ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need to pick your brains..

Titanium F/F 182
I'm planning to give my car the clean of its life both inside and out on Saturday. I also plan to clay it. Just a few questions I need to ask.
1.When I use the clay where shouldn't I touch?
2. I've bought some CarPlan Nanomeric Paint work and seal protect. Should this be put on before or after I wax it?
3. I've got some Megs Hot Rims bit I've read it can damage coloured alloys. Is this true?
4. Do you use a new clay bar everytime you clay?
5. After the bodywork and windows is it worth going over with clay the alloys before I wax them?

Method I plan to use is:
Wash - 2 bucket
Clay
Wash
Carplan stuff
Megs Caruba wax
wheels and wax (cheap stuff)

Is this right?

Cheers Andy

106 GTi
1 - You can clay everything if you want, paint, glass and palstics and metalwork.
2 - No experience of the Carplan stuff but I would use it before the wax.
3 - Hot Rims should be fine in alloys in good shape, avoid it on damaged or flaking ones, I avoid acid based cleaners myself.
4 - Divide the claybar into 3 use a new piece when you need it. You should only need to clay 1 or 2 times a year anyway. Save the old used bit of clay for wheels.
5 - Worth claying the alloy wheels yes.

Process looks fine.

Titanium F/F 182
Rich said:
1 - You can clay everything if you want, paint, glass and palstics and metalwork.
2 - No experience of the Carplan stuff but I would use it before the wax.
3 - Hot Rims should be fine in alloys in good shape, avoid it on damaged or flaking ones, I avoid acid based cleaners myself.
4 - Divide the claybar into 3 use a new piece when you need it. You should only need to clay 1 or 2 times a year anyway. Save the old used bit of clay for wheels.
5 - Worth claying the alloy wheels yes.

Process looks fine.

Cheers Rich. My alloys (well one) has been kerbed but high up. the paint is scratched away but its smooth and not flaking or chipped. Will it still be safe?

106 GTi
If it gets under the into/under the damaged area there is a chance it *may* cause the finish to flake.

Skoda Fabia vRS
hot rims is actually a fairly neutral wheel cleaner when it comes to ph level compared to most, try and keep it away from the damaged area but to be honest i think it will more than likely be fine

1.6 focus zetec....
I used hot rims on my chrome alloys for ages after id kerbed then and had no problems at all!! As for your process....wheels and wax at the bottom??? i hope that doesnt mean clean the wheels and wax them?!?

Kiza