ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nail in tyre

Mars Red Clio V6 255

hi just left work and found a nail in the rear tyre of my 182, got a mate to pick me up as i live 15 miles from work and the foam stuff says for max of 12 miles and max speed of 30mph, and as i have to go on the A3 dont want to chance it.

question is, i think the repairable as its on the tread not on the sidewall, but will renault come to my work and repair it for me, or do i have to call out a mobile tyre company to come and fix it, and if so how much would it roughly cost to call a company or renault out?

[Edited by kieron on 07 October 2004 at 7:52pm]

172 & Golf GTI on order!

I can sympathise with you mate, Ive had two nails this week one in the clio and one in my week old 18" audi alloys. Not a happy chap! got them both repaired for £25 by local tyre place so all turned out ok in the end !!!

Clio 197

Its a b*gger isnt it?!

Happened once to my 182, so I bought a spare, and kept it in the boot (tied down of course).

As long as its not in side-wall, it stands a good chance of repair.

I had the exact same thing happen to the rear tyre of my 182 two days ago!! Took the car down to my local tyre place and had it repaired for £15

Mars Red Clio V6 255

yeah it is a pain, but my last 3 cars now have not had a spare wheel, lotus elise, z3m and now the 182.

never had a flat tyre before so have never used the foam spray, but i dont think i would trust it, would rather call out a mobile unit and get them to come repair it.

GR7

Shiny red R32

My local garage fixes punctures for about £5 and I stood and watched one day as they were mending someones puncture. The guy pulled out the nail then drilled out a neat hole into which a long plug of hard looking rubber is forced in and it pokes out through the tread side of the tyre and is glued in, and after the glue has gone off, the protruding end is cut off and the inside trimmed then it goes back on and gets blown back up and looks as good as new.

Once that foam stuff has been put into the tyre, can a puncture be mended in the normal way or does the foamed tyre last indefinitely?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by iwanta172 on 08 October 2004

I had the exact same thing happen to the rear tyre of my 182 two days ago!! Took the car down to my local tyre place and had it repaired for £15
£15? :eek: You were robbed - it must have been a dealer - my garage would do three for that!

Full Fat 182 - Was..

£15 quid you were f**king robbed!!!

Had a nail in my tyre on my 1.6 clio took it to the tyre place and had him fix it in under 60 seconds for 8 quid!

Never even took the tyre off

Dont go for one of these interior butt plug type patches!!! tyre fitters like to shag alloys up

Have an exterior patch fitted, much faster and cheaper, also saves having to have the tyre taken off and f**ked about with

HAVE THE EXTERIOR PATCH!!!!

Zim recomends it

Clio 197

Some repairers will tell you that the tyre is not repairable after using foam.

The truth is, they dont want to put their hands in it (eeew!).

Offer to clean it out for them, and you should be ok.

R26.r #156

I had a puncture in my CUP (And no the tea didnt come out!) Repaired for £10, interior patch. But if you are out and about we all have 24hr AA roadside assist done we? Could call them and get a puncture repaired, if they do that? The foam, for me, i think would be a last resort.... gotta make a horibble mess, anyone used it?

Mars Red Clio V6 255

well guys bad luck! just come back from the garage, and he said that the nail was on the shoulder of the tyre and it cant be repaired, so he has ordered me another tyre. coming in tomorrow, really pissed off as i thought it could have been repaired and by all your posts it seems you all had yours repaired.

im going to ask the guy to put my old tyre in the boot so i can take it to another place and see what they say.

what price will a new tyre be? and if i found out that the old tyre could be repaired what would be the next step?

i know one of the guys has a 182 at that place, so i hope they are not just saying the tyre is unrepairable and then giving it to the guy with the 182 as a spare.

[Edited by kieron on 08 October 2004 at 1:38pm]

i had two nails about two weeks ago and ended up buying a tyre. How far from the centre of the tyre the nail is determines if it can be repaired (they have a gauge). IIRC on 195 width, anything more than 35mm from the centreline of the tyre should not be repaired as it wont seal properly...

Earlier this year I picked up my car from Renault dealer after a service. "By the way, do you know you have a nail in your tyre?" - Strange, I thought. Hadnt noticed anything when I pumped them up the other day. Half a mile down the road from the dealer, the tyre goes completely flat. Annoyed, I phone the dealer back - "Sorry, we dont fix punctures" F***ing useless. Anyway, I had to use the foam stuff which worked well, actually. I drove around on it for a couple of days whilst I waited for new front tyres. (they needed replacing anyway) Max speed I tried was around 40mph. Didnt want to risk going any faster!