on the Zone earlier Rich, good update!

182cup & 172 racecar

Not everybody can afford Britcar Rob

E30 318iS x2
I've just noticed you're in Banbury Tony. I move into a house share in Banbury as i've got a job in Greatworth. Be good to meet up and see your car if it's lurking around the area! :race:

Thats exactly what I said 4 years ago... best way to learn is to do it yourself and go in at the deep end, glad I did.

Saw your thread on the Zone earlier Rich, good update!

Gotta say it's exactly what I did too, I didn't get as far as completing it but I owe so much to the car in terms of what I've learnt from doing it.

Cheers, good to see your rebuild is coming along well too! I haven't touched or bearly seen my car for over a month, had quite a bit of momentum in the first 3 months of this year. It's just stalled with the lack of suspension-ness to put it back on its wheels.

182cup & 172 racecar
2 miles up the road from me then.

There is a mate of mine on the same ind est, he does historic rebuilds etc, got some fantastic cars in there.

E30 318iS x2
Frequently see some very tastey and extremely expensive looking bits of kit being driven down the drive and the blasted down the road :cool:

Drop me a PM if you're about be good to meet up.

E30 318iS x2
Oh i've just realised you're the guy who was with James' team then?

Aye! I came up to Silverstone on Friday evening on my way home. Poked my head in to your 'Green Motorsport' garage but didn't see ya.

Little bit of progress. I got my weld in seat frames sorted. I've still got to make some fillets to box in the plates welded to the sill but once there in I'll get it all painted. The material on the tunnel is a tad thin and the chap who welded the spreader plates in did have a few problems but it's in and I'm happy with it.

IMG_0153Large-1.jpg

Next up is getting some harness eye spreader plates for the lap and crotch straps welded in, then look at mounting for the shoulder straps.

E30 318iS x2
As Russ said, it does have one and it will do the job; however I'm going to get saving up for a safety devices bolt in one with the aim to getting and fitting it this winter. They do a good 6 point job which is probably what I'll get. They also make a rather nice one which has bars going to the front and rear strut mounts.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Great write up, can't wait to see some pics of it in action.

Casandra had one of these on Only fools and horses.