ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/A drag racer

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pretty epic stuff I reckon if you are silly enough to want to drag race N/A in the first place! :)

It is with great pride that we announce that last Friday UPG took yet another record. We are talking about the engine in our drag racing car, the Carbon Corsa. After the final adjustments and tune, the graph peaked at 326.3 horse power measured at the crank, which makes the engine the most powerful naturally aspirated two liter C20XE in the world. The secret to our success lies in the carefully chosen combination of custom high-tech components from Extreme Tuners, Jenvey, CNC Heads, Haltech and a few of our own developments. If you need any other info, we'd be happy to answer your questions at office@upg.bg

Video from the dyno:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 Cup
Awesome bit of kit there,bet it cost a lot of ££££££ to build that engine. It just keeps revving. That lump would be sweet in the back of your nova chip.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Awesome bit of kit there,bet it cost a lot of ££££££ to build that engine. It just keeps revving. That lump would be sweet in the back of your nova chip.

Its a cool engine but would be no good for me, FAR less power than my turbo motor and not even half the torque which is useful for a relatively heavy car like mine, if I had that engine it would be in a westfield or similar, or more likely be sold to buy a turbo one, N/a tuning is just pointless unless you are restricted to it by rules of a race series IMHO especially for a car with a lot of grip.

Love this car though, the attention to detail is amazing and its totally no compromise, you have to admire that :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Is it still a Nova underneath or a spaceframe?

Also, why a Nova? Can't be much demand for tuning those old lumps anymore (short of lunatics like you).

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
any reason why they stayed @ stock displacement? Seem like they've put more effort into making it the fastest C20XE rather than going for all out N?/A power.

Looks epic though!

Cookie. the Nova/Corsa scene is still big, id hazard a guess its FAR bigger than any Renault tuning community, even today.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I would imagine their answer to that would be either "because we can" or simply "why not"

lol

I fully appreciate the cause we can attitude, should have expanded, why stay at 2.0 Displacement was more my question. Rules for a certain class?

They've obviously gone to huge expense to match the componants to get that sort of power out of a N/A 2.0, just seems silly to me to keep the displacement stock, as I say unless it was built for a specific class.

Good lumps the XE's!

edit: we are posting at the same times it seems!

Regardless, I love that!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Unless they were going for a specific class, i.e 2.0 N/A, it seems utterly pointless as a drag car tbh.

Still awesome, however. Like Chip says, that engine in a Caterfield would be brilliant.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont forget as well lads that ruining the engines geometry to make it long stroke will stop it wanting to rev the same way, some people like their N/A engines revvy after all, personally I can see a lot of appeal in keeping it 2.0 from a purists point of view on how an engine like that should deliver its power high up the rev range. To some people life doesnt get interesting till 9Krpm, lol

Impressive, but also dishearteningly pointless when you could bolt a turbo to it and go faster for about four quid.

53 Clio's & counting
IMO I think it's great - it's good to see someone has done it because 'they can' - 100% agree it's fairly pointless. as said a turbo charged car will be faster and cost less, but if we all did the same things it would be a very boring world!

Ph1
Not bothered to look but has it set any drag times yet?

Old Vauxhall engines still have a lot to give. Was in my local engineer's before Christmas and there was a lad pumping big money into a old 1.6 8v gsi lump.

Got to hand it to Vauxhall. Their cars might be s**t but they know how to make a decent engines with potential to match.

IMO I think it's great - it's good to see someone has done it because 'they can' - 100% agree it's fairly pointless. as said a turbo charged car will be faster and cost less, but if we all did the same things it would be a very boring world!

Indeed, and I suppose 'pointless' is the wrong word, as obviously the whole 'point' is that it's naturally aspirated. But at the same time, I imagine if one were to now force feed that engine for a relatively low additional cost, it would probably make about 900hp. Lol :eek:

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
Is this putting put more power then jonbois nova was the green one with nitrous and scaffolding suspension I thought that was the most powerful

Oops only chip might be able to answer this

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol. Jonboys was a standard engine plus some nitrous. Nitrous isn't n/a anymore so irrelevant but this is more power than his was even on the nitrous although he had more torque.

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
I thought jonboys was the full hog with itb cams crank pistons and the rest oh well memories fooked

53 Clio's & counting
Indeed, and I suppose 'pointless' is the wrong word, as obviously the whole 'point' is that it's naturally aspirated. But at the same time, I imagine if one were to now force feed that engine for a relatively low additional cost, it would probably make about 900hp. Lol :eek:

Lol true Roy, another 200bhp on top of this would be fairly easy with a medium sized blower and some lower compression pistons lol - oh the joys of n/a!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The green one they build for 500 quid and got into the 12s, that was an epic little car and the lads who had it off them after were cool too, I remember helping them change the clutch at santa pod when it started slipping, they dropped the engine and box to the ground on a trolley jack and then we all lifted the shell up off of it to take the engine and box out so they could work on it on the floor then we lifted it back over again when they had gone and fetched a new clutch and fitted it.
His white one was a better spec and was into the 8:40s at the ring on his first ever trip out there while he was still learning the track, pretty impressive stuff I reckon, jonboy really can pedal! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The blocks start cracking at around 600bhp, weve had quite a few do it now between us, but it is possible to use a later block which can be pinned to help prevent it, even then though 900 might be a big ask, but yes I totally agree with your principle that turbo would make more power, but if you are in an N/A series thats not an option of course.

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
The blocks start cracking at around 600bhp, weve had quite a few do it now between us, but it is possible to use a later block which can be pinned to help prevent it, even then though 900 might be a big ask, but yes I totally agree with your principle that turbo would make more power, but if you are in an N/A series thats not an option of course.

didnt you crack the block at about 650 in the rwd nova ??????

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
didnt you crack the block at about 650 in the rwd nova ??????

Dont know what power it cracked at, wasnt on a rolling road at the time was mapping live on the road, probably around 600bhp though at the time, was the first time I had seen it happen as that was quite a few years ago now, there was moisture from the exhaust and I thought the head gasket might have gone, but I pulled it apart and it was perfect as was the head, no signs of any damage at all, even the pistons still fine, was only when I examined the cylinder walls that I found the slightest of cracks and then we cut open the back of the block so that we could see how exactly it had failed, was right on a casting seam in the block, its an inherent weakness with the way that they are cast, although TBH cant really complain at a 150bhp engine block failing at 600bhp really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This N/A nova blew up recently, so some friends of mine helped them rebuild it this week, slightly lower spec engine as some of the custom parts werent available in time, but despite that it went to pod yesterday on the lower spec engine and ran:

10.6 seconds at 130mph!

That is SO fast for an N/A FWD hatch, just totally mental!