ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need for Speed Shift UK Review

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Need for Speed Shift UK Review

Shifting the series up a gear.

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AOpt=0&AdID=141497&FlightID=128452&TargetID=8633&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=1,255,264,348,1931,2092,2733,2863,3219,3494,3943,3975,3982,4170,4178,4834,4951,5015,5036,5497,5527,5638,5718,5727,5736,5792,6486,6654,6657,6671,6701,7752,8587,9443,10327,10564,10606,10725,10820,11071,11754,12248,14075,15996,17864,17902,18277&Targets=17164,6743,7873,17306,7697,8633,10619,11620,21183,15112,19618&Values=25,31,43,51,60,72,84,90,100,110,150,190,225,226,227,235,268,469,829,1190,1404,1481,1503,1591,1816,2662,2679,2680,2721,4056,4295,4525,4799,5666,6612,6744,8052,8139,8211,8243,8245,8486,9113,58071,58218,58329,58966,58968,59328,59609,59895,60274,60487&RawValues=&random=Afbiwn,bfkrRWxAekcwa

UK, September 10, 2009 - Eau Rouge, Pouhon and Blanchimont; the holy trinity of corners that form the backbone of Belgium's Spa Francorchomps, long recognised as one of the greatest tracks in modern-day use, and have bloodied many a nose in the past. Eau Rouge is a fast uphill switchback, long since tamed by single-seater cars and their pounds of downforce but still a thrill in its own right. Pouhon's retained its challenge, teasing drivers in with a fast entry and then slapping them in the face with its unforgiving exit, and Blanchimont, while looking like nothing but a kink from afar, has a concrete barrier waiting at its conclusion for anyone who underestimates it.

need-for-speed-shift-uk-review-20090910043318829.jpg
Friends hot-laps are logged, adding a nice element of competition.

They're three corners that have featured in many a racing game before, but rarely have they been evoked as thrillingly as they are in Need for Speed Shift, EA's bold new direction for the long-running series that comes courtesy of Slightly Mad Studios, a developer who has proved its prowess in the racing genre with the sublime GTR games. Many other racing games treat the corners with nonchalance – in Codemasters' brilliant yet somewhat lightweight GRID, Eau Rouge and Blanchimont are reduced to mere kinks, while Pouhon asks nothing more than a downshift and a yank of the wheel.

Not so in Shift, and those fearing dumbed-down handling can take solace in the trip to the tyre wall that awaits drivers who treat Spa's trinity of corners with anything other than a fearful respect. Eau Rouge's violent incline becomes a living nightmare, asking for pixel perfect placement while Pouhon requires the utmost attention from entry to apex to exit. Blanchimont is the most terrifying, with a wide entry setting up a full-lock drift, with the tyres squealing like a chorus of burning kittens as the game's trademark exaggerated oversteer kicks in.

At times you have to pinch yourself – can this really be a Need for Speed game? The series may have taken some wild turns since its inception in the early '90s, but arguably none have them have been as bold as this. Ditching the open-world pretensions and point-to-point runs of previous games, its focus is solely on circuit racing.

It's track set reads like a statement of intent, highlighting the very best the world of motorsport has to offer; the aforementioned Spa Franchomps is joined by a bevy of British tracks, including a Brands Hatch that's never looked so glamorous and a lightning-fast run through the City of London. Somewhat predictably the Nordschleife features, though it's hard to grumble at the inclusion of what's fast becoming a racing game standard when it's been handled so artfully.

It's a joy to drive, and it's not just the likes of Spa that have been enlivened by the spirited handling; places like Silverstone's Becketts complex or Laguna Seca's infamous Corkscrew put up more of a challenge than ever before. At heart, then, it's a traditional driving sim rooted in the real, with Slightly Mad Studios' pedigree shining through. It's a damn fine looking one as well, its rich environments, smooth frame-rate and perfectly crafted car models ensuring it's on an even keel with both Forza and Gran Turismo.

need-for-speed-shift-uk-review-20090910043318251.jpg
All tracks are available in dusk, dawn and midday settings, and all look superb.

There's one area where Need for Speed Shift soundly trumps the competition: its driving is an exceptionally visceral experience, with a sensation of sheer velocity that's unparalleled in the genre. Take a car to its limits and the engine bark shakes the chassis, the colour drains from the screen and the cockpit blurs, focusing the driver's attention on the thin ribbon of tarmac ahead.

It's meant to inspire sweaty palms and it certainly works – connect with a wall at speed and the effect is taken to an extreme, the screen shaking violently and the driver audibly wincing at the impact. Unfortunately the effect's not reflected in the game's damage model. Although cars bounce, flip and roll convincingly, they're often left with little more than a scratch and a cracked windscreen, and it takes several serious impacts to wrestle any of the bodywork off - it's a way off the destruction p**n of Codemasters' GRID and DiRT 2.

Like Codemasters' games, Shift takes a global view on its racing, with America and Japan also represented. Daytona making a thinly veiled appearance in the Dakota oval and road course and Laguna Seca represented in all its undulating glory. There are also some neat curios; Autopolis has a rare videogame outing, and you have to wonder why it's so often neglected, it's steep switchbacks and wide radius corners making for some astounding tail-out moments, while elsewhere a selection of fictional tracks bolster an already generous roster.

So it's a Need for Speed game like no other, but the game's biggest downfall is when it tries to fit what's undoubtedly an accomplished sim into the series' more fantastical lineage. On some levels it works surprisingly well – the modification culture that's played a part in several Need for Speed games chimes well with the game's garage, grounded as it is in production vehicles. Taking a pedestrian road car and gradually transforming it into a stripped down racer is the single-player's greatest pleasure, and the progression is reflected brilliantly in the car's behaviour on the track as well as its appearance - interior modifications are reflected in the cockpit view, with the upholstery being replaced by carbon fibre panels and a roll cage framing the windscreen.

need-for-speed-shift-uk-review-20090910043317735.jpg
Convincing smoke and dirt are just two of the game's visual triumphs.

Elsewhere, it's a strange marriage. Drift competitions feel like they have strayed in from a separate game, and they're a little broken, with the game's otherwise excellent handling model unable to cope convincingly with the art of holding a car sideways. It's less of a problem when the cars are neutered with the game's charitable selection of in-game assists, but even then it feels like an incongruous addition and sits uncomfortably with the more traditional track racing. Thankfully they make up but a slice of the action, with the bulk of the racing spread across pack races, car battles and time attacks. There are certainly a lot of them, but they're presented in an overwhelming fashion. Seemingly unable to decide on a single mechanic to fuel the single-player mode, Shift plumps for every single one it could think of.

Cars are separated into tiers, beginning with workaday cars such as Meganes and Polos, and the fourth tier housing more exotic machinery such as Lamborghini Murcielagos and Bugatti Veyrons. Progression through the tiers comes through a muddled set of systems: firstly, and most basically, success in events equals cash, a mechanic that everyone can understand. Beyond that it gets a little more complex.

need-for-speed-shift-uk-review-20090910043317126.jpg
The cockpit view is excellent, giving an immersive perspective on the racing.

Style points are rewarded for each race, a riff on Project Gotham's excellent Kudos system but one that feels a little redundant here. Clean corners and overtakes get you a tick in the precision box, while nudges and shunts earn points for aggression, all of which feed into a levelling system. The thinking behind them is understandable, as theoretically they provide a unique fingerprint for each driver. Commendably the system is carried over to the online races (which, incidentally, work smoothly, although we were unable to test the game running it's full quota of eight drivers), meaning you're earning cash and points whenever you're on track.

It doesn't stop there however, and to successfully unlock races drivers have to attain stars, which are meted out for fulfilling select criteria for each individual race. They vary a little, often asking players to master corners – which is simply a case of driving smoothly on the racing line at a respectable speed – to getting the car on the podium and for getting a set amount of points. Couple this with the none-too-small task of just keeping the car on the road and it is complete overkill, the in-game HUD a confusing web of stats and counters which help to make the first few hours with the game overwhelmingly confusing.

Closing Comments
But it ultimately does little to detract from the core experience and its many successes. Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing a driving experience that’s genuinely thrilling. In one stroke it revitalises the flagging Need for Speed brand, and suggests that – with just a little more refinement – the series is establishing itself as a true contender to Gran Turismo and Forza.

IGN UK Ratings for Need for Speed Shift (X360)

http://uk.ign.com/demoroom.htmlhttp://uk.games.ign.com/ratings.html7.5Presentation
While the art design is good there's simply too much going on, and the loading times can test the patience.

9.5Graphics
With DiRT 2, Forza 3 and GT5 we're running out of superlatives for racing game's visuals, but this deserves some of its own. In a word, stunning.

9.0Sound
Engine notes are wonderfully guttural, and the voiceover's nicely understated - while the music is typical Need for Speed fare.

8.5Gameplay
On track it's superb, with handling that offers a nicely exaggerated take on a sim model - but it's sometimes lost under the myriad scoring systems.

8.5Lasting Appeal
The single-player's meaty and the multiplayer is considered and well implemented, offering local leaderboards and eight-player races.

GreatOVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

57 Clio Campus Sport
I think it's a stupid idea, n4s is street racing and that is what it doe best. I have no idea why they have tried turning it into a track racer. Especially with forza 3 round the corner

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Especially with forza 3 round the corner

This will be released like all NFS games on multi platforms so it gives me something to play on the ps3 until GT5 comes out in 2459 :sleepy:
i dont think it is necessarily a bad move to break away from the arcade style to more sim based racing.

Looks ace! But with Dirt 2 sitting in my mail box, FM3 out in a few weeks and GT5 in a few months there is so little point in buying this!

I'm still wary of NFS series, after Pro Street I'd definitely want a long trial of the full game before considering parting with cash for it.

I still think they've been needing to go back to the roots with a NFS underground 2 remodel. With a bit less chavvy mods and more engine/real life tuning etc. I loved how you could drive around the city, be it small, and challenge other racers you saw on the roads etc. One of my favourite games of all time tbh.

A silver Honda
I still think they've been needing to go back to the roots with a NFS underground 2 remodel. With a bit less chavvy mods and more engine/real life tuning etc. I loved how you could drive around the city, be it small, and challenge other racers you saw on the roads etc. One of my favourite games of all time tbh.
+1

Not a 320d
I wont hold my breath, id imagine itll be like GRID in many ways tbqh, and i dont like the way the cars handle or appear to handle on grid (Im s**t and im making up excuses but thats not the point).

It will be no Forza thats for sho'

57 Clio Campus Sport

+2

That was the last one I remember really enjoying. The only good thing in carbon was the mountain edge races which were awesome, prostreet was doodoo, but I think undercover bought it back again a bit.

I think a N4S based in London would be awesome. Street racing on the streets of London.

I'll be getting shift anyway but I'm still not sure about the direction a street racing game has taken

Not a 320d
is this out? or demo?

:rolleyes: Pfff demo. There was an NTSC release the other day but PAL came out yesterday i think.

Good game in my opinion, the turbo flutter is embarrassing though, what did they do, get a marakka thing and shake it ? Steering is wierd, bit arcady. Graphics is good but im still not convinced with in car views, they are stunning but they are also distracting and i prefer the bumper camera. You can mod cars but not like forza or GT, its like, stage 1, 2 or 3 upgrades and they dont do much for the car.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Not sure how I feel about it at the moment, it all feels a bit...clunky. The menus are over complicated. The cars sound are a bit ott, I'm currently rollin in a tt 3.2 quattro and it sounds nothing like real car, I should know, there one parked on my driveway, it sounds more like a Ferrari in game. The graphics are quite good. When I first started playing the handling felt like crap but the mixture of getting used to it and better cars is growing on me.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
You know what ill take back what i said, the controlls feel VERY delayed and unrealistic. Like you push right too far and push left to correct yourself you get some gay effect going on where by even tapping in the opposite direction will cause the car to lose control. YES in real life this would happen but not like it does in game. Menz i completely agree with what youve said, clunky and aquard controls but - im not getting used to them. They have created a really good game with loads of possibilities for it to be an awsome game, and ruined it.

Anyways im off to eat some garlic bread.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Yer I thought they were growing on me but they're not, if this game handled anything like grid it would be an awesome game. It's like it's too sensitive and not sensitive enough at the same time (which will sound confusing to someone who hasn't played it) but it's the only way I can put it.

I tried a bugatti veyron race which was just mentally out of control.

What handling mode have you got it on? I'm on experienced i think which still has the manufacture assists on but no braking assists etc. I'm going to try it with all assists off later and see how it handles then.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
Yer I thought they were growing on me but they're not, if this game handled anything like grid it would be an awesome game. It's like it's too sensitive and not sensitive enough at the same time (which will sound confusing to someone who hasn't played it) but it's the only way I can put it.

I tried a bugatti veyron race which was just mentally out of control.

What handling mode have you got it on? I'm on experienced i think which still has the manufacture assists on but no braking assists etc. I'm going to try it with all assists off later and see how it handles then.

Exactly ! but then i thought GRID was shite.

Im on Basic, with all the assists on because it helps it make the game playable, turning on steering assist to low helps, if you go to the main menu you can change the control options (like steering sensitivity but nothing makes it better) I dont think ill be playing this anymore solely because of the way the controls are.

Not a 320d
Ive actually just installed GRID on the PC and hooked my old ps2 controller up to it, controls were miles better, slightly off topic yes, but im hoping Shift will be similar. Its a really great game, its just s**t to control.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Stil hating this game, I want to like it but it's just wrong

I've noticed that sometimes when you brake it just downshifts a load and when you try to accelerate away it's just revving the crap out of itself

Not sure how I feel about it at the moment, it all feels a bit...clunky. The menus are over complicated. The cars sound are a bit ott, I'm currently rollin in a tt 3.2 quattro and it sounds nothing like real car, I should know, there one parked on my driveway, it sounds more like a Ferrari in game. The graphics are quite good. When I first started playing the handling felt like crap but the mixture of getting used to it and better cars is growing on me.

Just installed it and I gotta agree with it feeling a bit "clunky". Just feels odd when compared to GTR Evolution etc.

They seem to have complicated the graphics a little too much and tried to make it appeal to console gamers. Other than that its ok once you get used to how the cars handle etc. One thing I don't like is the braking. It would appear that you can go into a corner at any speed, brake at almost any point and still slow down in time. Also under steer seems to be non-existant.

Im using a Logitech G25 which has to be a must if your running it on PC or PS3. The vibration and feedback through the wheel is pretty good, much better than most other games.

Also the career mode seems a little bit too much. You get stars, driver levels and all sorts of other stuff that really isn't needed.

Not the best game I've ever played but massively better than the other recent NFS. Wonder what it will be like in after a week or 2 of it!

57 Clio Campus Sport
Just installed it and I gotta agree with it feeling a bit "clunky". Just feels odd when compared to GTR Evolution etc.

They seem to have complicated the graphics a little too much and tried to make it appeal to console gamers. Other than that its ok once you get used to how the cars handle etc. One thing I don't like is the braking. It would appear that you can go into a corner at any speed, brake at almost any point and still slow down in time. Also under steer seems to be non-existant.

Im using a Logitech G25 which has to be a must if your running it on PC or PS3. The vibration and feedback through the wheel is pretty good, much better than most other games.

Also the career mode seems a little bit too much. You get stars, driver levels and all sorts of other stuff that really isn't needed.

Not the best game I've ever played but massively better than the other recent NFS. Wonder what it will be like in after a week or 2 of it!

I'm on xbox 360. What driver settings are you using?

When in between other racers, I come up to a corner, brake, try to take the corner (which always seems to end it tyre screeching and a massive slowdown) then all the other cars catch up, it's like I'm constantly going in too fast but I'm not. The game makes me feel like I'm really bad at racing games (which I'm really not) I drive the same way I drive in other racers, usually I would be owning people but in this I have to try really really hard to get the same result.

And I actually came into the thread to post about the career thing, there's just so much stuff it ends up cluttered, billions of badges as well as points and the precision vs aggressive and the stars it's just too much.

I'm on xbox 360. What driver settings are you using?

When in between other racers, I come up to a corner, brake, try to take the corner (which always seems to end it tyre screeching and a massive slowdown) then all the other cars catch up, it's like I'm constantly going in too fast but I'm not. The game makes me feel like I'm really bad at racing games (which I'm really not) I drive the same way I drive in other racers, usually I would be owning people but in this I have to try really really hard to get the same result.

And I actually came into the thread to post about the career thing, there's just so much stuff it ends up cluttered, billions of badges as well as points and the precision vs aggressive and the stars it's just too much.

The game recommended "Experienced" which is ABS, Stability and TC. I turned stability off and TC to low and then changed the opponent level to High.

The BMW 135 with a body kit looks awesome though :D

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Maybe in abit, ill think about it. They always look good, then you get it, and it's just the same as usual!!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
For those of you (like me) using a 360 pad to play it on the PC, use these options to set the pad up.

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

SO SO SOOOO much better than default, and I can drift properly now