ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help!! 16v (doing my head in)

right guys, had the problem of car not idling good and when warm the car would kangaroo (acting as though it is underfuelling) and make the gear stick shake wildly, firstly i get told its the coolant temp sensor, so i changed that and it sorted the idling but then when war it started the kangarooing again, i checked the MAP sensor and all seemed well but i disconnected it and took the vacumn pipe off which was clear of any dirty. put that all back and now when i start it, it starts but then cuts out straight away but once warm it will tick over but the revs are all over the place and it still has that underfuelling/stutturing/kangooring when warm. also the exhaust fumes STINKS of something (not fuel)... any ideas guys as its really doing my head in

in the last 5 weeks i have replaced- dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, leads, fuel filter.

james

make sure the map sensor is connected properly, change the lambda sensor aswell mine was doing waht you described and it was the lambda sensor, also clean the icv.

forgot to mention, i have also cleaned the icv and the map sensor all seems to be secure and the connector is clipped up securely.... sorry to sound dense but were is the lambda sensor and what does it do??

james

do you have a cat?

Im not a mechanic but my dad is and I helped him working on a VW van and the same problems as you describe and it was the cat

change your fuel filter - its sounding to me like there is a whole load of crap in there. That would explain the smell, the funny revs and the kangerooing - in my opinion of course.

And for you peice of mind, chaning the fuel filter is one of the easist things you can do on yer valver - i did mine and the dirference was pretty outstanding!