ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need New Front Brakes..

hi, car was just in for its service today, and they said i am going to need new brake pads and discs at the front.. would i be best going for aftermarket ones? if so, which ones? or just the standard replacements? for my 182 cup..

also the car has just gone 11k, do they normally need new brakes at this milage? still on original tyres so i dont really drive like a complete idiot! lol

Cup 172
Brembo dics (just like OE but with wear indicators) and DS2500 Pads.... Try Yozzasport... you can get these plus braided lines for under 200 i think...

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
you need new discs ?? u sure ? u checked them yourself ? if not then do so.
im still on original discs on 18k miles but nearing my 3rd set of pads and tyres so i dnt hang about if u get me.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Spot on.

That's what i got from Yoz. Goodridge hoses, brembo disks, ferodo DS2500 pads, and better brake fluid. £200 all in... Very good when warm!

Tyson.

MX5 turbo
Mine's in for the 24k service tomorrow,and i'm quite sure i'm gonna need new front pads.
Any one know how much i'm gonna get stung for ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
New disks at 11k ?? wtf ? im on 52k miles and still on original disks with plenty to spare..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
tybo uk said:
Mine's in for the 24k service tomorrow,and i'm quite sure i'm gonna need new front pads.
Any one know how much i'm gonna get stung for ?

Change em yourself, its piss easy (15-25 min job) and there is a guide on here how to do it. Save yourself about £40 on labour

Lux'd Glacier White R26
A lot Tybo.. Renault wanted over £300 just for doing the rears.. Lol. Obviously you can guess where i told em to go! Tossers!

Tyson.

i thought there was no way i needed new dicsc on 11k, how do i go about checking myself the wear? unless its because they are corroded etc?

MX5 turbo
Tyson-182 said:
A lot Tybo.. Renault wanted over £300 just for doing the rears.. Lol. Obviously you can guess where i told em to go! Tossers!

Tyson.

WHAT !!!
£300 and that was just for pads and fitting ?

How much do thay actually charge for just the pads then ?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
My disks still had plent of wear left, but i changed them anyway, the new pads and disk bite a lot harder which is nice, and you dont get that spongy feeling on the brake pedal due to the hoses. Just change them Justin.

Or get some GDI 4-pots!

Tyson.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
tybo uk said:
WHAT !!!
£300 and that was just for pads and fitting ?

How much do thay actually charge for just the pads then ?

Probably £150, i'm not entirely sure, cos i never buy off Renault. Labour is the major factor. They think it takes 4 hrs to change disks and pads! Madness. Don't it yourself, or get a local garage to do it. Dont use Renault.

Tyson.

Tyson-182 said:
^^ Spot on.

That's what i got from Yoz. Goodridge hoses, brembo disks, ferodo DS2500 pads, and better brake fluid. £200 all in... Very good when warm!

Tyson.

Thats the set im looking at..

MX5 turbo
Tyson-182 said:
Probably £150, i'm not entirely sure, cos i never buy off Renault. Labour is the major factor. They think it takes 4 hrs to change disks and pads! Madness. Don't it yourself, or get a local garage to do it. Dont use Renault.

Tyson.

Cheers
No,i Wasn't gonna use them,i was just curious as to what stupid figures they were likely to come up with:eek:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
justinRT said:
i thought there was no way i needed new dicsc on 11k, how do i go about checking myself the wear? unless its because they are corroded etc?

Get a vernier caliper on em mate . Minimum thickness for front discs is 21.8mm . No way should they be worn down after just 11k unless you've got something seriously wrong with your calipers . They are 24mm when new .Ask them why they need changing , how worn are they i.e what thickness they are down to , if they are recommending they need changing they must have measured them and should have a record of the measurement .

They all corode around the edge and form a small rusty lip but thats nothing to worry about .

Sounds like they are after your pound notes mate :eek:

just what i was thinking, tbh, the brakes feel fine.. just dunno if i want to fork out £200 for the brakes, then another £100-£200 to get them fitted

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Can't you get somebody to give you a hand , changing the discs ( if they need doing which i very much doubt ) and pads is dead easy . Get a haynes manual , same principle for all discs and pads .

I'd give ya a hand but your a few hundred miles away , lol .

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Still on original tyres but they're trying to sting you for front discs and pads?

Tell them to go ahead with the work.
Tell them that you'll watch them while they do the work.
Tell them that you'll want to check the wear of the removed discs.

Tell them that if, as expected they are within tolerance, you will insert a perfectly useable and serviceable front disc up the service managers arse.

Seriously, they ARE taking the p!ss.

i dont actually have a vernier gauge, but got a mate who might have one.. will have a look.. going by the tyres, there is still a good 4mm-5mm thread EASY on each one..

dont mind changing the pads/hoses/fluid etc, but not really one who likes to get ripped off..

MRBILLYUK said:
Can't you get somebody to give you a hand , changing the discs ( if they need doing which i very much doubt ) and pads is dead easy . Get a haynes manual , same principle for all discs and pads .

I'd give ya a hand but your a few hundred miles away , lol .

Thanks for the offer mate ;) but i dont know if i would trust myself with my brakes, managed to fit my exhaust/decat and lower the car, but think brakes is just something i would rather get done by a garage

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
justinRT said:
Thanks for the offer mate ;) but i dont know if i would trust myself with my brakes, managed to fit my exhaust/decat and lower the car, but think brakes is just something i would rather get done by a garage

^^^^ If you can do all that brakes would be a walk in the park mate .

Cup 172
Now then mate. Just re-read your post. 11k miles???? Are you joking? Ive done 20k on my discs and they are not even half worn....
When i bought mine it was on 13k and had been parked up for a while. The discs were corroded beyond repair... But.. I managed to convince reno it had only been left for a week and complained so much that they replcaed the discs and pads for nowt...

They are taking the mick. Might even be worth taking the wheel off and having a look. If there is nowt wrong you could really kick up a stink both with the dealers and Reno UK..

Will definately be having a look this weekend, would quite like uprated brakes, but i wasnt quite ready to replace mine yet.. :)

clio 200 F4Rt
how about some shed motorsport compbrake 4 pots? far superior to any uprated discs and pads.

more expensive yes, but far far better!

we will fit them for free too! :D

MY10 R35 GTR
check em for corrosion.

THey sadi i needed new fron brakes last wk because of corrosion and wanted me to pay. NO chance corrosion is there problem. Got new disc under warrenty.

Unless u want up rated ones..... BREMBOS!!!!!

fmp_ said:
how about some shed motorsport compbrake 4 pots? far superior to any uprated discs and pads.

we will fit them for free too! :D

On a bit of a budget just now mate.. would love a set though ;)

Funnycar55 said:
check em for corrosion.

THey sadi i needed new fron brakes last wk because of corrosion and wanted me to pay. NO chance corrosion is there problem. Got new disc under warrenty.

Unless u want up rated ones..... BREMBOS!!!!!

Yeah i was thinking that on the way home about what you said.. probably be corroded as i wash it too much! ha ha

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
Tyson-182 said:
^^ Spot on.

Tyson.

ive just had these brake pads fitted, and ferodo discs, cost 110 my mates dad works for them he fitted them all 4 free:D they do squeek abit when cold, do urs mate?

Broken Diesel Megane :(
think they are after your money juz. there is no chance your discs are corroded. even the pads should still be fine i would of thought. change of fluid is prob all thats needed. but pads are cheap enough to do too.

Unless you have problems with stock I'd stick with them ds2500's are expensive and squeeky from cold.

£300 for rears isn't abnormal its say 1.5 hours labour at £70 an hour then pads are £40 list from memory and disk are £160 or so as they have pressed in bearing unlike the fronts.

Brakes could be worn though. Renault spec doens't let them wear all the way down. I think stock are 16mm and I think Renault say 10mm is worn and should be replaced but you cna wear them down more than 10mm.
Same goes for disk Renault new are 24mm I think and worn are 21.8mm.

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
my discs were fu*ked after 30000, took em off and u could see how bad they were. but urs shouldnt be after that few miles

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Tyson-182 said:
My disks still had plent of wear left, but i changed them anyway, the new pads and disk bite a lot harder which is nice, and you dont get that spongy feeling on the brake pedal due to the hoses. Just change them Justin.

Or get some GDI 4-pots!

Tyson.

we will fit them for free too!

Im thinking about four pots when i need to change my brakes.
Which are the ones to have? And roughly how much are we talking?

Dave

DiBraggio said:
think they are after your money juz. there is no chance your discs are corroded. even the pads should still be fine i would of thought. change of fluid is prob all thats needed. but pads are cheap enough to do too.

going to get jamie to look at them this weekend :D.. bit annoyed cause i know them quite well aswell, unless they are being honest, if they have corroded after 11k, i'll be in seeing Mr Renault

your not letting that gimp look at them are you?! ah well nice knowing you juz. he has belmont vauxhall training! braver man than me.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
edde said:
£300 for rears isn't abnormal its say 1.5 hours labour at £70 an hour then pads are £40 list from memory and disk are £160 or so as they have pressed in bearing unlike the fronts.

Brakes could be worn though. Renault spec doens't let them wear all the way down. I think stock are 16mm and I think Renault say 10mm is worn and should be replaced but you cna wear them down more than 10mm.
Same goes for disk Renault new are 24mm I think and worn are 21.8mm.

Its the fronts edde that he's been told need replacing . Rears are 8mm new , minimum 7mm .

i hope to god i do lol. slightly worried after his performance lol. eh yeah i do. why you want to borrow it?