ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

n00b, ICE in a MK1 clio (probably RT model)

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Hi guys, basically I'm buying (hopefully) a MK1 Clio RT, Maxim S or maybe 1.4 RN soon and wanna know the score with budget ICE in these cars.

What I have already:

JVC KD-G611 head unit (4x50w blah blah its quite nice though)
JBL GTO2000 amp
Vibe VBR10 sub and box
Autoleads 720w (4AWG if I remember rightly) wiring kit.

The current amp and sub aint too loud I'd imagine (they're brand new never used yet, but just guessing lol, I got them cheap off an ex ICE dealer). However I'm fancying a 12" sub so might swap the amp also.

Basically, the general "full range" sound - what size speakers fit in the front doors? Is there a lot of metal behind the plastic door cards which'll get in the way? Wheres the best place to mount tweeters? As ideally I'd like components. All running off the head unit though so obviously will get sensitive ones so they're easier to drive, I've got Alpine SXS 1757 in my Corsa so looking for something like that.

Rear speakers... 6*9's? Yay or nay? Or get some components/full range coaxials in the back door cards etc?

Finally, seeing as this lot is not gonna be mega high end or anything like that and all the speakers (bar sub) will be powered from the head unit (it's louder than you'd expect though, with the right sensitivity speakers obviously), will the bog standard Reno cabling for the speakers be up to the job? As I don't fancy re-wiring if theres not really any need for my small budget system...

Thanks guys!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1320.html
That package covers all bases, We fitted this into a friends saxo not so long ago took about 4-5hours to take out the standard system and put in the new equipment. dont worry abotu it being JBL remember its infinity audio without the strong brand name, the sound quality is something you'd expect from a much higher end kit and honestly unless you're doing it to show off at car shows the volume and quality will have you smiling.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Looks alright that, not too bad a price I guess.

Can't say I'm keen on my JBL 6*9's I have in my Corsa though (same as ones in the deal) bit too mid-bass heavy which makes them sound boxy :(

Megane 225 Cup
Hey mate,

1. Id go for comps all round, if you have a sub you dont need 6x9's
2. That sub will probs be loud enough, try it out, you might be surprised
3. Yes the renault wiring will be fine for the job (50W no worries)
4. The front and rear comps in my old mark 1 were 13cm ones.. i replaced them with alpine type-r's and it sounded mint
5. Tweaters are in teh dash on my old one, hassle to take out, however if you have a decent set of comps (with mounted tweater) you need not worry

oooh.. also you said about loudness, when you have a sub as your comps are only tweating it alows them to go much louder without distorting.

Hope that helps

Nick

Megane 225 Cup
Kneel said:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1320.html
That package covers all bases, We fitted this into a friends saxo not so long ago took about 4-5hours to take out the standard system and put in the new equipment. dont worry abotu it being JBL remember its infinity audio without the strong brand name, the sound quality is something you'd expect from a much higher end kit and honestly unless you're doing it to show off at car shows the volume and quality will have you smiling.

Not saying thats the wrong choice.. just not how id do it..

You dont need 6x9's if u have a sub, plus they look gash

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Only worry with the sub is it's ported so not sure how good it'd be with mid-bass (i.e 80Hz+ as I'd hate the system to have a massive roll off going UP the frequency ladder :p hehe. I know tis only budget but I do like my sounds, will components manage alright do you think? I know the 6*9's can easily sort the midbass but I might not bother with them and go nice components off the HU up front, some coax's for rear fill and sub for sub bass... providing I can get enough mid bass to cope :)

Megane 225 Cup
like i said before, dont bother with 6x9's, get some decent comps and your sub sorted and youll have no worries, all you can do with the sub is try it, mines ported and most people reckon it sounds great.

But yeah comps from headunit will be fine, after all if you have a sub, all they are doing is tweating and a teeny weeny bit of bass.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
yeah, so how would you recommend setting the comps up from the head unit end? I mean, like turn the bass down on the HU and up the gain at the amp end?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
fungusman said:
Not saying thats the wrong choice.. just not how id do it..

You dont need 6x9's if u have a sub, plus they look gash
ah no worries, just all about personal taste. i'd still recommend splitting everything through a multi-channel amp regardless of the speakers you're using, when I ran a sub/amp and then my speakers from the head I couldn't find a nice balance without something getting distorted/overpowered. when I put the amp in its splits the channels meaning it will sound sweet as without distorting right the way up to full whack. Up to you fella

Mustang, S13, AX GT
oh sorry, also ported subs are better for clear bass through the freqs, sealed boxs are good for low bass with big volume ;)

MK1 Clio 16v
I have a system similar to that deal that was listed above, although i don't have the JBL sub and Amp. I do however have the JBL 6x9's in the rear and the JBL 10cm components up front.

I don't believe you can fit 13cm speakers in the front doors of a MK1 clio, 10CM will replace the standard speakers supplied in there and i think you'd have to drill some new holes to get 13's in, although they would produce better sound quality.

To solve the issue of having no bass coming through the speakers, i have the bass on my head unit set to normal levels, and i have my components & 6x9's amplified with an amp per set. So in total i have three amps in my boot, two for the two sets of speakers and one for the sub.

On the amps that power my 6x9's and components i have set them to use a 'HPF', which is a high pass filter. This cuts out all of the low frequencies at the amplifier. The result is crystal clear sound at very high volume with little bass coming through the speakers at all.

I also have a level control connected to my subwoofers amplifier mounted in the front of the car, so rather than fiddling around with the head unit, if i want more bass i can just kick up the power to the amp a touch, or turn it down or off if i don't want any bass at all. This is VERY useful.

I know the 6x9's weren't the best choice as they do get distorted a bit from the sub, but they are VERY loud, louder than the components in fact. Eventually i will probably replace them with some components in the rear if i ever find somewhere to mount some components in the rear of my 3dr valver.

I have a 12" ported Fusion sub in the back which sounds pretty good, but i think in future i will go for a sealed one as i don't like the noise the port makes. Sounds a bit farty at times.

Hope you find this useful...!