ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Sexy New 172 Cup

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
So, some of you will remember my thread asking if I should trade in my 1.4 Dynamique towards a Cup after a brainfart down at the dealers looking for a car for a friend. Well ladies and gents, without even test driving it, or driving a clio sport AT ALL, I took the plunge and bought it, and OH MY GOD. A little picture first before my little review;

[IMGO]http://www.sonsofangels.com/SOA/DSC00390.JPG[/IMGO]

TOTAL SEX ON WHEELS. A picture cannot justify how god the car looks in person, a completely different look to the regular clio's in a very subtle way.

So I pick up the keys from the dealer, and sit in a sport for the first time (not even been a passenger!) and head right for the motorway. The acceleration in this thing is unreal, I can't believe I hammered my poor little 1.4! This does it with ease, making overtaking a walk in the park. The beautiful sports tone that comes from the standard box is candy to the ears, a higher gear a little too soon and you get a deep, but at the same time playful, resonating note. The interior, although a little bare-bones, mark the start of a beautiful modding partnership. With a couple of bucket seats, the interior will look great. Also, fuel consumtion is not that bad either, and I now find myself driving that bit slower as I don't feel like I need to prove anything with this car.

Some bad points. No aircon, could really have done with that when sitting at red lights. So far, because of the looks of the car, i've attracted good and bad attention. Up here Inverness, I have the only 172 Cup, yes, that's right. There's a couple of 172 FF's about, and one 182. I was sitting at the lights in town, heading to my mates, and a taxi driver going in the opposite direction, muttered to either himself or a passenger (couldn't see by the time I turned to look) "F**cking spoilt pre-madonna brat." Great.... thanks. I wait 2 years for this car, can finally JUST afford it at the age of 20, paying through my teeth every month with my hard earned cash to be called this by come C5 driving t*sser. However, the girlie attention makes up for it, and even the attention of corsa driving boy racers.

I'm 100% delighted with the Cup, and wouldn't change it for the world. It brings a cracking grin to my face every time I look at it on the drive, and when I actually go to drive it. Ironicly enough, I had bought a whole list of bits and peices to be fitted and sprayed to the 1.4 before the Inverness meet next month, so will have to sell them off, but will be worth it to turn up in the Cup instead!

Just one question to conclude. On the heating, the very last 'direction of air' (if you will) is a picture of a car, and an arrow going over the bonnet of it. What's it for, as it wasn't in my Dynamique and I couldn't see it anywhere in the handbook.

Cheers, SoA

Last edited by a moderator:
  ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
16" OZ Superturismo WRC's, or as I like to call them: PITATKC (Pain In The Ass To Keep Clean);

[IMGO]http://sonsofangels.com/SOA/DSC00319.JPG[/IMGO]

Last edited by a moderator:
  Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Very nice!
The arrow going up at an angle means air going to your windscreen maybe? Does on mine.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
GazCB said:
Make sure you declare the non-standard alloys or face void insurance!

Yeah, didn't declare at first for 2 reasons. One, I was running on the turinis for a bit. Two, because if I delcare them AFTER accepting the insurance quote, I only have to pay 'X' amount as a one off, rather than spread throughout the year (keeping my DD as low as possible).

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Mike-bham said:
Very nice!
The arrow going up at an angle means air going to your windscreen maybe? Does on mine.

Don't think so mate, as it seems to shut the air off completely to the cabin and route it somewhere else! Man that sentence sounded more technical and important than it actually is.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Yeah, I had to change insurance companies after my old company refused to except 'any' mods including wheels. Gits! lol

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
DynamiqueDebz said:
Yeah, I had to change insurance companies after my old company refused to except 'any' mods including wheels. Gits! lol

That sucks! Technically, grass and dirt falling off your shoes from walking about outside is a 'mod' if left long enough. Wonder if they would void your insurance for that too? =p

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
SoA2k6 said:
That sucks! Technically, grass and dirt falling off your shoes from walking about outside is a 'mod' if left long enough. Wonder if they would void your insurance for that too? =p

LMFAO ;) :rasp:

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
philmots said:
very nice mate very nice but where is the front cup splitter?
First thing I mentioned to the dealers. I have to book the car in to pick up a brand new spare key and some free mats (will do for wiping the dog's a*r*s*e first if I ever take it in the car, before I get some spanky 172 ones. So will pick up a new one then.

tiTTy & SV650
cool u and mark can have a standoff, cup with white turini v's cup with white oz wheels lol

looks good

Ah, the penny drops! You're the guy with the cup and white rims in Inverness, and I recognise your street from the pics - I'm just across the distributer from you! We've got a monaco blue 172 L77LJG. I'll give you a flash next time I pass you....

Gald your happy lad :D white wheels on cups just looks s**t hot, i know wha u mean about the smile, i went from a nova 1.4sr to a mk2 172 i smiled all the time, then went to a 1.4 clio dynamquie and my face wasnt smiling lol but now ive got a 172 again i love it, as im sure you will for ages to come.

BMW M135i
SoA2k6 said:
Just one question to conclude. On the heating, the very last 'direction of air' (if you will) is a picture of a car, and an arrow going over the bonnet of it. What's it for, as it wasn't in my Dynamique and I couldn't see it anywhere in the handbook.

Its in there you're just not looking hard enough :p, its for closing the vents off completely so no air can get in. Its what you get instead of a recirc button.

yeah like bhm.01 said, closes the vents.. handy for when you are passing a meat factory or sewage place, keeps the smell outside!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
gadge said:
Ah, the penny drops! You're the guy with the cup and white rims in Inverness, and I recognise your street from the pics - I'm just across the distributer from you! We've got a monaco blue 172 L77LJG. I'll give you a flash next time I pass you....
Monaco blue you say? Never seen it before but nice, my mate will be jealous (his choice of colour). Will be sure to look out for you! Any pics mate?

Also, going to the Inverness meet on Sat?

DSCN1221.jpg

Not really got any decent pics I'm afraid. I'm hoping to fire along after lunch. I'll keep an eye on the road trip thread to see what time folk are meeting......

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
lol! Steven? Drive's a Lotus Exige and a metallic blue Cooper S. Small world eh? Def have seen your car once or twice! I'm cunfused to where it is you dwell, where abouts in relation to the roundabout just past Dow's are you?

SoA2k6 said:
lol! Steven? Drive's a Lotus Exige and a metallic blue Cooper S. Small world eh? Def have seen your car once or twice! I'm cunfused to where it is you dwell, where abouts in relation to the roundabout just past Dow's are you?
Aye that's them!! My missus works with Steve-O's other half!! We're down at Culduthel Park!!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Oh aye! looks familiar now!

Strange though, other night a mate and I (He drives a silver 172, k-tek fron grille, lives up my way too) were out for a drive and this 172 cup starts following us. Turns out the guy (Alistair) just moved up last week. So it's great to see a few more sport models kicking about!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Defo! Well... this meet would be a prime opertunity, but just the inverness ones would be great.

Doesn't look like the Inverness meet ain't going ahead...Booo. Seems like they are doing a road trip on Sat evening, only getting as far north as Pitlochry....