ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nürburgring newbie!

106 gti
Hi guys!
Hopefully planning a Nürburgring trip in the near future, just thought I’d get as many pointers as I can before booking everything but couldn’t find too many threads on it maybe I’m worrying too much ;)
Firstly I’ve never been on track, I’m going more for the experience and a few days away really but something I’ve wanted to do yet uk trackdays have never interested me for some reason would this be an issue? Obviously the main point is giving the car a thorough check I’d be sticking new box oil and some pads on there and it’s recently had the other service items done so should be good to go.
Main question was both insurance for the ring and breakdown cover in case anything does happen and any other pointers from those who seem to be regulars and what to expect when I go really.
Thanks In advance! Lewis

Swift Sport
As above, if things go wrong be prepared for large bills. Do all the preventative things you can and hope for the best. If you're not experienced on track try not to be a hero and don't worry about your lap times. Just enjoy yourself and keep a careful eye on your mirrors as some folk will catch you very quickly. Don't forget to check out the Pistenklause restaurant!

106 gti
Cheers guys yeah read a lot about the bills, suppose all I can do is do as much prep and checking as I can and hope I don’t bin it, and take a credit card :ROFLMAO: does anyone take out insurance and breakdown cover or just hope for the best? Cheers!

Swift Sport
Yep, most insurers exclude the Nurburgring anyway. Just drive with air of caution and remind yourself you're a long way from home if you screw up!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You should be covered by insurance to drive in Europe under your normal car insurance, excluding the Ring.

European cover with the AA or similar will also be enough. Just make sure it includes repatriation (bringing the car home all the way)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If you've never done a track day before, then go over there and don't even treat it as a track.
It's just a twisty country road through some forests.
Have some "fun" on the corners you know, the rest just have a spirited drive but be aware of fast cars behind you.
Don't let your track hero mates talk you into doing anything different. It'll end in tears at some point, let them crack on.

Times mean nothing.

There's always something faster than you.

Pay to go out in the ring taxi.

Enjoy the whole place for what it is. Good atmosphere, nice people, good beer, decent food.
Get your car and yourself home in one piece.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Having just done the Nurburgring for the first time myself, I can tell you that whatever videos and video games that you’ve ever watched, are in no way whatsoever the same experience you will ever get.
First off, it was the most amazing experience EVER.
In my opinion and as was what we did, book through a track day organiser. We went with Circuit Days. They have another trip this year in October. It is an open pit lane track day and you come and go as you please throughout the day. Most of the people that book these sort of Trackdays are experienced drivers, as opposed to TF days, therefore are a bit more courteous.

Because it was with an organiser, all the breakdown recovery was included, but non of the barrier repairs will be if you crash.
We progressed our day gently as there was no pressure of getting the most out of the €30 per lap. (TF price per lap)
Between 8-9am no one could overtake and speed limit was 60mph so it meant everyone got a good few sighting laps in before the track went green. My honest advise would be to just drive it as a B’road and slowly increase your pace as the day goes on and just drive to your own comfort level.
If you haven’t done any Trackdays before then I’d seriously suggest getting on a few tracks just so you learn and know the limit of your car.

Car preparation wise I’d say:
•Good brake pads, I use PBS all round
• Good tyres , I use R888r
• Good brake fluid , I use Motul Rbf600
•Engine oil refresh
•Gearbox oil refresh
•Coolant refresh
•spanner check all round

Oh and by the way. After you’ve done it once be prepared to be highly addicted and forever want to go back. The Nurburgring is worst than drugs.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
There are only a couple of track day insurers who will actually cover the ‘Ring. But if I wasn’t going with them then I wouldn’t bother personally. Get in a GT3 RS Ring Taxi and be thrown around far quicker than you would ever manage yourself, whilst reaping the benefits of not shitting yourself over ££££s of repairs/fines even for stuff like dropping oil.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Still hard to find the important cover you want even on a TD though, ie third party. Although armco cover is nice as is the free recovery

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, I forgot to put the third party bit. Cover for yourself is much easier to come by.

There's only one I've ever heard of, Chip found them years ago. I can't remember the name sadly. Think you had to already be insured with them year round for them to let you 'bolt it on' and even then it wasn't cheap.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
+1 for booking a day over there like Eddie says. You can just doss round at your own pace and gradually build yourself up. The driving standards on trackdays is much better too.

TF laps over there are a completely different ball game - scary at times. People are absolute loons!!!! (weekdays are alot quieter though)... At least on a trackday over there people are generally all going at a similar pace, and are in a similar mindset.
For me, TF is just an oppurtunity to get some photos over there now. You see all the stories about people getting charged thousands of euros for simple breakdowns and little bumps. But it's the risk of causing a big accident which is the deciding factor for me....... imagine the cost implecations of dropping fluid and someone ending up crashing and getting hurt.

That being said, it is a fantastic place. I've talked about going for years but always put it off - but having been over there, i can't can't wiat to plan the next trip.

As for food. I've never had a bad meal over there. As a group of mates we always tend to stick to the same places: Pistenklause, Pinocchios, Ventisette 27, Alibaba.... Always like popping up to ED tankstelle for some breakfast crossaints or there dinnertime (lunch) meal deal.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Pistenklaus is s**t, far better options for proper food [emoji23]

Glad it's not just me that thinks Pistenklaus is totally overrated. The place is quite cool with all the memorabilia on the walls, but the food is decidedly average.

I wouldn't say it was s**t, but I can take or leave it.

Ali babas in Adenau, however.....

I love Ali babas ?

There's an Asian restaurant in Adenau too, think it's close to Ali babas, thought that was pretty decent.

Pay to go out in the ring taxi.

This. 10000000000% this. If you want to experience what the 'ring is really like, go out in a proper car with someone who knows what they're doing. I always do at least one every year. It's the best bit for me.

Swift Sport
Pistenklaus imo is just one of those places you visit when you're there regardless... Like people taking photos of their car under the Nurburgring sign at the complex. I'd also recommend going to the castle, the views from the top are pretty cool.

106 gti
Wow thanks for all the replies and advice guys, will take a look at the track day! The idea of being able to go round at 60mph suits me just fine haha!

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup

;)

106 gti

;)
Thanks mate! MOT tomorrow barring any unexpected costs will take a look over the weekend!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Incredible fun but you do take a risk on TF sessions. I was always pretty lucky and also never really pushed fully.

Avoid the CarFrietag weekend like the plague if you're going, there are more bellends than ever on track then.

Pistenklaus is amazing too, get steak on a stone. Pinnochios in Adenau is also decent. Both have cheap-ish beer too.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Pistenklaus imo is just one of those places you visit when you're there regardless... Like people taking photos of their car under the Nurburgring sign at the complex. I'd also recommend going to the castle, the views from the top are pretty cool.

Yeah castle is worth a look. Would also recommend having a walk around the track as much as possible. Some nice spots you can get to.

Avoid the CarFrietag weekend like the plague if you're going, there are more bellends than ever on track then.

I'd probably say the opposite to be honest. You're right, there are a lot of heroes, but they're the best time to go if you want to soak up the experience. We usually go at Easter (didn't actually go this year though). You can write-off the Friday in terms of doing laps, but it's awesome when the whole area is totally rammed with cars. The atmosphere is really cool. Then, by Sunday/Monday, most people have gone home, so you can get plenty of laps in without too much traffic.

Swift Sport
Yeah I've been both when it's quiet and when it's rammed on a bank holiday and definitely prefer it when it's busy (apart from queueing to get off the track!).

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd probably say the opposite to be honest. You're right, there are a lot of heroes, but they're the best time to go if you want to soak up the experience. We usually go at Easter (didn't actually go this year though). You can write-off the Friday in terms of doing laps, but it's awesome when the whole area is totally rammed with cars. The atmosphere is really cool. Then, by Sunday/Monday, most people have gone home, so you can get plenty of laps in without too much traffic.

I meant just for lapping really. Another good time is when we last went, WEC race. It's on the GP so the Nordschleife is always really light.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I've been both when it's quiet and when it's rammed on a bank holiday and definitely prefer it when it's busy (apart from queueing to get off the track!).

Yeah. A friend of mine once flew out and hired a car to come and meet us. It took him about two hours to drive from one side of Adenau to the other on Car Freitag ?

I meant just for lapping really. Another good time is when we last went, WEC race. It's on the GP so the Nordschleife is always really light.

Yeah you're definitely right on the laps thing. Though at Easter I am always amazed at how quiet it is by the Sunday.

Swift Sport
We tend to go for a week including the bank holiday weekend, so you get plenty of time to get laps in either side of the weekend.

I'd only ever contemplate the ring through a TDO, no way would I turn up on these TF days. It not me I'd be worried about its all the other clowns out there.

I'd only ever contemplate the ring through a TDO, no way would I turn up on these TF days. It not me I'd be worried about its all the other clowns out there.

I'm put off the TF days too for this reason as it could potentially cost you tens of thousands of Euros by causing someone serious injury due to an oil leak or mechanical failure of your own car. Surely you wouldn't be liable if the car was hired from a Nurburgring car rental company though?

As Golf GTIs etc can be rented for around £300, this seems to be a good way of enjoying a TF without the same level of risk?

Granted I'd get more enjoyment out of driving my own car though.

I'm put off the TF days too for this reason as it could potentially cost you tens of thousands of Euros by causing someone serious injury due to an oil leak or mechanical failure of your own car. Surely you wouldn't be liable if the car was hired from a Nurburgring car rental company though?

As Golf GTIs etc can be rented for around £300, this seems to be a good way of enjoying a TF without the same level of risk?

Granted I'd get more enjoyment out of driving my own car though.
No idea mate, never looked into the ring. I just know its full of hero's and it costs a lot if it goes wrong.

No idea mate, never looked into the ring. I just know its full of hero's and it costs a lot if it goes wrong.

Yeah it's enough to put you off. I'd rather just drive at 8/10's but I know I'll get the next budding Walter Röhrl steaming up behind me in a VW Up and having to let them past.

My mates are really interested in going next year but I'm more on the fence.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'd recommend doing it at least once. I would have thought it would be bucket list stuff for virtually all petrol head to be honest. Just take it steady, drive well within your limits, avoid going out at the busiest times and, the chances are, you will be absolutely fine. I don't know anyone who has had a crash or been hit by anyone. One of our gang broke down last year, but it cost him a couple of hundred Euros to be recovered and we just fixed it and carried on. I think the YouTube videos and forum talk make it sound more dangerous than it is. People just need to show it the respect it deserves.

The hire cars do mitigate some of the financial risk, but the excesses are mega and, speaking from experience of driving one, the unfamiliarity of driving a car that's not your own probably makes you more likely to not being paying proper attention to your mirrors, so you could argue that the risk actually goes up.

Like I said, when we go at Easter, the Sunday and Monday are very quiet so, if you time it right, you can do it without loads of risk.

I'd recommend doing it at least once. I would have thought it would be bucket list stuff for virtually all petrol head to be honest. Just take it steady, drive well within your limits, avoid going out at the busiest times and, the chances are, you will be absolutely fine. I don't know anyone who has had a crash or been hit by anyone. One of our gang broke down last year, but it cost him a couple of hundred Euros to be recovered and we just fixed it and carried on. I think the YouTube videos and forum talk make it sound more dangerous than it is. People just need to show it the respect it deserves.

The hire cars do mitigate some of the financial risk, but the excesses are mega and, speaking from experience of driving one, the unfamiliarity of driving a car that's not your own probably makes you more likely to not being paying proper attention to your mirrors, so you could argue that the risk actually goes up.

Like I said, when we go at Easter, the Sunday and Monday are very quiet so, if you time it right, you can do it without loads of risk.

Yeah I'd love to experience the Nordschleife at least once. My intention would be to drive steadily too, but to also go in the ringtaxi to experience a quick lap in a high performance car.

Good points about the hire cars, I didn't think about the high insurance excesses but I can imagine they are extortionate. I don't think I'd feel comfortable about thrashing a car I've never driven before round the Nordschleife either.

Easter seems a good time of the year to go. What about later in the year too e.g Oct/Nov. As it's more likely to rain, surely that'll put off bikers, or people that are looking to get the fastest laptimes.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I'd love to experience the Nordschleife at least once. My intention would be to drive steadily too, but to also go in the ringtaxi to experience a quick lap in a high performance car.

Good points about the hire cars, I didn't think about the high insurance excesses but I can imagine they are extortionate. I don't think I'd feel comfortable about thrashing a car I've never driven before round the Nordschleife either.

Easter seems a good time of the year to go. What about later in the year too e.g Oct/Nov. As it's more likely to rain, surely that'll put off bikers, or people that are looking to get the fastest laptimes.

Ring taxi is well worth it. It's the best way to experience it in reality, as you will be going much faster than you could ever manage yourself.

I seem to remember the excess was a good few grand, but can't recall exactly. A friend of mine used to hire, but now just uses his own (relatively cheap) car.

Not been in October personally, so not sure what it's like. Easter can be a bit hit and miss, but we've mostly been lucky with the weather.