ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ND Filter Help

A4 130
I want a ND filter for my 400d, any recomendations? Ive seen a few, x2, x4, x8 for example but havent got a clue what would be best?!

ND filters come in strengths like what you've seen there factors of x2, x4, x8 (which is basically 1 stop, 2 stop, and 3 stop). so depending on how much light you want to remove depends on which one you use. normally you have all three lol

are you looking at screw in filters or square filters like cokin P?

Interested as well, Bought a cheap one off ebay amongst a few others just to try them out, Only spent £20, Im only experimenting as im just starting out,

I havent got them yet...

Will get some better glass when im more experienced.

Last edited:
  LY R26 230 F1 Team
Let me know how the cheap ones go guysy.

I've heard of people using the glass from welding masks to get the same effect, so surely the ebay filters must be better than that!

I would be weary of cheap filters. At the end of the day, all the light has to pass through that filter, so if it's a bit dodgy, your photos will look naff. Carefully decide which filter would be best, and spend a bit extra on it I would advise.

x8 are a good filter density. My first ND was x8, as I feared that any lower wouldnt be enough. I don't regret it, as sometimes x8 doesnt block as much as I'd like!

A bit of advice, if you get a set of slot-in filters (ie. the rectangular ones, not the screw in ones) you can SOMETIMES, depending on the size of the filter, use a graduated ND filter as a normal ND filter. If the filter is large enough, you can slide the GND filter down so that all of the 'dark bit' covers the lens, so it is basically a normal ND filter.
So you have two types of the filters in one.

Be warned though, it does depend on the size of the filter. I use LEE 150mm filters, which are quite large. If you use Cokin, some of their filters are much smaller which may not cover the whole lens. AND if you use a soft edge grad filter it may not work as well too.

Just a thought......

If you specifically want to take day time shots, then even three stops won't be enough. You might want to look into 10 stop filters, there are a few brands out there. Just do a bit of research, make sure you know the filter is going to be right for you.