ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a wireless bridge

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
As cheap as poss, can't be fucked with buying an official MS adapter for the 360 and I'm pissed off with the 20m CAT5 cable trailing through my flat :p

AK

M240i
They're so sucky to set up!

I'd go for powerline adapters chap, wait for the orange homeplug's on ebay, they're put on every so often, £17 BIN everytime :)

Sucky?

SRSLY?

LOL it took me 2 seconds to set it up.

Plug into PC, asked for network name & WEP key, done.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I love how everyone bangs on about wireless being crap for pings. I bet half of you don't even truely understand what a ping is, what it does, how it's constructed and what it means in the real world.
If you've got decent equipment and a decent signal there's no reason for it to be any worse than using an ethernet cable as your transport medium (not noticeably anyway). And if you're using Xbox Live you'll still be using the same internet connection, so if you've got a decent wireless setup your internet connection (or indeed the ISP) will still be the slowest point in the equation.
On my wireless network at home, I can do "ping -t" from my laptop to my wireless AP and get the echo response back in < 5ms constantly.

So in answer to the OP, get yourself a Cisco Aironet 1200 series AP and enable bridging on it - works a treat and I'm willing to bet my left testicle you can't find another AP for sale with a better signal strength.

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'm just gonna buy the official MS one, everything everyone has suggested is roughly the same price anyway :p

Plus, I'm well aware of what a ping is :p

Fiesta ST
I love how everyone bangs on about wireless being crap for pings. I bet half of you don't even truely understand what a ping is, what it does, how it's constructed and what it means in the real world.
If you've got decent equipment and a decent signal there's no reason for it to be any worse than using an ethernet cable as your transport medium (not noticeably anyway). And if you're using Xbox Live you'll still be using the same internet connection, so if you've got a decent wireless setup your internet connection (or indeed the ISP) will still be the slowest point in the equation.
On my wireless network at home, I can do "ping -t" from my laptop to my wireless AP and get the echo response back in < 5ms constantly.

So in answer to the OP, get yourself a Cisco Aironet 1200 series AP and enable bridging on it - works a treat and I'm willing to bet my left testicle you can't find another AP for sale with a better signal strength.

I think i prefer a full duplex connection over half duplex any day of the week ;) wireless should always be a last resort.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I think i prefer a full duplex connection over half duplex any day of the week ;) wireless should always be a last resort.

I'm sorry but you aren't going to notice the difference playing Xbox Live. It's simply not intensive enough on bandwidth to matter. A decent wireless setup is more than adequate for playing XBL and streaming video (even HD because the data is biased largely in one direction)

Fiesta ST
I'm sorry but you aren't going to notice the difference playing Xbox Live. It's simply not intensive enough on bandwidth to matter. A decent wireless setup is more than adequate for playing XBL and streaming video (even HD because the data is biased largely in one direction)

Yeah i agree it's adequate but not the best method which is the point I make - wireless has it's pitfalls as you know. As you say, you need a good wireless setup in the first place but even then is sustainable to interference.

Clio Hybrid / S3
Didnt want to pay for the offical adaptor myself! I've just bridged my wireless connection from my computer to the Ethernet port to Xbox. Works a treat but the downfall is i have to have my computer turned on as well...

Just realised you're computer might not be in the same place as you're computer :p

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt want to pay for the offical adaptor myself! I've just bridged my wireless connection from my computer to the Ethernet port to Xbox. Works a treat but the downfall is i have to have my computer turned on as well...

Just realised you're computer might not be in the same place as you're computer :p

Completely different rooms :p

185lb/ft dCi
only because it has more antenna's, still, sends/receives data simultaneously, its the only good wired alternative imo!

BMW F31
using 2 V1.0 bt homehubs with WDS to bridge my xbox to the outside world. works a treat tbh. was worried it would be really laggy but its fine.

homehubs are cheap as chips on fleabay too ;)