ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NEED THE FACTS BABY!!! PLEASE HELP

hello everyone..i have been doing many searches and i cant seem to get a definitive answer..please could someone help once and for all then i can retire to mount doom and destroy my ring.....

i have a viper kit coming shortly and i want to know is the r-sport chip the same as the hillpower chip? does the hill power chip allow for mods to be done? i.e decat, exhaust, and viper cos i have heard you cant mod the car with these on??? am i better getting the kit and exhaust fitted before then being chipped and finally rolling roaded?

which would be a sensible exhaust to buy for reasonable gains? magnex? ktec or mongoose? dont want anything to loud!!!

the ktec decat will that fit the ktec exhausts only?

they quote 6-8bhp is that on its own or with a system?

i think that is everything..thanks to everyone who can help cos i want the most power from my cup? any other suggestion from anyone would be appreciate!!! thanks again and merry xmas

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yes, the R-Sport ECU and the Group N one Hill Power supply are the same.

The ECU will cope with simple breathing mods i.e. filter, zorst, etc... but if you start going for serious stuff like headwork & cams, then you cant actually change anything as the ECU is not re-programmable, youd want a Dastek or similar.

No, the K-Tec sports cat will fit onto the standard exhaust system, or other aftermarket systems, not just the K-Tec ones.

As for the 6-8bhp gain, we are not entirely sure about this, so there is no definitive answer, youd have to ask K-Tec themselves.

Cuppy - given that a straight though decat pipe with the standard system didnt give me any more peak power, I cant imagine how a pipe that retains the cat will give 6-8bhp peak on a standard system.

cheers guys thanks for that anymore opinions anyone? i too believe 6-8 bhp is rather good for a single mod onto the standard system it must be combined with the ktec exhsut as well!!!.....the price is rather LARGE as well for small gains..what about across the range where will i loose and gain from the de cat

I dont think youll lose anything from a de-cat.

Mine only gave a 1bhp peak increase, but 300rpm lower, the gains throughout the rev range were about 3-5bhp.

I had the same as Tom_16v with my 172. About 3bhp up on standard mid-range, but actually 1bhp down on standard at peak!

Having said that, my best 1/4 mile time went from 15.195 to 14.673 with just the de-cat pipe being the difference between runs, so I cant complain too much.

could that rhys be to you being a better driver of the car since your last run....did you actually loose power then..what about exhausts then to go with the decat..tom do you think the ktec one is a good one then? or a standard decat pipe would do the trick just the same??????????

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 26 December 2003

could that rhys be to you being a better driver of the car since your last run....did you actually loose power then..
Might have improved to some extent, but Ive not heard of a standard 172 getting under 15 seconds, so 14.67 is a 0.33 improvement over standard. Thats not a bad amount for such a cheap modification.

so you just got the pipe then mate? did you have any trouble with the sensors? where could i get one of these babies from..cheers bud

rhys is that where you got yours from mate? i have seen a ste somewhere that does them for mk2 172 and they are around 100 i think which is alot cheaper than ktec.....WHICH IS BETTER KTEC DECAT OR OTHER DECAT ? i thought the non ktec would be better because the cat is gone completely

The k-tec de-cat pipe fits the mk2 if you have a k-tec exhaust with the telescopic section in it, as the cat section on the mk1 (which it was designed for) is 2 inches shorter than the mk2 cat.

(I am of course talking about the decat pipe and not the sports cat)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i fitted a mk2 exhaust to a mk1 and noticed i had to pull out the telescopic joints fully out so the tail pipe lined up with the bumper so the mk1 + mk2 cat pipes must be quite a difference in length like you say.

it was 289 +vat i chose the sports cat to keep it legal also the de cat is to loud with the magnex full system.i think it does make a slight difference but the emissions light wont go out and the tickover is all over the place.not really sure if its worth it to be honest its a bit pricey

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

£337.23 for the k-tec sports cat, sounds like u had better get them to look at it m8 if its acting up

i let them know but david at ktec seems to think the ecu needs time to adjust and the light will go out.I dont think that will happen myself

bloody hell this ktec decat is starting to worry me now..with the sensors and lights etc....david come on mate help us out with this one!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Kevins172 on 27 December 2003

no does that work rhys
I once switched an ECU in a Williams 3 for one that had been in a Williams 2. The Willy 3 has ABS, but the Willy 2 didnt. I drove around with the ABS off and a warning light on for a couple of days. Someone then suggested re-setting the ECU by leaving it disconnected for a few hours. When I plugged it back in, the ABS worked and the warning light stayed out.

Cant guarantee itll work, but its worth a try. Just remember to make sure youve got your radio code handy before doing it!

Just had a thought - how many lambda sensors does your mk1 172 have? Mine only has one and Ive had no problem with lights coming on. When youve got two lambdas (as later mk1 172s have), I think you need to disconnect the second sensor. Ive not heard of anyone who has actually disconnected the second sensor having any lights coming on. Maybe you should check out the sensor situation?

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 27 December 2003

im after the performance cat to prevent any troubles in the future.
But it looks like the only person having a problem with warning lights is the guy with the performance cat :confused:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 28 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 27 December 2003

im after the performance cat to prevent any troubles in the future.
But it looks like the only person having a problem with warning lights is the guy with the performance cat :confused:
time will tell.i think he has a sensor or connection fault nothing to do with the cat.his warning light came on two soon.the computer wont have been able to self test and fail the cat however it would pick up a connection/faulty sensor problem immediatly.

So Kevin, when exactly did the lights come on. Was it right after the cat was fitted, or were the lights off at first?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i think he said they come on almost immediatly after fitting the cat. he started a topic about the problem not long ago.

Quote: Originally posted by Kevins172 on 29 December 2003

it was just a few seconds after it was started the car has been chipped i dont know if this would make a difference
Well, Jay172 is a Reanult mechanic, and Im not, but Id still recommend that you try disconencting the 2nd sensor. Im still not aware of anyone who has disconnected the 2nd sensor having any problems with dashboard lights. There are people who have driven their de-catted cars for 000s of miles without the lights coming on.

Still, for the money, Id be a bit pissed if the sports de-cat didnt work. Have you spoken to KTec about this?

i have but they are shut now until the 5th. ill keep you posted.I dont think many people have bought the sports cat yet so i dont know if anyone else has had problems

right with my exhaust and decat i have had an increase to 152bhp at the wheels works out about 182 ish at the fly think this reading was maybe a bit low compared to the other cars that ran with more mods but it was the second highest onthe day highest was 154 and that was the same exhaust and decat and no other mods

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 29 December 2003

right with my exhaust and decat i have had an increase to 152bhp at the wheels works out about 182 ish at the fly think this reading was maybe a bit low compared to the other cars that ran with more mods but it was the second highest onthe day highest was 154 and that was the same exhaust and decat and no other mods
Is your second sensor disconnected all together? Have you had any dash lights?

second sensor is taken off totally at the clip no lights at all ever in about 3 k and its been driven in all sorts of ways in that time

spoken to renault about it and they said yeah it does not need the second sensor at all as all it thinks when its taken out is that the engine is hot all the time so chucks more fuel in there so not a bad side effect