ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N96 misbehaving

Da

Less
I've had this phone since January and it has been spot on until the last day or so.
Basically the illumination goes out as you'd expect after the time out period, now when I press a button on the phone this would normally bring the illumination back on. It doesn't however, I now have to close and reopen the slider which is a bit of a pain!

I've tried a full factory reset and it hasn't helped.

Anyone any ideas before I consult Nokia?

As a side point, it now seems the keypad stays permanently lit whilst the slider is open.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
software update, or reinstall.

my n96 is seriously poor software wise.

its always freezing

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I got my N96 the day it came out. Was a mint phone until about 2 months ago when it started f**king up. Sold it last week on Mazumamobile and got 205 quid for it.

Now got the new blackberry curve 8900 and this is miles better than the n96.

200000000000% better infact!

Sam!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
once nokia sort them self out and start getting some good updates out the n96 will be an awesome fone

Da

Less
It is awesome and I enjoy the phone, just not sure why it's suddenly started doing this.

Firmware wise I'm running 12.043 and it says no updates available Andy.

Da

Less
From Nokia;

Latest available software for Nokia N96, product code 0573063
Version: 12.043
Compare numbers
If this version is greater than your current software version, update now to get the latest features, applications and improvements

378bhp Leon Cupra R
I'm selling mine at the minute through Mazumo for £205 my mate done the same last week.....had nothing but bother with the N96 from the start e.g turning off sometimes after phone calls....screen freezing....and lately after a few mins on calls disconnecting.....worst phone in a while TBH!!

Da

Less
Well I'm just reinstalling mine, but as I said, I've had no issues untill this one cropped up.

My N95 was replaced 3 times in 3 months, lol!

Mines done this a couple of times but as said just closed and reopned the slider and its been fine. There is a newer firmware out but its not out for all product numbers yet. Give it a couple of months and it should be live (or change your product code)

Main problem I have with mine is that the slider is coming lose and now when it vibrates it makes a horribly loud noise. Does my head in!

Da

Less
The reinstall achieved nothing, I couldn't be bothered with changing the product code and all that messing about so it's gone back! Should have a new one in a day or two...fingers crossed!

Da

Less
My new one arrived this evening, but it seems to be acting exactly the same...very strange! :S

Da

Less
Yeah I was thinking that this morning mate, not sure how I'd get around that though? I did two back up's before I sent the phone off, one on memory card (which is now loaded on new phone) and one via pc suite. I might try wiping the phone clean and doing a restore from the pc instead, maybe that will help?

My issues are ;
1, the navi wheel will not illuminate nor breathe - breathing is switched on.
2, the 'D' pad around the navi wheel incorporating the call and end keys is permanently illuminated.
3, the multimedia keys that are revealed when the phone is slid open for playback will not illuminate.
4, when the phone is open but has been left for several seconds the screen/keypad illumination dims as expected, now normally pressing any button would bring it back to full brightness - this doesn't happen.
5, finally, receiving a message/call/plugging in the charger has no effect on 4, above.

I am awaiting a call back from Nokia UK as we speak.

1998 BMW e46 323i
debrand and update. Or live with the pants fw. I'm on v.20.050. Keep your power saver time out and light time out the same, say 20 seconds. I was proper unhappy with mine on delivery. It's pretty perfect now tbh.

Da

Less
John, was looking at debranding last night. Am I correct in thinking this voids your warranty though?
I downloaded NSS with a view to getting it done but the software couldn't find my phone.
Also I was struggling to find a reliable product code.

Try formatting the phone and maybe reinstalling the firmware, then restore the backup from pc.. But leave out the phone settings part, just do the pics,contacts,messages etc.

1998 BMW e46 323i
not sure about the warranty tbqfh Da. Isn't the 2yr warranty with nokia anyway? Can't see why they'd be fussed...

Da

Less
Yeah I am going to try that tonight once I get home Howard. I'm going to reinstall the OS via the Nokia website so the phone is blank then just transfer my essential files from PC to phone and see where that gets me.

John - I'm not sure either, I'd just read somewhere that the warranty would be voided by messing with the product code.

If you don't mind me asking, what code did you use?

Da

Less
Right, a solution!

I took the plunge and did a reformat which is the *#7370# short code, but please note before doing this you MUST make a backup of all your personal data on the phone as it will be wiped during the process!

Through a process of elimination it turns out I must have had a corrupt file/files in my backed up data, so when I restored it to the phone this made it malfunction as such.

All done now and I just have the bear essentials loaded on, contacts and pictures with no corruptions.

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
Think mine is 0573063. Really can't stress how much benefit the latest fw offers mate. The one you're on v.12 is rubbish, slow, buggy etc etc. You can always switch the code back...

Don't think 7370 is a proper hard reset either, (all my settings remained when I did this) and without formatting your mass memory all the files remain on it.

I never use the back up nonsense unless the phone was fine when I backed up.

Glad you've sorted it anyway.