ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Freesat HD box

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Don't really want to pay over £100 for one.

Anyone seen any bargains?

(Cant get sky, shared LNB not allowed extra dishes.)

Last edited:
  Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Would strongly advise agaianst any of the makes listed on that Argos link. Having worked in electrical retail for 3 years i can assure you, you will be returning them within a few months. lol. Just spend some money on a decent one and save yourself the bother.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Would strongly advise agaianst any of the makes listed on that Argos link. Having worked in electrical retail for 3 years i can assure you, you will be returning them within a few months. lol. Just spend some money on a decent one and save yourself the bother.

Thanks.

But those are all the Freesat boxes on the market, so if i avoid them i have no tv.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
I had not started to look at freesat yet, so was unsure what was out there. If thats all thats avialable than thats not good news. Well you have a years warranty, so just keep hold of your reciept and when some better units hit the market place upgrade.

Just wave the white flag, admit defeat and get Sky.

If you go on their website, click the banner and you can order.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
1 lnb = HD sky with no record facility.

Unless i start tinkering with the shared dish.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
1 lnb = HD sky with no record facility.

Unless i start tinkering with the shared dish.

You can record perfectly fine with 1 feed from the LmB. I do it all the time.

Granted you can't record one channel and watch another but you can still record.

Oh and it's LNB

Last edited by a moderator:
  RIP Dan
Are Freesat HD+ boxes out yet, ie HD and recording facilities??

Dont tell me to get Sky, i have just cancelled as i hate them.

Sorry for hijack Tom but i feel your pain and need to record.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Im considering cancelling Sky too.

How did you get on with cancelling? were they arsey about it?

1998 BMW e46 323i
As far as I know there are only two different manufacturers making freesat HD boxes right now. Humax or the 'Bush' boxes, which are marketed under different brand names.

I have the Humax and it's a good bit of kit IMO. Humax have a long history in digiboxes apparently

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Two hundred and ninety nine pounds?!

WHATTHAFACKISTHATALLLABBBAAT!!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I have a humax PVR lost the remote control and had to pay £30 for a new one!

RIP Dan
Im considering cancelling Sky too.

How did you get on with cancelling? were they arsey about it?

It was a long story but we dont have VAT here and they wouldnt back date it as they have been stealing from me for the last 6 years as far as im concerned.

So i wrote them a letter saying, give me the money or sort me out with a HD box and i will stay as a customer. If not cancel it.

They wouldnt budge, nor would I, so cancelled Sky.

Dont miss it, miss recording the tiny amount of progs i want to watch.

So as soon as a Freesat HD+ box is out im getting one.

£300? i dont give a fcuk.....i paid near enough that in a year to those stupid money grabbing pr1ck.

I will also sell my Sky+ box to subsidise the new one.

Did i mention that i fcuking hate Sky?;)

vers le haut doigt milieu
Tom,

All Sky dishes come with quad LNB's these are high and low band horizontal and high and low band vertical. The reason you are paying the extra for the Freesat HD box is because sky still own the epg and charge the BBC to use it. However you have a two options:

1) Humax box from richer sounds for £99
http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct_clearancebargains&pid=HUMA-HDCI2000

2)buy a sky box of eBay where the card has run out of subscription and is authorised for all free to air channels and wait until Christmas time when they will bring out sky box's with hard disc recorders.

HTH...

RIP Dan
Well to bump an old thread....

I finally got the Humax Freesat box with HD and 320G HDD today.

Impressive so far and easy to use, only 2 HD channels so far but better than nothing.

Paid 275 for the box, as I said in a previous post, its cheaper than fcuking Sky+ ;-)

If you want to record then get one.

Like the HD btw, but god does it show up the ugly people. Good job im not on TV.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
You can record perfectly fine with 1 feed from the LmB. I do it all the time.

Granted you can't record one channel and watch another but you can still record.

Oh and it's LNB

Yep you can, i have sky hd on a shared dish.

All you have to do is create a manual recording that last 24hrs and repeat it daily, it doesn't take up and hd space as its recording nothing on tuner number 2. You just have to delete the failed recordings on the planner from time to time.

Oh and just in case you wonder, you have to do the above because if you dont and for example you press record on say Lost, it auto defaults to tuner 2 which will have no signal. So if you do the above tuner 2 is busy so it records via tuner 1

Hope that helps

gav

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yep you can, i have sky hd on a shared dish.

All you have to do is create a manual recording that last 24hrs and repeat it daily, it doesn't take up and hd space as its recording nothing on tuner number 2. You just have to delete the failed recordings on the planner from time to time.

Oh and just in case you wonder, you have to do the above because if you dont and for example you press record on say Lost, it auto defaults to tuner 2 which will have no signal. So if you do the above tuner 2 is busy so it records via tuner 1

Hope that helps

gav

The new HD EPG supports single LNB configurations as well, although it's something that Sky turn on and off over the air when you tell them rather than an option in the settings menu.

In dual mode apparently this trick does not work anymore and in single mode you completely lose Anytime. (Not sure if that's a massive loss, but I'm one of the people who does actually use it).

I believe this is so that the box can cache the EPG data overnight where it would normally grab the anytime streams.

I'm loving the new EPG, finally you can cick 'i' on a programme whilst in quickview and it gives you the info for the programme you have highlighted, not what you're watching! Hooray!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
The new HD EPG supports single LNB configurations as well, although it's something that Sky turn on and off over the air when you tell them rather than an option in the settings menu.

In dual mode apparently this trick does not work anymore and in single mode you completely lose Anytime. (Not sure if that's a massive loss, but I'm one of the people who does actually use it).

I believe this is so that the box can cache the EPG data overnight where it would normally grab the anytime streams.

I'm loving the new EPG, finally you can cick 'i' on a programme whilst in quickview and it gives you the info for the programme you have highlighted, not what you're watching! Hooray!

Oh wonderful, thats a nice f**k up for me then!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Well to bump an old thread....

I finally got the Humax Freesat box with HD and 320G HDD today.

Impressive so far and easy to use, only 2 HD channels so far but better than nothing.

Paid 275 for the box, as I said in a previous post, its cheaper than fcuking Sky+ ;-)

If you want to record then get one.

Like the HD btw, but god does it show up the ugly people. Good job im not on TV.

Realistically do you get all the channels that run on sky from 101 to around 160?

f**king pain in the arse paying £40 for sky and another £12 for Setanta. Cant remember the last time i actually watched something i pay for.