ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My road to racing (E30 content)

E30 318iS x2
Great write up, can't wait to see some pics of it in action.

Much love. I have a few photo's from the track days I've done but none are particularly amazing. This is the best one:

IMG_0825Large.jpg

Taken by a freind of mine (www.will-belcher.co.uk) in November 2010 in the driving snow. Was an awesome day to learn some car control skills. Here is a video from the day, my car features a few times with a few nice interior shots too:

Last edited by a moderator:
  E30 318iS x2
Was done by a freind of mine who used to look after all of Combes media stuff but how covers the Kyouto drift.

A day I never thought would come, has infact happened. The FedEx man knocked at my door with a box which contained my new coil overs! I've been waiting a total of 20 weeks for these to arrive. Sadly the adjuster plates for the front camber adjustable top mounts have a few big scuffs and knocks on them; quite frankly they look used and not what should be expected from a kit which retails at over £2k! So they are going back for replacements. The fronts also came with provisions to link the ARB directly to the damper housing, something I will look to connect up in future.

I've fitted the rears up and also did a test fit of one of the front dampers before removing to get the adjustment plates sent off.
Here they are:

IMG_0196Large.jpg

IMG_0205Large.jpg

IMG_0200Large.jpg

IMG_0206Large.jpg

IMG_0210Large.jpg

I need to get the fronts built up with the bearings, calipers and discs ready to fit properly.

I also have a 6point Safety Devices roll cage in the pipe line as well :)

Was done by a Friend of mine who used to look after all of Combes media stuff but how covers the Kyouto drift.

Sadly the adjuster plates for the front camber adjustable top mounts have a few big scuffs and knocks on them; quite frankly they look used and not what should be expected from a kit which retails at over £2k! So they are going back for replacements.

Seen good videos of that too.

Nice coilovers, shame about the damage something that seems to happen a lot with motorsports parts.
:dapprove:

53 Clio's & counting
Finally! (Where was my text?! lol)

They have been a while coming, at least once thenew top mounts turn up we can get the car rolling again!

E30 318iS x2
I built up the front legs today with the wheel bearings, brake calipers and discs and got the car back in the ground again to take the old cage out and test fit a new one I've got. I have run into a problem with the TD wheels mounting onto the hubs. The 'bell' of the G60 discs I'm running are 2mm thinner therefore the larger part of the hub which the discs sit on is sitting in the open. With the old BBS wheels this wasn't a problem as they have quite a chamfer on them and as a result missed the 'lip'which has been created. The TD 1.2 wheels do not have such a large chamfer so the wheel isn't sitting far enough back and isn't touching the disc. Net result, the disc moves with the wheel bolted up so:
Option 1: get the wheels machined
Option 2: get some spacers machined to sit behind the disc (I seem to remember a write up Geoff_bob did that indicated that this was the correct way, as the offset of the disc is also slightly different to that of the E30 and should correct both problems).
I think I'll be going for option 2 as being the simplest :)

As previously mentioned I removed the roll cage that was fitted and it was collected today by the buyer, nice and easy! It is being replaced with a Safety Devices B9 which I test fitted today with help from my PA, Russ :cheers:. Next task is to get some boxes measured and made up for the B-pillar hoop and have the captive nut plates welded into the front. Here's some pics of the dry fit any way:

IMG_8571Large.jpg

IMG_8573Large-1.jpg

Also got some harnese eye bolt spreader plates to have welded to the floor too. Looking forward to it all being fitted and testing the seat with the 6 point harness.

Love it. Saw on Facebook you were doing your ards, didn't realise you were moving to Banbury though, only down the road from me now!

53 Clio's & counting
Cage was a laugh lol, never hit my head so much in my life - FYI, my 6 ft 4 frame is NOT supposed to fit into an E30 at the angles iv been at today!

Oh, and Subway FTW!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Well if you ever need a hand with any donkey work give me a shout as I live literally 5mins away!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. Saw on Facebook you were doing your ards, didn't realise you were moving to Banbury though, only down the road from me now!

It's in Wiltshire in Melksham. Tis a pain because it means I'm rather limited with when I can work on it but it's a nice place where it is.

must be a mass exodus of the area then...lol
i have literally moved today and am now in Milton Keynes,

i feel your pain with working on the car, the same problem i am having/about to have... hope all goes well mate

E30 318iS x2
Well if you ever need a hand with any donkey work give me a shout as I live literally 5mins away!

I'll bear that in mind cheers mate. Bulk of the heavy stuff is done now the engine is in mind (pics below).

must be a mass exodus of the area then...lol
i have literally moved today and am now in Milton Keynes,

i feel your pain with working on the car, the same problem i am having/about to have... hope all goes well mate

I'm always darting about with work although now I'm well and truely in 'motorsport alley' I expect I'll be staying round here.

To the car:

So it’s been a while since I’ve been able to do anything to the car. I’ve been planning to get home every weekend for the last 2 months but work offers kept coming up so plans kept getting pushed back.

I bought an M42 (1.8 16v, the same as what was in there before) race engine that was used in TTRS. It’s had quite a bit of work done to it and I plan to do a couple more bits and then get it live mapped and see what extra can be had out of it. When I removed the coils from the spark plugs I was a tad horrified to find that the 1 and 2 plug ‘galleries’ where full of oil. After looking at it is looks as if the cam cover seals may have leaked, this must be the only explanation so I also used the best set of seals I had on the self to hopefully put a stop to that happening again. I split the gearbox, flywheel and clutch from the old engine and fitted it all up to the new one. I also pressure washed off the gearbox and I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it came up.

Once the engine was I fitted my electric fan to my E36 328i radiator and got that in there:

IMG_8698Large.jpg

I have about 3 engines worth of cam covers, upper and lower inlet manifolds, so I cherry picked the best set and got them fitted on. I have also used my COP plate which bolts straight through the cam cover so will support the coils nicely (the threads in the head on my old engine were fubar so it’s nice to be able to properly bolt them down). After that I connected up the Z3 1.9 gear linkage set up which I had fitted before and fitted the alternator and PAS pump.

IMG_8700Large.jpg

Couple of jobs to do now:
• I've got a standard airbox and K&N panel filter to fit. (It was rolling roaded with this set up and it has been proven with many other cars its genuinely the best set up for this engine)
• Order some hoses for the water system
• Crimp terminals onto the alternator wires
• Route and fit the PAS pipes

I have had some fun with the E46 steering rack and the M42 exhaust manifold. I did think to begin with I was safe but when the manifold was bolted up tight it caused issues with the linkage. I have now moved the rack onto the forward holes which isn’t ideal but it’s the only way to give the two some breathing space.
I have left the fuel lines disconnected as I will be fitting a dry brake for sampling (as required by the MSA) and also for draining the tank so the fuel level can be kept accurate. I need to get some lengths of pipe and some adaptors and find the best place for it to be fitted.

IMG_8714Large.jpg

Lastly, I bought a caliper recon kit and some high temp paint from the local parts place and rebuilt my touring rear calipers. The paint turned out to be more matt grey than black but I thought: 1. They look far better than when rusty and 2. A blind man would like to see it. I am going to move my brake bias valve forward so I won’t be bleeding the brakes just yet.

IMG_8709Large.jpg

Next on the list of ‘fun’ involves:
• Fuel tank assembled and fitted
• Engine complete and running
• Roll cage feet mounted in place ready to be welded
• Lots of little jobs!

E30 318iS x2
Lovely.

Subscribed to this :)

Thank you :)

2nd weekend off in a row! :eek:

I’ve got a busy few weeks ahead and I have organised getting an exhaust system made while I’m away. I got to work on getting the fuel tank built and fitted along with the prop shaft. It’s nice to now have the running gear complete again.

The tank ready to go in:

IMG_8720Large.jpg

After painting and rebuilding the rear calipers I also sprayed the carriers and got them bolted on. I fitted them with the old EBC Green pads which have been in the car since I’ve had it. I will be looking to changed them at some point.

IMG_8726Large.jpg

IMG_8730Large.jpg

Got my harness eyes mounted as well. I spent a bit of time with the seat in fafing about trying to find the best places for them. The inner tunnel one was the most annoying one to get right but the angles look good and in keeping with the diagrams in the blue book.

IMG_8737Large.jpg

Other than that I got lots of little jobs such as wiring on the engine and giving the car a bit of a clean and tidy for its trip to Infinity Exhausts (www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk) next week.

:cheers:

E30 318iS x2
My airbox arrived the other day and so did my K&N panel filter. The airbox was a bit dirty (as it would be having been sat on a road car for 20+ years) so I gave it a wash in our parts cleaner at work; it fires the cleaning stuff out at like 300psi, that soon moved the crap and they came up really nice :D . Will get them on next time I'm home:

IMG_8740Large.jpg

My exhaust is done, Infinity have sent me some pictures as I won't be able to see it in the 'metal' for a few weeks. Dead chuffed with it looks like they've done a great job. I just need to paint the valence so it looks better.

AD4667EE-F8D0-4D63-998A-017B82CFC3AD-456-0000004DE7A491F2-1.jpg

F30AEF8B-5BEF-459B-877C-BD44F10BB2B7-456-0000004E1AEE7D35.jpg

AA617377-3971-48CA-BED2-FBC122F89C2E-456-0000004E06BB0B27.jpg

Best get it fired up now 8)

E30 318iS x2
Christmas and New Year has provided me with some time at home and time at home means time on the car. A friend of mine whose race car I ran owns an engineering company so I frequently call on him to knock bits up for me:

IMG_8745Large.jpg

I've been focusing on the brakes mainly to try and get them wrapped up. Firstly I got to fitted my brake disc spacers. The Audi G60 discs had a slightly different offset to the E30 ones and the disc had been running offset in the caliper like so:

IMG_8749Large.jpg

Some 3mm spacers as per Geoff_bob's drawings have cured this issue and also another issue of the new wheels not clamping the disc properly.

IMG_8750Large.jpg

IMG_8753Large.jpg

Only problem I found with the spacers is that the drawing has the retaining screw hole in the wrong place for the E30 hub and therefore will need re-drilling to allow the use of one. The hole needs to be 13mm from the edge not 10mm.

I also fitted up some spacers to my steering column to replace my temporary washers. I've dropped the column by 10mm which makes a big difference at the steering wheel. I have some 15mm ones as well to play with.

IMG_8760Large.jpg

Next up on the job list was moving the brake bias valve. It was previously here (lower right):

IMG_7367Large.jpg

The problem was I couldn't reach it with my harness done up so I decided to move it forward. It now sits next to the gear stick and can be adjusted from the seat. Simple enough job, just needed to make the ‘front’ pipe shorter then make up a new longer ‘rear’ pipe:

IMG_8768Large.jpg

IMG_8765Large.jpg

I was planning to bleed the brakes but I've decided to make up some swaged braided lines at work to replace the Earls lines which have olive style fittings. I also want to see if the machine shop can find time to squeeze in making up some nice new billet caliper carriers. The ones that came with the kit are made from low spec aluminium and spacers which is just a bit rubbish. I'll also get some zinc coated bolts with the correct shoulder too.

I'm still waiting on them to machine my pads down too so I haven't fitted my new PFB001 front pads.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Amazing car, not noticed this thread before.

Very cool, and like Daniel said, workshop looks cool too!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Looking good. Love these, my friends all had these years ago. One friend is building one at the mo

E30 318iS x2
Just seen this thread, Nice work! E30's are somthing special!

Loving the workshop! Ideal!

Cheers! Sadly I don't have the workshop now and the car is back in my dark garage!

Thought I might update this if any one is interested :sleepy:

This was my sunroof:

A3929009-B71F-4DAB-9E82-700DCCC78C56-374-0000002937F6C665_zps173e1908.jpg

All stripped out...

IMG_8799-resized_zpsc3243c13.jpg

Ready for this:

DSC00026-resized_zpsf649475b.jpg

Et voila:

IMG_9064x1000_zpsaea3b821.jpg

IMG_9081x1000_zps6c311d8e.jpg

Some paint and the dash refitted:

IMG_9360x1000_zps7faa7bfd.jpg

Along with some super fast carbon door cards for added BS factor:

IMG_9353x1000_zpsc3c68629.jpg

Light weight heater:

IMG_9381x600_zps6a677c22.jpg

Sunroof skin tack welded back in:

IMG_9420x1000_zpsbac58144.jpg

IMG_9422x100_zpsab273a35.jpg

Incase it goes a bit smelly:

IMG_9425x600_zps25833939.jpg

Hard coated polycarbonate windows fitted to the rear (fronts are going in soon):

IMG_9410x600_zpse8876f4c.jpg

Think that sums it up for the time being to be honest!

Got my new engine coming this week as well as a whole raft of finishing bits and bobs to do so will hopefully have some more soon!

Any questions or comments :cheers:

Looks awesome.. Did you buy that front subframe off Ebay btw? Sold my modified one and im sure it went somewhere around your area.

E30 318iS x2
Nah I built one up. I am going to do another one with extra ARB and engine mount reinforcement bits on and have it powder coated at some point.

Nah I built one up. I am going to do another one with extra ARB and engine mount reinforcement bits on and have it powder coated at some point.

Thats what I did.. bought the kit from Turner motorsport.. Would be very easy to make your own tho with some 3-4mm plate.

E30 318iS x2
Had a mega day in the garage today, having a couple of weeks to hoard and plan has been handy! Where to begin!?

Fitted my Corsa/E30 linkage for my E46 rack. Also changed the nuts on the rack bolts to proper K nuts:

IMG_9446x600_zps2c020316.jpg

My fabricator mate poped over again and welded my turret reinforcement places in. Once that was done I got to painting:

IMG_9440x600_zps497bc335.jpg

IMG_9438x600_zps9b1cfa4f.jpg

Dad was feeling in a helpful/bored mood so he wandered outside and decided he wanted to seal the sunroof up so I left him to it :D

IMG_9465x600_zpsaa611f10.jpg

Also finally got round to making my carbon facia for the dash centre console:

IMG_9471x600_zps5a252fdb.jpg

Bought myself some proper battery cable cutters and crimpers and sorted my battery cables out with anderson plug. Then did the bits under the dash too:

IMG_9463x600_zps19622f5b.jpg

IMG_9473x600_zps40752d24.jpg

Hello cheeky winkeye

IMG_9447x600_zps599be4e3.jpg

Didn't hang about getting them fitted:

IMG_9451x600_zps05a7d0a2.jpg

IMG_9457x600_zpsbe6bd64f.jpg

Not bad for a days work IMO :D :D

Apparently it's Christmas tomorrow and I have to go in the house and be with family n stuff??? Wana get back out there now and get the other bits done :p