ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nervous steering, torque steer and no traction

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Drove my Clio today, in the rain, and when coming off roundabouts with any sort of throttle (I mean at all, not just full throttle), the steering wheel pulls to the left and the car under steers like crazy, almost as if the tyres are bald.

The tyres are fine, decent tread on them and pressures are ok. The steering wheel is straight, but seven in a straight line, the steering is very light and nervous.

Tracking is the first thing I’ll get checked but honestly it seems like something more than that.

Any ideas?

inner/outer tie rods, rack bushes, rack shagged, feeling the effect of rubber in the column more so, good shout could be loose or old top mounts, lower ball joints

Also roads are banked so pulling left is common, especially if theres something loose the wheels will almost snap to the left, or if theres ruts they can feel like shopping trolley wheels.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
I’ll check the tyres but I’m pretty sure they’re right, good idea though.

I’ll Jack it up tomorrow too and see if there’s anything obviously with play in, hoping it’s not the rack, that’d be a pain!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Also roads are banked so pulling left is common, especially if theres something loose the wheels will almost snap to the left, or if theres ruts they can feel like shopping trolley wheels.

Nah, pretty sure it’s not the camber of the road, it’s also fine on rutted dual carriageway, it’s literally only with a bit of left lock on when going straight over a roundabout back on to the main bit of the road.

Nah, pretty sure it’s not the camber of the road, it’s also fine on rutted dual carriageway, it’s literally only with a bit of left lock on when going straight over a roundabout back on to the main bit of the road.
Could just be alignment, get a free check at kwik fit can’t you?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What tyres you running?

Imho start by checking for play in anything then going for alignment.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Jacked it up today to check everything over, nothing seems particularly untoward except there is a tiny bit of play if I hold the wheels at 3/9 o’clock and wiggle them.

What I think is happening is the wheels are pointing the right way most of the time but under acceleration they toe out which makes it pull around.

the only thing I couldn’t really check was the ball joints at the steering rack end but I think it’s that or the rack at fault :(