ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My speakers suddenly sound poo

Clio 197

Apart from the fact that I just said "poo", somethings really weird:

My 6x9s and amp sounded good in my first 182 (in the standard paper shelf), Fntastic in my 225 (in the standard shelf, which was rather hard) but....

... sound rubbish in my new 182 (I made my own "accoustic" shelf out of 12mm MDF).

Do they sound naff in comparison, because the megane has a bigger boot, or is it my DIY MDF poo shelf?

Ta,

Oms.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

what do you mean by poo?.......muffled/tinny/crackly ??

how have you mounted them ?

Clio 197

The bass doesnt sound the same as before...

It isnt as deep as before, as if theyre not being powered properly...

Maybe my negative earth affecting power? (which is sort of dodgy)?

Theyre mounted as they shoud be (from behind the shelf), and everything is very solid.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

without wanting to state the obvious are all yours wires connected correctly.....if not they may be out of phase...i.e one sucking when one is blowing (oooeerr, lol)

also, an mdf shelf will produce a much tighter base whereas a normal parcel shelf will create a boomy (good english LOL) flabby artificial base almost like a cardboard sound.

Clio 197

Bryan: Yup, checked wires and all is well (although the phono cable got a lot of abuse while it was being shoved through lots of little holes on the way from HU to AMP).

Ang: So, if we take very low frequency bass, should it sound better of worse on an MDF shelf? My very low freq sounds more poppy than bassy... I can feel it rather than hear it.

PS Gnite all, Im off to bed. Game over, insert coin!

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

hiya,

yeah thats right, thats the effect that MDF will have.... possibly not the answer you were looking for.

the bass you were hearing was the shelf resonating.

just out of interest, what make are your 6x9s?

Clio 197

Infinity 9603i 6x9s powered by Sony XM222.

Thx for advice. Ill probably fit an active equaliser, to adjust the frequencies to the way I like it.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 22 February 2005

Infinity 9603i 6x9s powered by Sony XM222.

Thx for advice. Ill probably fit an active equaliser, to adjust the frequencies to the way I like it.

nice...i have infinitys in my doors and rear panels.......not keen on sonys new stuff always sounds a bit tinny to me....been looking to get infinity 6x9s and a stealth shelf......need to do a bit of saving first though:D

Clio 197

Hi Ang,

Ive got the 9002is in the doors/panels. Theyre good, but I should have got components for the front. Nevermind!

PS Ive ordered a stealth shelf, because its definately my shelf thats rubbish (dont you love it when a plan comes together?! :confused:).

The infinity 6x9s are £100 in Halfords, but every so often, theyre reduced to £50. Next time you see them for £50, grab-em!