ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need new rear calipers... but where from?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Shortly after I got my car I noticed the handbrake cable had broken on one side because the calier mech had seized. I bought a pair of new calipers on eBay for £100 which were obviously China crap. The calipers share fitment with a few other cars but the pistons on the 1*2 seem to be smaller 30mm while the pug ones are 32mm.

I rebuilt them a few months back and some genius used 31mm pistons - I'm guessing as a half way house. Since then the pedal has been a little spongy, not terrible but not as good as it was.

Because I wasn't happy with them I fitted cheap ECP pads just t get through an MOT and on with life - last night one of the pads broke up, ripping the backing plate and fitting kit out with it grrrr. So its time to sort the issue properly.

Has anyone bought these before?

Or have any good recommendations on how to not buy Chinese calipers?

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
With current discount ECP are exactly £182 when you have taken the old ones back. They don't come with the pad carrier just the mech so seems expensive compared with the SSL units on eBay which also seem to be an exchange - not sure they would be happy to receive my calipers back as a swap....

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trouble is I'm not worried about the paint or the refurb, mine are Chinese with the wrong piston diameter so I wouldn't want to send them off to be refurbished... I want to buy calipers with the correct piston diameter.... 😢

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure he has stock, if not I might have a pair of calipers or at very least know someone with some
Cheers Kyle, it may well come down to that - I'll have a chat with my self today as I might buy the Pagid ones from ecp just so I can get back on the road quickly. I've set aside tomorrow to fit PMS rear spacers, the front spacers I bought from you and the new wheels so I'm already stripping the rear hub assembly down

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Kyle, it may well come down to that - I'll have a chat with my self today as I might buy the Pagid ones from ecp just so I can get back on the road quickly. I've set aside tomorrow to fit PMS rear spacers, the front spacers I bought from you and the new wheels so I'm already stripping the rear hub assembly down
Sound, if not give me a shout mate. Dm's are always open

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I bought some front calipers from SSL and was impressed. Fast delivery of new units and collection of the old. I've also heard a lot of good feedback about MS, although I've not used them.